Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grrrnthumb

HAVE: Anyone growing tropicals going to Green Elephant?

grrrnthumb
19 years ago

I'm looking forward to the big trade, but I'm wondering if anyone else is a tropical zonestretcher out there. Any of you have greenhouses you overwinter tropicals in?

If anyone else has tropical type plants to trade, I have many to exchange, like bannanas, orchids (lots), brugmansias, epiphylums, palms, nepenthes, echivarias, and more.

If not, then I should also have a bunch of hardy perennials and some seeds for you as well. :)

- Tom

Comments (9)

• reinbeaux
    19 years ago

My bananas don't have pups yet (cavendish and goldfinger) and I just took a couple of cuttings on my brugs I received in a trade (one charles grimaldi and one insignis x pink flower) I have a few passion vines ready - although mostly the hardy or semi hardy ones (caerulea blue crown, constance elliot, blue boutique, incence, maybe a rooted 'jeanette', morifolia, one foetida, one lutea) I also have lemon grass, ginger, tumeric (just sprouting), arrowroot, taro root (common grocery store taro), pineapple sage, tangerine sage, australian bush mint, honeydew melon sage, lemon verbena, several scented geraniums (15+ different ones) amd for VERY special trades lychee, avacado, coffee (arabica), rooted bay

• reinbeaux
    19 years ago

Saw your trade list. I have Brug. 'Shredded' although it is not big enough to take cuttings from yet. I also have Brug. 'Isabella' --- it isn't large enough to cut on yet either. I would definitely trade brug cuttings when mine grow some. I will be getting several brugs in a trade that will be shipped on monday - some will be rooted cuttings and others will be unrooted cuttings - when they grow, same deal - I'll trade cuttings for cuttings (or for other plants I want) Here are the brugs I will get next week (except one she said wouldn't be shipped until later - I forget which)

tequila sunrise
    rosea
    knightii
    sauveolens pink
    and the cuttings:
    frosty pink
    jamacan gold
    jean pasco
    jamacan yellow
    versi peach

• firevicar
    19 years ago

I have Verbesina microptera which has a tropical look to it. It grows to 10 feet tall, and makes an impressive backdrop for the garden. Cool winged stems.

Here is a link that might be useful: See what else is growing in my garden.

• surfgirl21
    19 years ago

Hello!

All I grow is tropicals. Bananas are my specialty. I checked your trade list and I didn't see any bananas listed, although your post said you have some. What varieties do you have? Also, do you have any zingiber gingers?

Sarah

• grrrnthumb
    Original Author
    19 years ago

FireVicar do you have any of your Gunnera manicata? I'll be bringing your rare Brug sanguinea plant if you still want it.
    Sarah right now the only one with good size pups is the Super Dwarf Cavendish which I see you already have. I have lots of stuff not on the list though. I might be persuaded to part with a plumeria if you have one of your Velutinas or a Raja Puri available. My zingiber gingers got knocked back hard last year. I divided them too rough too late & kept them too wet overwinter, so I only have one barley hanging on right now; maybe next year. I have lots of orchids if anyone is interested. Sarah you haven't gotten hooked on brugmansias yet?? It's only a matter of time. :)

• firevicar
    19 years ago

I do not have splits of gunnera this year. I had to start over last summer and the plants are just "adolescents."

Regards,

FireVicar

• firevicar
    19 years ago

See the Brug I posted on the Green Elephant string.

FireVicar

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Elephant string on the Pacific NW Garden Exchange forum

• ian_wa
    19 years ago

I grow a lot of plants native to the southern Hemisphere, as well as unusual hardy succulents and other things. I have a load of Gunnera chilensis seedlings, some hardy Eucalyptus and maybe I can scrounge up a treefern and a few other odds and ends. If there is enough interest I will try to make it to the trade - looks like I have part of the day free I think. Do any of you brug folk have the all-yellow form of B. sanguinea?

• grrrnthumb
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Ian you should definately come! I'd love to trade for your gunnera and a tree fern (what else you got :)?). Hopefully I'll have time time to get a bunch of interesting stuff together to bring.
    Sorry I don't have the yellow form of sanguinea, just std red seedlings.