Return to the Pacific Northwest Garden Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: Gunnera manicata seed head

Posted by greenelephant Woodinville WA (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 5, 09 at 19:56

Looking for a fat ripe Gunnera manicata seed stalk.

I'll be at the Green Elephant Sat Nov 7. But if you have one in the Redmond/Woodinville/Duvall area I'd drive out to harvest it.

Jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Gunnera manicata seed head

I have a few, but I'm in Eugene. I'll cut them tomorrow, just in case you don't find one elsewhere, or in case someone else wants one. BTW, do you know how to grow a gunnera from seed? I'll try it myself if it isn't too difficult. After all, one can always use just one more gian gunnera in one's yard, right? lol

o

Rainydaywoman,

There's got to be a gunnera closer to me than Eugene, and thanks for the offer.

If you want to try some yourself, Gunneras do well sown in the fall. I just fill a flat with dirt. Then I take a butcher knife and slice all the finger-nubbies off the seed stalk, letting them fall on top of the flat. Do not cover. Let the whole thing sit all winter. All the pulp rots away and the seeds fall to the surface. They germinate in the spring. (Never let them dry out.) The seedlings are very tiny, and slow growing. But in 3 years a few will make pretty nice plants.

o

Rainydaywoman: I'd love to try your seeds. I have a large seed bin and I will do my best to find something you might like. I know Jim has a lot of experience growing these from seed and I am excited to give it a try.
Jim, I wish I could help but my only gunnera died a few years ago so now I am motivated to try again. Thanks

o

Flora2: Where are you located? I'd be glad to share. I may try what Jim mentioned, and then try to give the plants away, but while my friends admire the two I have, they absolutely refuse to plant them in their yards! I love any plant with big leaves.

o

Jim
Did you ever find a seed head?
I see the plant at Emery's nursery has a seed head but it does not look ripe yet.

o

rainydaywoman, wanted to send you an email but can't find email addie for you. If my email link here isn't working you could send email to me at my hotmail account, user name HarleyLady_01

o

Thanks all,

I found a ripe seed head.

Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Alaska and British Columbia are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Pacific Northwest Garden Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here