Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rainydaywoman_z8

WANT: Willamette Valley Trade

rainydaywoman_z8
14 years ago

Is anyone in the Will Valley doing a swap, or would anyone like assistance in planning a swap? I'm in Eugene, but 'have plants, will travel'.

Comments (22)

• rain2fall
    14 years ago

I'm interested, but I don't have much to trade -- yet. At least, we should get a Willamette plant swap system going, don't you think?

Rain2Fall

• greenelephant
    14 years ago

This is a superb idea. It's gardening paradise.

• harleylady
    14 years ago

I would be glad to host a swap. Some GWers will remember that when I lived and owned a motel on the SW Washington coast that I hosted a full weekend-long swap, garden tour, and workshop. I also attended a number of the Washington swaps but have not been able to get up there in recent years. I have lots of plants to share, lots of room to park, etc. I would, however, welcome some help in organizing, getting the word out, etc. I live in the Willamette Valley, very close to the I-5 / Hwy 34 intersection. I lived in Eugene about 5 years ago and tried to get one organized then but there wasn't much interest. I'm willing to try again.

• harleylady
    14 years ago

It's almost exactly half-way between Eugene and Salem so might be a good location for all.

• rainydaywoman_z8
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Harleylady, it sounds like you are the one who knows how to get started, so why don't you give us some directions and ask us to help you? Sounds like I live close to you. I'd appreciate some details about what you do to get started and get the word out, etc.

Let's do it!

You show 8 PNW and Baja 10. Meaning you spend part of your time in Baja? If so, I imagine you grow succulents. I'm on my way to southern Mexico in January; love the rainforest plants.

• harleylady
    14 years ago

Rainydaywoman, sounds good, let's go for it. First, let's start a thread to see how many GWers we have here that would be interested in attending and a couple of possible dates this coming spring. I can put out the word at other forums I belong to, friends in the hardy plant society, and the nearby garden clubs (Brownsville, Lebanon, etc.). Some people put notices up in their local libraries and on CraigsList and Freecycle.

I need to remove the Baja from my zone listing. After 8 years of spending winters in Mexico, we're selling out there. This will be my first full winter here since 2000. In Baja I did have succulents and cacti, bougainvillea, many flowering vines, avocado, citrus, guava, mango, papaya, and made a living arbor/hut of ficus woven together over a big round slate patio. All our water was trucked in. We had a 2K gal cistern and in summer ran drip from that and winters watered with gray water. There's only so much puttering in a cactus garden so I was always glad to get home to my "real" garden.

• rainydaywoman_z8
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Harleylady: Let's do it. I'll follow your lead, if you don't mind. Do you wait until the spring date is set to put out notices, or do you mean put out notices to see who may be interested? (Duhhh)

Now I have a reason to pot up starts---usually, because I tend to grow big gnarly plants like gunnera, friends don't want my starts. Now would be a good time for me to actually join the Eugene Garden Club.

• harleylady
    14 years ago

I think it's probably a little early to put out notices since people will be busy with holiday activities over the next couple months. I'm thinking maybe Jan or Feb.notice would allow enough time to pot divisions, root cuttings, etc. Any dates for the trade that would work especially well for you? We should avoid same dates as MG and HPSO plant sales.

I'm not familiar with the Eugene Garden Club but I belong to the Willamette Valley Hardy Plant Group in Eugene since it's a little closer for me than Salem and also the Corvallis Evening Garden Club. I have more than enough stuff to donate to the club sale and for trade.

• beachhouse4me
    14 years ago

Hi Harley & Rainyday,

I live in the Willamette Valley too. I'm west of Salem, near Dallas. I'd be interested in your plant swap meet.

I could let a few fellow gardeners know about it too. The location sounds fine, right in the middle for people coming north or south. Let me know what you decide on for a date.

• rainydaywoman_z8
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Harley, Creek, Green, & Rain2fall,

Sounds like HarleyLady has gotten things started. I'm looking forward to meeting people and sharing plants.

Ms. Harley: is the Hardy Plant Club interesting? I only grow tropicals and plants that look like or mix well with the tropicals, plus a veg garden. For some reason I'm just not very interested in native plants. Guess I like pushing the limits. I do, however, pick mushrooms and am currently trying to find a good supplier, etc., to start plugs outdoors. Now that is one native plant I can spend hours with! (Identifying, I mean.)

• bellaluna
    14 years ago

i'm game for a swap in the spring! i live and garden in corvallis. i haven't been on gardenweb for quite a while (ever since my swap list disappeared), and came tonight to look up posts on deer fencing. glad i continued browsing and found this post. i'd be happy to help with whatever needs to be done to get it going.

• harleylady
    14 years ago

Creekside, we'll be glad to have you join us. You're up near Dancing Oaks? A favorite place of mine. I'll let you know when we have a date.

Most of the plant sales are in May although there is one April 24. So, perhaps the 3rd weekend in April or 1st weekend in May? Does a Saturday work best for everyone?

Rainy, the Hardy Plant Society is a really a good group and there are folks with all sorts of gardens and an interest in a wide variety of hardy plants, it's separate from the native plant group. They host a marvelous study weekend every year with excellent speakers and garden tours, rotating between Seattle, Portland, British Columbia and Eugene. I grow a few tropicals also. Had a bumper crop of mushrooms of all types on my property this fall but I don't know enough about them ID what's safe for eating. Have a few ID books I no longer use that I'd be willing to trade for some of those tropicals.

bellaluna, I think we've chatted before. Glad you dropped in and would welcome your help.

Hope I didn't miss anybody...if I did, sorry... look forward to a great swap and getting to meet you all.

• iraq_is_ugly
    14 years ago

When I get back from Iraq I would love to link up and do a swap. I will be home in May, I live just a little bit south of Eugene.

I have spores rainydaywoman for growing oyster mushrooms (blue I think)

I have a lot of little succulents creeping around my beds that I could share too.

• rainydaywoman_z8
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Iraq: Sorry I didn't read your msg until today (2/24). Hope you get this. Sometimes I forget to check e-mails, too. Bet you will be glad to get back to wet, cool, green Oregon. I would love to have some oyster mushroom spores---in fact, I've been trying to find a source of info about growing mushrooms outdoors; creating the right environment. Succulents sound good, too. I killed most of mine this winter.

When you come home, I will be most happy to gift you with something special from my garden. You deserve it.

• oregonienne
    14 years ago

I'm brand spanking new to garden web but I'd also be very interested in this and could set some cuttings up too . . . but what is everyone looking for? Besides mushrooms, that is. ;)

Thanks!

• harleylady
    14 years ago

Bumping this up. I'm back from the desert and trying to get myself "re-Oregonized" including starting on plans for the proposed Willamette Valley Trade. Hope you all are still interested. Here's a selection of dates that might work. I would appreciate some feedback as far as what dates work best for others. Possible dates:
    April 17th, 18th, or 25th.
    May 16th, 22nd, or 23rd.

Please chime in if you are interested and with the date(s) that work best for you.

Thanks,
    Harleylady

• rainydaywoman_z8
    Original Author
    14 years ago

May 22 or 23 optimal for me, but I'm easy & will go with the majority.

• yaslan
    14 years ago

Hello All - I would be interested in the plant trade. What city will this be held at? Also, is this only a plant trade or will there be plants for sale too? What kind of plants are people bringing? I think it would be exciting to find a few plumeria cuttings or other fragrant plants.
    Harleylady - Thanks! I look forward forward to hearing more. Please let me know how I may be of assistance.
    Happy Gardening!
    -Bo

• harleylady
    14 years ago

Hi Bo. The trade will be in Shedd, half-way between between Salem and Eugene. Although I do sell some plants on occasion, this is a trade only and I'll have plants and some seeds and cuttings for trade. People haven't started posting their "haves" and "wants" yet so I don't know specifically what people will bring. I lost a lot of stuff over the winter and I haven't really had a chance to inventory what I have left but will post my trade list as soon as I can. I'll also have some plants free (no trade needed) for beginners...I got started through the generosity of several GWers nearly 10 years ago and like to pass it on. Anything garden-related is ok, including garden art, books, containers, etc. If you are planning to attend, just post a "want" for the plumeria or fragrant plants and what you have in trade.

So far, the only input on date has been from Rainydaywoman for the 22nd or 23rd of May so unless we get some input from others on a preferred date, I suggest we go with one of those dates.

• yaslan
    14 years ago

Harleylady - Thanks for the update.
    This last month, I too have been generously gifted with many plants from gardenweb members. But I'm still a newbie and a bit overly obsessed with plants. I've been on the hunt for just about anything that's fragrant and can be container-grown. I will post my wants and have. May 22nd or 23rd sounds good to me.
    I think this will be very exciting! I look forward to the plant trade and meeting you. ( :
    -Bo

• bellaluna
    14 years ago

spring has sprung early here in the willamette valley! i think we should get this show on the road! at this point i think that an earlier swap would be better. i put my vote in for the 25th of april. i think that by the end of may "the moment" may have passed. i know i don't want to coddle pots of plants for the swap at the rate that things are growing and with all there is to do in my garden. and i like to get new treasures off to a good start in the warming loamy soil of late spring. about 6 weeks out feels ideal, don't you think?
    please look at my trade page for my early offerings. i'll have lots more to offer at swap as the next few weeks unfold. i just hope i can keep up with it all.

• harleylady
    14 years ago

Sorry to be so long in replying, have been quite ill and just now getting my strength back. Bellaluna, I think you're right that late May is getting too far out there. Unfortunately, I'm committed for the weekend of March 25th but am available the weekend before or the weekend after. We are getting pretty close so should get this date pinned down so we can get out the word, so folks? what say you?