Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chrisrobt

wanted: suggestion for next ge swap

chrisrobt
17 years ago

I found myself wandering among the gathered gardeners wondering who was there I had a trade with. Perhaps we could each make up 3 X 5 cards with names (or nicknmes) of those we have trades with and post them on our vehicles? I'm thinking one card per person so the writing is big. Nametags don't work in the rain.

Any other ideas??

Comments (5)

• bejoy2
    17 years ago

I was going to suggest the same thing, myself. I know I didn't connect with a few people becasue I couldn't find them. I brought you a delphinium to trade for a dahlia tuber, but never saw you.

This may be something that the veterans of the trades will think is trivial, but one problem I always run in to at these things is that it's difficult to tell what people brought versus what they acquired, and what is up for grabs. I see something interesting at someone's station, only to find out they just got it, or it's already promised. Some people are very protective of their new trades, and go on the defensive when you approach them, but sometimes it isn't clear whether the plants are pre-promised, up for grabs, or new acquisitions. Some people trade from their trunks or the backs of their trucks, but I find that confusing, and I usually won't peek inside their vehicle because, to be safe, I assume that if it's in the car, it's either been traded, or is promised. It can be confusing.

So I thought that if everyone sort of followed the same system, things would be a little less confusing. For the green elephant, the way I worked my set-up is, I pulled everything out of the SUV when I got there. I set all the pre-promised things off to the side of my SUV, and put the 'up for grabs' stuff at the back of the parking stall behind the SUV, where passers-by could plainly see them. Then, when I acquired plants, I put them in the SUV. The bonus is that I knew exactly how much room was left in the SUV after each trade. I try to do this when the trade is in people's back yards, too, and make several trips to load the SUV throughout the trade, so I don't acquire more than I have room to transport.

• azehav
    17 years ago

I am interested in organizing a GE in Portland. How does yours typically work, baseline?? Sounds like everyone shows up with plants and stands near their car?

• greenelephant
    17 years ago

Dear Christine,

I have read these posts and I'm working on a waterproof nametag. Also some "how it works" fliers to hand out to people as they arrive.

So there are three categories of plants.
    1. Prearranged trades, and the need to find certain people to complete these trades.
    2. Plants available for trade the day of the swap.
    3. Free or Up-for-grabs plants that do not require anything in exchange.

One thing I noticed at the swap. Many newbies were thrilled to get foxgloves, shasta daisies, irises and the like. And many newbies were eager for advice, and asked "So how does this work?"

It would help everyone if we had a few "ushers" on the lot to help people.

The good news is that these are growing pains for the GW. We want to bring in as many new people as we can while including and honoring those who started the swap.

And it is my hope that those who came in Nov and enjoyed all the free plants, will return in future swaps with an abundance of plant materials to share and exchange.

On another note, I'm working on my garden beds with the intention of making room for sundry dahlias. Looking forward to the dahlias you have for the spring exhange.

The hesperantha is all potted up in 4" pots. I will grow them on for a little while before transplanting them into the church bioswale.

All for now. The sunshine is giving me a case of spring fever!

Jim

• jburesh1388
    17 years ago

Jim,
    Maybe some signs that could be placed near each car that said "FREE", "FOR TRADE". The signs would stand up (like and open house sign) and the cooresponding plants would be next to them.

• earthnut
    17 years ago

I think the 3x5 cards are a great idea. I have made my own signs for free/taken/for trade plants so I don't have to be constantly guarding my plants. I used cardboard with fabric paint or a fat sharpie. They stand up well in the rain. And I will hide new special aquisitions in front of the passengers seats just in case. ;)