Return to the Pacific Northwest Garden Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: Senior with new garden need fruit & veggie plants

Posted by fantastic5 Oregon (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 3, 12 at 15:43

We moved to Madras, Oregon in May 2012. Our backyard has about 1 inch of top soil & under it is the builders trash, cement & rocks. There is not an inch where I can put a fork into the ground. My husband built a raised bed and tis summer we had lots of different kinds of lettuce, bok choy and got 1 small butternut squash and several zuccini. I would like to garden all year long if possible. I started seeds, in september, of Swiss chard, broccoli, kale, spinach and cauliflower but they are not doing very well, they took a long time to germinate and now seem to be stunted. Help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Senior with new garden need fruit & veggie plants

For winter reading, try Gaia's Garden. The writer's garden was in Oregon and he gives lots of excellent ways of yearound gardening. The magic moment for winter sown veggie crops is 10hrs of daylight. Around early October. Plants need to be a certain size by then in order to produce in winter. I bet your chard will come on strong with the increasing spring light! Eliot Coleman is another great resource for yearround gardening.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Eliot Coleman Four Season's Farm

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Alaska and British Columbia are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Pacific Northwest Garden Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here