Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judgemarykali

WANTED: Someone write about the wonderful exchange

judgemarykali
19 years ago

I had to be out of town and missed the exchange this last weekend. Does someone have time to write about what was exchanged. What people were looking for? What worked and what did not in the organization of the day/people/place/plants/etc. Would appreciate it, and would like to plan to attend the March one.

Mary from Clark County, WA.

Comments (3)

• firevicar
    19 years ago

I don't know if you should believe my press report since I hosted the exchange. This is Jim Eichner, aka FireVicar. Last March 30 traders showed up and traded about 100 species of perennials. Some annuals started early from seed too.

The fall exchange had about 25 vehicles, about 30 traders, and over 100 species, cultivars of plants. Fall things like brugmansias, and dahlias, not as many as I'd anticipated. One person brought a lot of species geraniums. Quite a few tropicals, and houseplants; tropical cacti, and orchids. Also shrubs and trees, (fall is a good time to transplant them.) Bamboo, grasses, lots of different perennial flowers, herbs, and seeds of many species.

Hope to see you the first Saturday in March.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Eastside Green Elephant Plant Swap

• grrrnthumb
    19 years ago

Hi Mary,
    I had a blast! Tracie & I brought a whole truckload of plants & left with almost as much. We got a nice mix of good ol' standbyes like dahlias, some rarer treasures (to me anyway) like darmera & black bamboo, some nice herbs, and a couple great tropicals like brugmansia. There wer even a few trees there.
    For some of the newer gardeners without anything to trade I was able to give away several knifophias (red hot pokers), some perennial fall blooming asters, & others. Everyone there was so generous, no one went home empty handed.
    There were also a couple of young people there with their parents who got some plants of their own. I know Shilpa gave me a nice butterfly bush for my daughter Jasmine (a buddleia connoisseur). A good place to infect a young gardener.
    I also brought about 4 or 5 kinds of orchids, 3 kinds of christmas cactus, some orchid cactus, a couple superdwarf bannans, & some other houseplant types. I recieved some wonderful seed trades from Jim's & Linda's huge seed drawers. So there was something there for everyone. :)

• treepalm
    19 years ago

Hello Mary,
    The Green Elephant trade was great. Each trade is different. The Green Elephant trade is a mix of pre-arranged trades, trade what you bring and give-aways. The Seattle trade (spring and fall) is a bring what you have take what you want trade, with pre-arranged trades from your car. The Eastside trade is small, with mostly prearranged trades, but we always bring extras for whoever might show up. We all love newbies and share what we can. There are also trades that are held at someones house with potluck lunches. We all get to know each other better at them. They are all great! Hope to see you at the next trade.
    Teresa