Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nightnurse1968

WANTED: Green Elephant Recipes

Hi Y'all,

I had a wonderful time at the exchange and everyone's generosity was overwhelming. Thanks to all who donated to the cause :-). In the end Randy (my husband) had to tell me NO MORE ROOM! Thank you Jim for hosting the event. I promised the recipe for the Black-eyed Pea Cornbreadto some of you, so here it is. Enjoy!

Black-eyed Pea Cornbread

1 lb Spicy ground bulk pork sausage

1 med onion, diced

1 box Jiffy cornbread mix

2 lg eggs, lightly beaten

1 cup buttermilk (or 1 cup milk with 1 Tbls vinegar added)

1/2 cup vegetable oil

1 (15 oz) can black-eyed peas, drained

2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (any kind of cheese will do,I used half cheddar and half montery jack with jalepeno)

3/4 cup cream-style corn

1/4 cup chopped pickled jalapeno peppers (or to taste, I used about a tablespoon chopped)

1 (4 1/2 oz) can chopped green chilis

1. Cook sausage and onion in large skilled over medium high heat for 5 minutes, stirring until sausage crumbles and is no longer pink. Drain.

2. Stir together eggs, buttermilk and oil. Add to cornbread mix until moistened. Batter will not be smooth. Add sausage, peas and remaining ingredients to batter, stirring well.

3. Pour into a greased 9x13 baking dish.

4. Bake at 350 degree for 1 hour or until golden and set.

This also freezes well. Thaw in refrigerator overnight. Bake, covered at 350 for 30 mins. Uncover and bake 10 more mins or until throroughly heated. To reheat directly from freezer bake covered at 350 degrees for 1 hour then uncover and bake 10 more minutes.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting