Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

Have: Clianthus puniceus--Kaka Beak

mark4321_gw
14 years ago

I picked up a Clianthus puniceus in a 4 inch pot at Annie's Annuals recently and need to find a home for it. I noticed that someone sold one of these 4 inch Annie's plants on EBay a few days ago for $48. While that strikes me as a little much, these really are incredible plants--and not easy to find.

Here's a picture of the seedling:

{{gwi:50981}}

I was able to pick one of the best. It has had a small bit of snail damage since then--a few missing leaflets.

I bought one of these plants last December from Annie's. This spring it bloomed:

{{gwi:50982}}

If you want to combine this plant with any or all of a few things I have in excess that would also be good. These include:

Passiflora exoniensis x parritae unrooted cuttings or if you are patient a rooted cutting (or both). They are easy to root.

Passiflora membranacea unrooted or possibly a rooted cutting (I may know in a day or two). I have a limited supply of cuttings now, but will have much more in a month or two. I will have more material soon than I know what to do with, and I would do what it takes to make sure you get a plant.

Aristolochia gigantea rooted and/or unrooted cuttings. My plant had 8-9 inch flowers last summer:

{{gwi:50983}}

Echium wildpretii in 4 inch pots (I would ask for help to pay for shipping these guys)

{{gwi:50984}}

Clianthus puniceus 'Albus'--I'm waiting for seed pods to ripen. Pictures and description from the source:

http://www.anniesannuals.com/plants/plant_display.asp?prodid=266

And I do have other things, of course.

I'm looking for a few specific things: Fuchsia boliviana 'Alba', Monstera deliciosa albo variegata, Lardizabala biternata (Zabala fruit), Bomarea (several species), Strophanthus preussii... I'm open to suggestions, but I'm really looking for something special at this point.

Comments (5)

• kayjones
    14 years ago

I have a Strophanthus gratus I could take cuttings from. Email me if you are interested. Thanks!

• karyn1
    14 years ago

I didn't know you were looking for a Strophanthus preussii. Mine survived the GH freeze and is putting out lots of new growth. I tried rooting a couple cuttings along with the others I'd mentioned but don't believe they took. I can take another cutting if you have any tips for rooting it. Here's one of the blooms from last season. It's a great plant that's pretty much in constant bloom. I also have the F. boliviana Alba that I'm waiting on it to put on a bit of size before taking cuttings. If you haven't found one before mine's big enough let me know.

{{gwi:50985}}

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kayjones--thanks, but I'm looking for one of the Strophanthus species with the long tails--and it looks like Karyn will get me one. I am rooting you a P. exoniensis x parritae cuttings if I remember correctly--I lost a whole set of cuttings to rot but have a big group that should start rooting in the next couple days--I'll email you soon with an update.

Karyn--thanks! I haven't been actively looking for an S. preussii, but I had one briefly years ago in L.A. It bloomed but I think it quickly died--I don't remember why. I'll do some reading and see if there are any suggestions for how to root them. I do remember that you got the F. boliviana 'Alba'--I'll let you know if I find one. I was slightly frustrated because I found one at Annie's earlier in the year, decided to postpone it and was told they'd have more in May. They didn't have them when I was there, but week or so ago they put them on their "Mail Order Only" list and they went immediately. They just sent me an email that they now have P. membranacea (not that I need it--I hadn't removed it from my wishlist). It's also "Mail order only", for $25. I bet they're out already.

• ragdollpetite
    10 years ago

I am trying to locate a passionflora membranacea. If any one has this available please let me know

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have P. membranacea--a fairly new one, purchased at Strybing (SF Botanical Garden), last September for $15 in a 1 gallon pot. It's growing fast and I will be propagating it. Hopefully I will have a bunch rooted later in the year.

Be aware that this is a cool grower, from the mountains of Mexico. If your summer highs are above 85 or your lows above 65, it will probably be impossible. I am not aware of it doing OK outside of California, reasonably close to the coast (or the Bay). And a lot of people have tried.

It also needs to get big to bloom, so even an air-conditioned greenhouse might be impractical. I have not heard of this clone (the one usually available in this country) blooming in a pot. If anyone knows of one, I'm curious...

Annie's Annuals and Grassy Knoll Exotics have sold the plant in the past. I don't know if Annie's plans to sell it in the future; I believe Grassy Knoll does intend to.

Photo is of the plant when I bought it at Strybing. The new growth (on the left) is always "nodding"--it's not wilted.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES