Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amsoniared

WANTED: Want string algae-seriously!!

amsoniared
16 years ago

Had a "pea soup" pond for years, I tried absolutely everything! The only thing that ever worked was string algae that I seeded into the pond. I partially cleaned the pond a month ago, and my string algae is gone! ( For those of you who try to kill it, I can't pinpoint what I did exactly). My watergarden is now murky, and I haven't seen my fish all spring. I would be happy to trade a perennial for it.

I am also looking for anacharis and a tropical lily. For the lily I'm more concerned about the leaves. I make the cement leaf sculptures, and have done hardy lily leaves, but I would like one that has more scalloped or ruffly leaf edges.

Comments (4)

• xjaxx
    16 years ago

I can send you plenty of String Algae, Anacharis, and a couple of Tropical Lily Leaves. How much Algae and Anacharis?
    I`ll send an e-mail and picture of Trop Lily leaves.
    What are you offering in trade? Xjaxx Jack jatoni@sc.rr.com

• newbirdman
    16 years ago

At this time of year just about everyone's pond is like pea soup until the temperatures level off . Plus all the spring rain keeps adding to the greenness . Mine usually clears up soon and stays clear all summer without a UV and I'm in about 80% full sun .

• amsoniared
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jack, just a couple bunches of both. I appreciate the offer of the leaves, but I have to have an actual plant- I need fresh leaves with no bends or tears in them.
    I have many perennials, what are you interested in? I have ranunculus "Buttered Popcorn" which works as a bog plant, many grasses, sundrops, daylilies, Lysimachia 'Firecracker', various sedums.

Newbirdman, I have had watergardens for over 10 years, mine always cleared up, too- at the end of September! Like I said, I've tried everything, can't get much simpler than string algae- I'll stick with that.

• missa
    16 years ago

amsonaired:
    Greetings! I hate all forms of algae. But years ago i was disgussing with another fellow "Ponder" who is alos a huge wildlife and nature nit like myself, who we both had problems with "pea Soup" Until we seemed to discover something that occours natually. Maybe others out there have found this to be true also bur where my and his water garden is placed is under a huge oak. we would start off with ahint of algae blooms, mostly string algae and maybe that pea soup type too, but then as soon as the trees flowered and started dropping their flowers or what ever it is that the oaks drop that is a light fluffy tannish- yellow colored product that is about 2" long and lacy looking ( kinda) and this falls into our ponds the bad pea soup algae just dissapears! Ive tried collecting masses of it and letting it sit in my opond like barley bailes but it doent work. it likes to sit loosely at the ponds botton. Maybe its just a fluke but i swear this stuff works. I never add chemicals to my pond and dont do anything special. years ago i use to add that bio stuff that would eat the extra nutrients out of the water but found this to be a waste of money and time. Im tellin ya guys, you must try this and tell me what you think! leats see if we can prove or disprove this theory of mine and my buddies. maybe its just one of thiose things that just happens....but i seriously dont think so! I have great water and it doesnt harm my fish! I never bothered to siphon out the debris from the oak " Flowers" as it never harmed anything, but im sure you can after your problem stops.I dunno about you but barley Bailes dont work for me! Melissa

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH