Return to the Aquatic Plant Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: You might want to know what is illegal before you trade

Posted by ltcollins1949 9a Rockport, TX (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 27, 09 at 10:34

I'm not a regular on this forum, but a friend suggested that I check it out. I am a citizen scientist for the Texas Invasives. You might be interested in reading my post as follows. I know that many of you are aware of which plants are illegal, and I hope not to offend anyone, but rather to help.

I don't mean to be a downer and burst anyone's love of aquatic plants, but you may not be aware that many aquatic plants are illegal in many states with laws varying from state to state, i.e. what is illegal in one state does not mean it is illegal in another state. I do know that there are many Illegal and Invasive Plants in Texas including Water Lettuce Pistis stratiotes and Water Hyacinth Eichhornia crassipes. In fact possession of these plants is illegal and can be punishable with fines and/or imprisonment. Read below:

The State of Texas doesn't just frown on the possession of harmful or potentially harmful exotic plants. It is illegal to posses these plants in Texas. Possession of any prohibited plant species is a Class B Parks and Wildlife Code Misdemeanor punishable by

-a fine of not less than $200 nor more than $2000,
-a jail term not to exceed 180 days, or
-both a fine AND imprisonment.

Each individual plant of a prohibited species constitutes a separate violation. The law applies to everyone: aquatic plant producers and distributors, garden centers, pond supply stores, pet stores, and individual pondkeepers. So if Joe Ponder is caught with 10 water hyacinth in his backyard pond, that would be 10 separate violations, with potential fines totaling $20,000.

After checking the Invasive Plants of the Eastern United States compiled by the University of Georgia, there are many illegal plants. The reason they are illegal is because they are so prolific that they are getting into streams, rivers and waterways and chocking out our native plants which is directly related to our natural habitat.

So you might want to check with you local Wildlife Office and make sure that you are in compliance with the laws of your state and when shipping plants across state lines.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: You might want to know what is illegal before you tr

So glad you posted this. I try to ask every trader to check and see if the plant they want is allowed in there state. Most say yes but I wonder? Check it out first then buy or trade, for everyone and every things sake. THANKS, ltcollins1949

o

You are welcome. And I see that I didn't spell "choking" correctly. Sorry about that. I do wish more people would become aware of just how invasive some of these plants can be.

o

Some of us do not care 8-]
We are also not stupid enough to dump water plants in the lake or river

o

Thanks for trying to educate us about this. I know first hand what can happen. I have been growing water plants for several years. But I also have a lake on my property. It has been invaded with 4 leafed clover that was brought in (we assume) on the feet of the Canadian Geese or Prairie Geese that are EVERYWHERE these days. It has completely covered all banks of our lake. No one seems to know how to rid us of it. The Extension Service is at a loss. We want to maintain our large mouth bass, but we may have to sacrifice them to stop the spread. You don't have to go dump it in a river. The geese and Fishermen( who go from state to state for tournaments and bring plants on their boats and motors)and other water birds can bring it right to your DOOR !!!! Thanks again.

o

There are was of killing the plants and not the fish. We have found that the pond guys have alot of help for us pond owners who need to rig our waters of unwanted vegitation. check them out at thepondguy.com! they help us clean up our irrigation pond.

o

You don't have to dump invasive plants in to native waterways for them to get there from your backyard ponds. Some can be transferred by birds and by wind.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Aquatic Plant Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here