Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ollierose

Fun idea for a swap!?!?!

ollierose
16 years ago

I'm new to GW, but I've encountered some really great people here and was thinking that I would start something a little fun for everyone.

Each person interested should post a reply listing the ONE type of seed that they are DYING to have! Be specific!

Then review the list others have provided. If you have the one thing a person is DYING to have, contact them for their address and send it along!

You can try to work out a trade, but it could also be something fun and generous that people can do for each other. Afterall, what's the big deal with a couple of stamps and some bubble wrap!?!?

This is a great way to:

- say thank you for a previous trade

- let someone know how much you enjoy trading with them

- bring a smile to a someone's face

- surprise a newbie

- get rid of seeds you don't want or need

- pass the time while things are brewing under the earth before they show their glorious faces to us!

You might have to wait a while before the right person makes your day, but unexpected surprises are always a good thing, right? I realize that some people may not ever get their request, but it's certainly worth a try!

Be sure to contact any members for an offer or trade via email of through their GW page. It will be easier to read if we only have our requests listed here.

Hope you all like the idea!

Diana

(ollierose)

Comments (73)

• ollierose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks to all the wonderful people at GW, I have been able to meet some great new people, offer some seeds and plants to people that are looking for them and even get close to 10 things that I've been hoping to find!

Thank you all! I'll keep checking back to see if I can continue to help others!

Diana
    (ollierose)

• medontdo
    16 years ago

i thought 1 seed, LOL i'm so blind, LOL kids and all. talla is always saying lets play the game mommy. LOL at least she wants to learn. its an addition and subtraction game. but it was one trade. geezz i'm soooo crazy, hey i do have chocolate mint, and it has chaff, for free!! LOL :')) i know i'm nuts today!!! LOL i need to winter sow some more!! LOL sending ya mail, i guess thats the way it works :'))

• medontdo
    16 years ago

yes!!! drool!!! i'm such a sucker for scented anything thats good scented!! LOL that's why i love my honeysuckle so much!! i had to move some of it up by the house so i could smell it in the spring. and some of the trumpetervine, only cuz of the foilage though. i don't care for it otherwise!! LOL no smell. i can't wait for this spring to get all these seeds planted. i have some chinese love vine that i actually grew. it has never grew for me. but this time i put it on the stove, i have to keep the water on. or i'll shock everything!! then our tv will go out, the pc will go. LOL i shock the walls and the plants. geez!! to much of the wrong kinda energy!! LOL

• mngardener1
    16 years ago

I am looking for anything "wonderfully smelly" that will survive in zone 4. I have lots of "Ruby Giant" coneflower, as well as a few other types of coneflower, and a couple varieties of blanketflower for people who are interested and want a trade - I have not been on my list, or on GW in a while because of a sick husband, so it is not updated but you can check it out and email me to see if I have it left - thanks for the trade idea! It is supposed to be -50 below windchill tonight, so thinking about gardening warms my heart...at least one part of my body will be warm! :o)

• rosepedal
    16 years ago

You guys are too cool......

Okay only one thing...... Anything vareiagated and will grow in zone 4..... smile that breaks it down to one..... HeHe.. Barb

• medontdo
    16 years ago

ahhh i'm sorry about your husband mng!!
    hey barb!!! no varigates here. or zone 4 stuff. wish i did!! :')) i so love this one!! only one thing!! LOL i so love that!! LOL

• ollierose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Seems to have slowed down in here.....anybody else getting some good things!?!?!

• medontdo
    16 years ago

not yet. how about ya?? LOLdidn't hear back from flwrs4evr? hope she's not sick!! especially with all the sickness going around!! :'((

• agirlsgirl
    16 years ago

I keep checking to see if I can make someones day!:)
    Come on people, we know there has got to be something you have been wishing for! :D

• nana25
    16 years ago

I would love lemon verbena. I had a plant a few years back and lost it. It smells wonderful. Have lots of seeds all kinds of gourd and pumkin and mints. Just ask i might have it. Have a blessed day. (nana25kids@yahoo.com)

• ollierose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I've gotten a few things from my trade list!

• neerukat
    16 years ago

It is a great idea!
    My wish list comprises of just a few seeds of Bay leaf plant and Murraya koenigii/curry plant. I have been looking for these for a long time and have been unable to find them.

• prairiewinds
    16 years ago

I think my main wish would be red yarrow. Mngardner1 I have something smelly for you. Email me when you get time with your address

• littlesparrowz8
    16 years ago

my current number one want is asarina climbing snapdragon. I have enjoyed the generosity of garden web members this past year and have seeds to share. I just don't have any that I have seen listed. yet.

• Melinda Hagen
    16 years ago

Guess I will join in also! Wanting annuals for hanging baskets, etc. Shorter trailing ones. Things like diascia, torenias, trailing lobelias, angelonias, etc. Or what do you think? Anyway, I have many more seeds not listed on my trade page, so could probably find something you want. Will go through some this pm and check what you are all looking for! Trying to plant things for my sister this year. Thanks, Melinda

• blueangel
    16 years ago

Morning glories
    morning glories
    morning glories
    would love to have these
    any and all kinds
    check my list
    or ask I may have it.

Blueangel

• stacy2564
    16 years ago

Hi looking for Clematis seeds and tree seeds. red bud, jap. maple, crabapple.....
    I have some nice frangrant plant seeds. Mostly flowering tobacco (which I just loved last year. easy to start and smells wonderful)
    stacy

• graanieb
    16 years ago

Hi Stacy, I have Clematis Sweet Autumn and a couple of others, Morning Glory mix...for your Morning Glory Deep Blue and Mix.

Blueangel, hi, if you have something on my want list, I can trade you Morning Glories, mostly Japanese.

plmk,
    Bea

• browneyedsusan_gw
    16 years ago

Stacy,
    I have red bud and jap maple seeds that I would be happy to send you for an sasbe. If you still want them, please email me.
    Susan.

• barleychown
    16 years ago

Great idea for a thread.

I have conacted those on this list who's wish I can help with, and would now like to add my own.

I have been looking for white maltese cross for years. Does anyone have some they would be willing to share?

• vanila6789
    16 years ago

I would love to have a few seeds of Japonica Striped Maize and Job's Tears. What a neat thread!

• jaleeisa
    16 years ago

Wow!What a great thread! I would be interested in any kind of veggie or herbs or any kind of flower that attracts hummingbirds. I also have a fondness for honeysuckle, snapdragons and shell flowers and night blooming flowers. OH! And chocolate mint and vine! Love the smell of them in the heat of summer! I'm hoping to perhaps have a few things to trade in return in the next few months and would be very grateful for anything received!

• spiderpig
    16 years ago

I am looking everywhere for Ornamental Rhubarb (rheum palmatum var. tanguticum) Thanks everyone. Sending seeds is as much fun as getting them!

• medontdo
    16 years ago

i have veges AND chocolate mint and peppermint. email with your wants and if i happen to have them i'll certainly send them along :'))

• kms4me
    16 years ago

Barleychown, I have white maltese cross. Email me if interested.

Kate

• ollierose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow - I'm so happy about this thread! I keep trying to find someone that wants something I have, but no luck yet.

Keep posting folks! I'm determined to offer something that will make someone's day!

Diana

• lindaruzicka
    16 years ago

My seed would be Russian Sage. I think it would awesome outside my side porch.

• jaleeisa
    16 years ago

Let's see.. I'm still looking for some things.. I'm determined to have one of those stop and stare yards! Here goes...

Bells of Ireland! I saw these and I went "ooooooh!"
    Daffodils
    Iris
    Bird of Paradise
    Amaryllis
    Money Plant
    Azalea
    Tulips

Anything that will grow in a really shaded area
    Anything that will attract hummingbirds
    Houseplants- Wandering Jew, Pathos Ivy

Kathy

• ollierose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kathy - Sent you an email. I have some things you are looking for.

Diana

• lindaruzicka
    16 years ago

jaleeisa,
    I have moonflower seeds which bloom at night, If you're interested, email me!

• mickey26
    16 years ago

for me I would love to get
    magnolia after last years weather mine died. and
    daylily seeds any colors.

• kasha77
    16 years ago

Hi Everyone! Newbie here- my son just called me a "Seed Junkie!" I've never had such an opportunity to find such interesting seeds for the price of a trade or a few stamps! And I have met so many wonderful folks! All day at work, I think, I can't wait to get home to see what's new on Garden Web!
    My secret desire would be CARDOON!
    Also-
    Bears' breeches
    gunnera manicata -Volkswagon plant
    bleeding hearts- red or white
    red spider lily
    My list is new, but maybe I can meet someone elses' wish!
    Happy Gardening,
    Kathy

• lindaruzicka
    16 years ago

Kathy says:
    Newbie here- my son just called me a "Seed Junkie!"

I had to laugh, my family thinks the same thing about me. We'll be having to start a support group..."SA" Seeds Anonmous!

• katmatney
    16 years ago

Hello Everybody
    I am fairly new to the gardening game, but would like to play. My item to die for is echinacea green envy. The plants are so expensive though. I will look for someone to donate seeds too. Thanks for the great idea and cannot wait to hear from someone.
    Kathy

• medontdo
    16 years ago

hmmmm....that's what i told my rr last swap hi my name is medo i am a seed adict!! i have been for a year or so!! i think about them i love them and i dream about them, i think where i am gonna plant them when they become plants. then i think about what other kind of beautiful flower that smells so beautiflul that i want!! everytime i go somewhere i think hmmmm.....when is that beautiful flower gonna have seeds??? my hubby say's "don't even think about it!!" we're on public property and they can throw you in jail" dang cop!!! errrrr! so i SNEAK it in my pocket!! HA i'm a rebellious wife!! :')) that's my story (ps i even like to save the ones from the mall and everywhere!! just not the stores) LOL

• plant-one-on-me
    16 years ago

Barb, I will have a couple different varigated plants probably in late April or early may. These are plants, not seeds.

Kathy, I was sent some Dutch iris, eye of tiger from Sue/chemocurl that I could share. I also saw on your wanted plants list for raspberries, again some time in late April I will have thornless raspberry plants.

I'm not even sure of my wants at this point since my yard is completely bare at present. I am putting together seeds to start veggie gardens for 3 families plus myself. The only thing I have not been able to get so far is mini pumpkins...I would love to have some for my granddaughter to plant. Kim

• grovespirit
    16 years ago

The seeds I currently want the most are, listed in order of desirability:

#Fairytale or Purple Rain (both speckled) eggplants

#Mexican Sour Gherkin (dwarf teensy cuke from landreth seeds)

#Sweet Quartz VFNT, or Japanese dwarf: 2 special types of dwarf tomatoes which are reputed to resist my local pests and diseases.

• grovespirit
    16 years ago

I have some small plumeria cuttings for GraanieB, and interestingly she's got Scarlet Runner beans which I would LOVE to grow!! I emailed her. No reply just yet. Hope she is OK.

• mulefancier
    16 years ago

Want much! - Giant pumpkin seeds from a /giant/ pumpkin. We want to do a science project to determine how environment affects genetics.

Tomato - Golden Jubilee. I had some, and I stored them somewhere 'safe'. Uh-huh.

I'm new. Please check out my lists. :) Thank you.

• kids2spoyl
    16 years ago

OH...I have been searching for :

Ipomoea beraviensis, Stictocardia beraviensis
    Family: Convolvulaceae
    Hawaiian Bell, Hawaiian Sunset Vine, Braveheart Vine

Would also really love a true blue hibiscus/rose of sharon

Also want to collect various Amorphophallus and Arisaema plants.

Well, that's more than one...sorry...LOL.

Gina

• monkey665
    16 years ago

You guys are great. I can sit here for hours and read all the postings. I can't limit to 1 but 3.
    Lenton Rose
    Jack in the pulpit
    lady slipper

Nice idea

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

Wanted to bump this back up.

Kim, I just noticed you mentioned you'd have thornless raspberries.. and the Iris. Was that meant for me? LOL, we've gotten several Kathy's in the forum lately :) I would be more than happy to have them!

Oh, and let me know what veggies you're still looking for. I still have several seeds and have added to those lately.

Kathy

• medontdo
    15 years ago

mmmmm i'd have to go with anything hawiian at this point!! LOL anything that attracts hummers!! they are soooo awesome!! :')) Medo

• ladygreensleeves
    15 years ago

Hi I'm a newbie and would like to join in if I may.
    kristlindgren, would that be Alamanda by any chance. I have seeds from the purple Alamanda and will soon have seed for the dwarf yellow Alamanda.
    graanieb,if you can give me instructions for taking clippings on plumerias I have excess to some as well as seeds.Medo,you may be interested in the plumerias as well.
    I would like some Magnolia seeds if anyone has any.
    Please feel free to check my list of trade and email me if interested. Will also send SABE and postage,or extra bagettes,an extra bubble envelope or postage if I dont have what you want to trade.
    Thanks and I hope to hear from some of you soon.
    Regina(ladygreensleeves)nick giving by husband

• digdiva
    15 years ago

Thai Lime seeds, anybody have these? The double leaves are so fragrant and used in cooking Thai food. I have Tibetan tree peony seeds that will root at the end of summer for trade.

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

Regina (ladygreensleeves) sending you an email :)

Kathy

• medontdo
    15 years ago

sent ya a email to Regina :'))
    wish i did have your thai lime seeds, then i'd happily enable ya!! LOL :'))

• sassy_fras
    15 years ago

Darn, wouldn't ya know I'd find this site a year after this thread was started???? I think this is a fabulous idea if anyone is still reading this. The problem with me is that I'm new to Southern Florida and know little or nothing about what I knew so much about up North, so I have nothing to offer YET! I'd love to get involved, please respond?

• jolmos
    15 years ago

I'm still somewhat of a newb, but I would like to join in...My #1, give most anything for: PLUMERIA...any kind not picky...oh the heavenly sent. I drool ala Homer Simpson when I see them. Also on the look out for blue bread poppies.

I have a few chocolate flower seeds left (Berlandiera lyrata)...they smell just like chocolate syrup. mmm...who was looking for them? If you'd like e-mail me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chocolate flower

• tonya_2008
    15 years ago

Hi! I would like to get involved as well!
    I'd really like some Purslane Hot Toucan Mix, must be a hot seller becuase I can't find it anywhere.
    Thanks!
    Tonya
    tonya_2008

Sponsored