Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helwhhle

sasbe/sase

Wendy
15 years ago

Hi,

I am kind new here.

Is anyone explain the meaning of those two term?

SASBE/SASE

THANKS

Wendy

Comments (17)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi helwhhle,

Welcome to The Seed Exchange.

SASE means self addressed stamped envelope

SASBE means a Self Addressed Stamped Bubble Envelope

Both terms are very confusing and really not correct as there is no envelope that is to be addressed to oneself.

It is actually a BEAP...Bubble Envelope and Postage.

Please see sase-sasbe is NOT a self addressed envelope-bubble or otherwise

It explains things a bit more.

Sue

• Wendy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks, Sue

Wendy

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

Self addressed means that the original sender pre-addresses the envelope, not that it's addressed to one's self. It's an extremely widely used abbreviation. BEAP, on the otherhand, is, from what I can tell, a contrivance only a few people on this forum use.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

Actually, I take that back; it is pre-addressed to one's self! Otherwise, you'd never get the envelope back. Even if you choose to include an address label inside the original envelope to replace the address on the outside of the envelope you send, it's still a SASBE.

• Wendy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info, Brondon

Wendy

• littleonefb
    15 years ago

Hi Wendy,

Here is the info that you need and the correct way to do things.

SASBE does indeed mean self addressed stamped envelope

SASE does mean self addressed stamped envelope

BEAP does mean bubble envelope and postage.

Here's where things start to get confusing.

SASBE and SASE have been used on GW for a long, long time now but they are not really the correct terms to use.

In the SASBE, if it is done as Brandon states, the sender would be sending a bubble envelope to the member that has the seed offer, with the sender's address on it.
    If that is mailed as is, then the envelope would not be received by the member offering the seeds, it would go back to the sender.

So to participate in the SASBE offer, according to what Brandon describes, the sender would have to address a bubble envelope to him/herself and then put it inside another envelope to send to the member offering the seeds.

In fact, the member offering the SASBE is actually asking those that are interested in the seed offer to send a Bubble Envelope, And Postage to pay for the envelope to be returned with the seeds requested.

Hence the correct use of the term BEAP.

If one responds to an offer that says SASBE or BEAP, the member will be asked to do the following

1. send a specific size bubble envelope
    2. send a return address label with their name address on it
    3. a specific amount of postage that will cover the postage cost to send the seeds.
    4. and most, including myself, ask for a list of the seeds to be sent with the GW name and real name on the paper.

The member offering the seeds for SASBE IS NOT REALLY ASKING FOR AN SASBE BUT RATHER A BEAP.

SASE is self addressed stamped envelope and again the same would apply to this as with an SASBE.
    You do not send a self addressed envelope to the member offering the seeds. If you did it would be returned to you.
    You have to either put a second envelope inside the first envelope that is addressed to you or address the envelope to the member offering the seeds and insert the mailing address to you inside,along with postage for the return trip to you.

SASE is a very poor way to mail seeds and a very risky way of doing so as well. Seeds usually get crushed when mailed in just plain envelopes no matter how well they are wrapped first and you end up with crushed dust for seeds, nothing that can be used for sowing seeds.

I would suggest that NO ONE use SASE to send seeds.

Now, if you want to do things the way Brandon has described and send you SASBE all ready addressed to you inside another envelope addressed to the member offering the seeds, by all means, go ahead and do so.

To me it is a waste of time, energy, effort and natural resources.

It is much easier to do the following, which is what I tell every member that responds too one of my BEAP offers.

:Please send me a (I fill in the size bubble envelope that is need to send the number of seed packets), a return address label with your name and address on it, a list of the seeds that I am sending you with your GW name and real name on it, and (I fill in the number of postage stamps needed to send the seeds) $.42 postage stamps.

Then I add the following info.

JUST ADDRESS THE BUBBLE ENVELOPE TO ME, PUT EVERYTHING INSIDE THAT I ASKED FOR, TAPE IT CLOSED AND MAIL IT TO ME. NO NEED TO PUT THE BUBBLE ENVELOPE INSIDE ANOTHER ENVELOPE TO MAIL IT TO ME.

BEAP, on the otherhand, is, from what I can tell, a contrivance only a few people on this forum use.

Call it as you wish, contrivance is as good as any.

The fact is BEAP is far more accurate in what is being done, what is being asked for and is far more correct.

GW can be the first to start using the term BEAP, being that the last time I looked, GW was the largest gardening community site on the web, it is fitting that GW be the first to start using a more accurate term to describe what is actually being sent with free seed offers.

I've been around the block here on the seed exchange and GW forums for more than years now, and anything that can be done to clear up and make things far more accurate with seed trading has my vote.

Over the years I have gotten my fair share of bubble envelopes stuffed inside another bubble envelope or some other mailer because the term said SASBE and was understood to mean self addressed stamped bubble envelope. Therefore the new member thought it needed to be sent inside another envelope.

I, myself, thought that with my first SASBE offer that I responded to, way back when.

The member, who became my very close seed trading pal for several years until she passed away, was so kind in answering my first question to her about the offer.

"what was the best way to send the bubble envelope inside another one to get her seeds."

MargC was so kind, and didn't even laugh at me with her response. (I must admit though, over the years, we did share many a laugh after the fact, over that question).
    She explained how to send the envelope and my first question afterwards was "why in the world is it called an SASBE?" of which she replied with "that's what it is stated we call it on the seed exchange site. Shouldn't be called that, but, that is what is used."

That goes back to 2003 with my first SASBE that I responded to and the first person to trade with me. Already then stating that the term SASBE was wrong to use.

The more often BEAP is used, the more others will continue to use it.

And those that continue to use SASBE need to explain how to do it correctly.

Wendy, if you have any questions about what I said, please just e-mail me through GW.

My head may still be a little fuzzy tonight from a medical procedure done this morning that required some sedation, so I may not have stated things as clearly as I normally would.

Fran

• stage_rat
    15 years ago

Wouldn't it be a BEAPAAL, if the seed offer-er asks people to include an AL, Address Label?

• Wendy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Fran, thanks
    The info is very clear and I am so glad to be here to learn even I may laughed by ... and it doesn't matter.
    Take care

Wendy

• littleonefb
    15 years ago

Wendy,

Glad to help and the info was clear.

My grandpa used to say "the only question that is dumb is the one not asked." Don't be afraid to ask questions.
    One of us veterans will be glad to respond and give you the "correct" answer to your or anyone else's questions.

Stagerat,
    not sure if you are trying to be funny or not with your question.

Not all members ask for the return address label, though I do. So, to answer your question, NO, IT SHOULD NOT BE BEAPPAAL. NOT ALL MEMBERS ASK FOR A RETURN ADDRESS LABEL. WHAT YOU ARE ASKING IS NOT CORRECT IN ALL CASES. BUT SASBE IS INCORRECT ALL THE TIME.

BEAP is the correct term to use, is far more accurate to use and attempting to confuse Newbies by adding to the term BEAP, as you asked only makes things more confusing.

Fran

• littleonefb
    15 years ago

Wendy,

Glad to help and the info was clear.

My grandpa used to say "the only question that is dumb is the one not asked." Don't be afraid to ask questions.
    One of us veterans will be glad to respond and give you the "correct" answer to your or anyone else's questions.

Stagerat,
    not sure if you are trying to be funny or not with your question.

Not all members ask for the return address label, though I do. So, to answer your question, NO, IT SHOULD NOT BE BEAPPAAL. NOT ALL MEMBERS ASK FOR A RETURN ADDRESS LABEL. WHAT YOU ARE ASKING IS NOT CORRECT IN ALL CASES. BUT SASBE IS INCORRECT ALL THE TIME.

BEAP is the correct term to use, is far more accurate to use and attempting to confuse Newbies by adding to the term BEAP, as you asked only makes things more confusing.

Fran

• jim_6b
    15 years ago

Fran, you could not have said it any better. I have nothing to add except that if those of us who offer free seed and send out hundreds or even thousands of packs want to call it a BEAP then we have the right to call it a BEAP.
    Something else, you know the non-senders we all complain about. I wonder if they actually mailed a SASBE and received it back, with no seed, wondering what happened.
    jim_6b

15 years ago

Something else, you know the non-senders we all complain about. I wonder if they actually mailed a SASBE and received it back, with no seed, wondering what happened.

LMAO! Good one Jim!

• littleonefb
    15 years ago

Thanks Jim.

But, now that I have stopped LMAO on that possibility and have thought about it. I don't think that is the case. At least not with me.

I give very specific instructions including how to mail the bubble envelope. Can't get any more specific than what I give.

And still I don't get a lot of them sent to me.

I've sent out more than 200 Mailers and well over 1500 packets of seeds, yet I still have a total of about 85 no show BEAPS.

Such is life and I still offer the seeds and know I will get the No shows.

We just need to push the BEAP term and keep doing it.

Fran

• eileen_shorty2002
    15 years ago

Years ago the GW started labeling the SASE as an sasBe. the only change is the "B" for "bubble wrap" & the cost for protecting the seeds. SASE's are like the business reply envelopes that are included within your bills/junk mail. the business world has used this acronym for years. i don't think they will change anytime soon. here in the GW new ones are being created which cause people to ask "what's a ......................." any questions or concerns please just ask the trader.

• eileen_shorty2002
    15 years ago

a BEAPAAL YES !!! but what if- besides the address label, i wanted to include the "seed trade list" it would be a BEAPAALASTL i will ask for a bubble wrap envelope, postage, an address label and seed trade list. we can go on & on. to each their own, as for me i will post AND receive only sasBe's, take it or leave it

15 years ago

here in the GW new ones are being created which cause people to ask "what's a ......................."
    Eileen, I don't know why it bothers you so much for seeds for postage offers to be called something other than an sasbe. As you can see by the question posed in the original post, it was "I am kind new here.
    Is anyone explain the meaning of those two term?
    SASBE/SASE " Please also see what Jim_b said, "I have nothing to add except that if those of us who offer free seed and send out hundreds or even thousands of packs want to call it a BEAP then we have the right to call it a BEAP."

any questions or concerns please just ask the trader.
    As the OP said, they are new, and probably lurking yet, and here on the Conversation side is the best place to ask any questions about trading, or just chatting. By posting the question here, it helps to maybe clear up the confusion by explaining it publicly, that others new to the forum are informed also.

• eileen_shorty2002
    15 years ago

should have been under the sasbe/sase posting but since it would not let me post again i chose something else. oops, posting under another subject due to rejection ooooooooohhhhh. how about i post this one under - my bad. take a chill pill i will post as i please just remember no more caffeine tonight. we all have different opinions and mine as many others are stated also. go post office ~

Sponsored