Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northspruce

Throw me a bone...

northspruce
18 years ago

Could someone please tell me how to do italics, underline, bold etc. when posting on the forum. Why does everyone else know and not me? I'm so in the dark...

Comments (24)

• SeaOtterCove
    18 years ago

Don't feel bad, I don't know how to do the special characters either. What program are you using? I'm running Safari off of a Mac.

• luv2gro
    18 years ago

I'll answer this one because Sharon was the one that helped me out so much last year when I was having trouble.

I will try to explain it simply. When you want to do anything different with your fonts, you will want to use the following:

Place a (with no spaces in between) at the beginning of the word or phrase and then put a at the end (again, with no spaces in between. Do the same thing with a and a to do Bold. And the same thing with a and for underlining. Also, you won't see it until you hit the preview section of your message. I put the spaces in between to show you the symbols only. If I didn't show them to you this way they would disappear when I post my message. Try it on the test forum first and see if it works.

I also have a Mac on Safari but I'm pretty sure that's also the way to do it on PC. Can anyone else explain it better?

Shauna

Here is a link that might be useful: Test forum

• northspruce
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yay!
    Whoop!
    Thanks Shauna

I have a PC on Windows (how unfashionable) two actually one at home and one at work.

• luv2gro
    18 years ago

Good job! Isn't it fun, now that you know how? It was most frustrating not knowing and then once I knew, it seemed so . . . . well, basic.

Amazing how fast you become at it in a very short period of time, also.
    Glad I could help.

Shauna

• sierra_z2b
    18 years ago

Ok so now how do you get color? I have seen color print on here too.

Sierra

• SeaOtterCove
    18 years ago

Thanks for the information Shauna. Do you know how to make the print a larger size too? I think I've seen Sharon do that.

• luv2gro
    18 years ago

OK, you guys. I'm not a total computer wizard. ROTFL.

I don't know how you get color fonts or how you change the size. I can only do that if I'm using a program with those capabilities and even then, sometimes, I'm lost. Shaarrrronnnnnn?????

Shauna

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    18 years ago

Okay, let's see if i can do green. Yep, i must have remembered that correctly! LOL Okay, what you do is use the symbols, and between them, type font color = whatever. Remember, you have to use the American spelling for colour. Now i'm not sure if using /font color would change it back to black, but i put the whole thing in.

I learned some things from this site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Html explained - for KIDS! LOL

• Crazy_Gardener
    18 years ago

Here you go, this link may help!

Here is a link that might be useful: Font Tag Tutorial

• luv2gro
    18 years ago

Ohhhh, ohhhhh. . . . this could prove to be very dangerous. I need to spend some time on that page and practice. Thanks.

Shauna

• sierra_z2b
    18 years ago

Hi there,

We are learning font sizesize=4>color=#FF00FF> and color.color=008000>

Hee hee I think I got it.
    Sierra

• sierra_z2b
    18 years ago

Thanks for the info...

Sierra

• CrazyDaisy_68
    18 years ago

I tried this color thing yesterday but I was putting quotations around the color name. Lets try this again!

18 years ago

Once on another forum here, someone was explaining this. So i tried the colour thing, and it turned THE WHOLE THREAD BLUE!. The whole thread! I was so embarassed! LOL

• luv2gro
    18 years ago

Marcia,

Can you teach me how to change the whole thread to a different color? I don't like black. ROTFLLLLLL!!!!!!

luv2gro (My son just taught me this. Isn't it cool?)

Shauna

• CrazyDaisy_68
    18 years ago

probably if you forget to do the /font tag it would continue the colour change!

I agree, I like blue too!

• northspruce
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh no what have I done? I have created a monster! Soon we will be one of those forums where people add annoying animated smilies :0

• luv2gro
    18 years ago

This is very time consuming. But, it is really fun.

Yes, Laurie, you have created monsters. But, I won't be sending any smiley faces. I can't figure out how to download them on my Mac! LOL!

Shauna

• leftwood
    18 years ago

Please NO blinking?size=5>

>>>It hurts my eyes.

Maybe not too much animation. I think it would slow down our dial up connections?

Rick

18 years ago

I don't think i've ever seen anyone with a big blinking sig on the GardenWeb. Delphi has its share though - yeesh!

• sierra_z2b
    18 years ago

Marcia....what is Delphi?

Sierra

18 years ago

It's another site with a lot of different forums.

Here is a link that might be useful: I hope this is the right address! :)

• northspruce
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I heard on the roses forum that GW doesn't support animations. Which is fine with me... I think there's such a thing as subtlety.

18 years ago

For sure. There are people who use huge sigs that come up with their one-line messages, and then you have to scroll through these things to get to the next message. No subtlety there!