Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazy_gardener

High Speed

Crazy_Gardener
18 years ago

Finally after 6 long years of having slow dial up we now have high speed Internet, what a difference when viewing all the wonderful garden photos in the gallery!

Sharon

Comments (11)

• Laurie_z3_MB
    18 years ago

Congrats Sharon! Faster is always better in the internet world. When we first got hooked up to the internet, we had dial up for a month. DH isn't a patient guy and couldn't handle how slow it was. Sometimes he even grumbles when it takes 30 seconds to download a 5 mb email.

I think gardening teaches patience, but not when you're trying to look at gardening pictures!LOL

Laurie

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    18 years ago

Oh great! I love mine too, though i don't think it's as fast as it should be. Of course, it could be the thousands of pictures i have saved in here... I have some of them on CD now (got a burner for Christmas), but i'm afraid to delete them from the computer. LOL

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

We were spoiled when we first got our computer, at that time we were living in Saskatoon and high speed was available, then when we moved out here in the country the only available way was thru dial up.

Marcia, I'll have to get busy and burn my garden photos into a CD someday too.

Here's the package that we got...

Here is a link that might be useful: Wy-COM

• SeaOtterCove
    18 years ago

That is great Sharon, one less person to feel bad about when we have the huge photo files in the gallery. I just looked at the package they offer. Did you really pay $299.95 for them to come install your internet? I don't think I paid anything for my cable provider to come. I would love the faster bit though, I think I need to burn some pictures and music to disks or buy more RAM (I think that is it). My computer is running pretty slow.

Syreeta

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yup, thats how much it cost for the installation. Well worth it though.

Sharon

• alalbertaz2b
    18 years ago

Hi Sharon
    Welcome to the world of high speed!!! I got hooked up in November and I love it. I wouldn't go back to dial up again. The cost of installation is almost like getting hooked up to satelite T.V..

A question as to how they were able to give you high speed as I realize you are in a rural setting. Did they use a dish to hook you up via satelite or some other method? I have several friends who are wanting to get high speed internet but they live away from town and have been told that they could expect to wait at least 10 years. Thanks!

Cheers Al

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    18 years ago

Al, there's one company around here that connects rural people with a small dish on a high tower. I should have gone with them when my ISP went down last year, but at the moment (couldn't wait another one!), Sympatico was cheaper and i signed up with them. Just after i did that, this local company came out with a better deal! Oh well, i'm here now.

Not sure what's going on here, but i've been having real problems with connecting to the internet and loading pages. I can get into the Garden Web but it's v-e-r-y s-l-o-w! Slower than dial-up! I was on the phone with Vivek :) for a long time last night while he tried to fix my problem, but it wasn't working. I hope it's Sympatico and not me - Grrrr!

• Pudge 2b
    18 years ago

I was wondering this too, Al. The link says they can provide service to customers up to 29 km away from one of their base install points. There's another page that people can fill out to see if it is already in their area, or when they can expect it to be in their area.

Here is a link that might be useful: the other page

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Al, its not a dish/satelite kind, like I thought it was going to be. DH said it looks like a paint roller that's mounted way on top of the old TV antenna that signals to a tower. Unbelievable fast!

Sharon

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Here is DH speaking...

We have small transmitter the size of a paint roller because we are within a few miles (3.5 miles) of the tower. Between 7 to 18 miles from the tower we would have needed a dish, similar in size to satellite tv dishes.

Darren

• SeaOtterCove
    18 years ago

Now it makes sense as to why you paid so much for installation. If that I was the only way I could have high speed I'd do the same. I was thinking that the installation was similar to mine. I think the guy was here for 15 minutes and he was done, if that 'service' was $300 I would of had a fit.

Hope you are having fun looking at all those gardening websites that take so long to open. I.E. Gardens North :)

Syreeta

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County