Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valleyrimgirl

Public speaking

valleyrimgirl
18 years ago

Has anyone spoken at horticultural meetings, conventions or events and what was your topic?

I did so at the Wawanesa Hort Day a few days ago and my topic was Garden Art.

Brenda

Comments (8)

• Crazy_Gardener
    18 years ago

Oh Brenda that is great! Let's hear what you had to say, photos would be also great to see ;)

I haven't, but I know Marcia did ;)

Sharon

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    18 years ago

Yes, i did a Winter Sowing presentation last year - in my housecoat! LOL

{{gwi:691299}}

(After seeing this picture, you know why i need to read the Diet and Exercise thread! LOL)

• Crazy_Gardener
    18 years ago

LOL, LOL, LOL... I still get a good laugh from that photo Marcia!!!

Sharon

• valleyrimgirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

What I had to say...how do you condense a 45 minute talk/speech into 2 or 3 sentences???

Well, I took them (not physically but just verbally) on a tour of my acreage... then I talked about how garden art is so individual, completes the flowerbed, etc... why buy when you can make it for a lot cheaper and more durable,... then I did a "show and tell" with things that I have made whether with tin, plexiglass, copper, slate, bowling balls, cups and saucers and glasswear, wood, etc., also talked about different glues, paints, etc. to use. Also gave examples of bad choices of paint or varnish that was used on a project so to "pursuade" them to use the correct stuff for what they want to do.

All found that they really enjoyed my talk. A lot of people came up later for advice on what to do with... or where do I get... how do I do....
    I hope that after all the work I put into it that I will be asked again to present it somewhere else. I know that a lot of clubs are always looking for a speaker on something new...so...I'll see. My DH did tell me that maybe now I would actually sleep. When I woke up each morning last week I would think of what I wanted to do yet...craft wise... and then I would be wide awake and out of bed...off to the living room/dining room to work on the speech or craft.

For example, why go to the nursery and spend about $20 on a cup windchime when you can go to a thrift store and purchase a little cup, then go to a dollar store and purchase a little windchime, then buy a glass and tile bit at a hardware store(which you can use again and again). Drill a hole in the cup, take your windchime apart enough to get the windchime to dangle through the cup and there...your own homemade windchime. Mine cost me about $2.50 including taxes (excluding the cost of the glass and tile bit which was $5ish).

{{gwi:691301}}

I showed them simple things to make but things that would last in the garden and weather. Look for more things later under C for crafts in the gallery. Actually the plexiglass stained glass picures that I make I posted under C also. I showed a few of those at the talk also.

Brenda

• Crazy_Gardener
    18 years ago

Brenda, that teacup chime is awesome!

Sharon

• Laurie_z3_MB
    18 years ago

Glad to hear that your speech was a success Brenda. You are the craftiest person I know ;)

Love the housecoat Marcia, talk about an ice breaker!lol

Laurie

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    18 years ago

The people on the WS Forum told me to "tell it like i do it", and when i joked "In my housecoat?", they said yes! LOL So i thought, what the heck? It was the local Hort. Society and they all know i'm crazy!

• CrazyDaisy_68
    18 years ago

I love your cup wind chime! I will have to go check out the C for crafts thread now. Too funny about running out of bed at all hours and jotting down ideas... I do that too! LOL

Marcia, I love that you did your speech "like you do it!"

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022