Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sierra_z2b

Lets talk Watering cans...

sierra_z2b
14 years ago

Okay what kind of watering cans does everyone have?

I have notices all kinds of watering cans out in stores and catalogues in some very pretty colours this year. They are in pretty shades of pastels as well as some bright primary colours. I was thinking they would look great placed around the garden as ornaments.

I also purchased a Haws watering can this year. The design of this watering can is to stop water from pouring out the top and soaking the gardener. Lets hope, I hate it when the water pours down on me when I have to use the watering can, on non water days here.

I also purchased a Haws mister. This is an interesting little gadget. Good for those little seedlings you don't want to flatten. But you do have to hold it a distance from the seedlings...causing the misting to go everywhere. I also found it good for watering in pelleted seed....to help break down the pellet coatings.

So what watering cans is everyone else using...and what are your thoughs and opinions on these pretty colors this year?

Sierra

Comments (10)

• savona
    14 years ago

I dont have much to say about watering cans unless it contains a grump or too...lol. The only watering can that works for me in the green house is a little one that has a gentle spout that doesnt flatten seedlings.The trouble is it is only a couple litres in size so I am constantly going back to the water barrel to refill.It makes watering in the green house a timely chore.
    It has never dawned on me to buy a pretty one...lol..Jean

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    14 years ago

So I went to Canadian Tire yesterday to get a watering can, since the ones I bought last year all sprung leaks, and find they have these beautiful pastel ones for $10. I have a watering can collection, but of course I don't use the fancy ones for the garden, so I couldn't resist buying one of every color! And then I had to buy an indoor one, and a different outdoor one in case I want to use the pretty pastel ones to plant flowers in! This is all fine and dandy and I am pleased with my first purchase of the season. I also picked up some Casa Blanca lilies that were struggling to get out of their bags, some glads that were just left over, and a couple of dahlias to go with the ones I got from McFayden's. I didn't even overspend! Today, in the NEW Can Tire flyer, the watering cans are $6.99!!! I will use them for planting flowers in!

On a more positive note, the best watering can I use is my dad's old metal one that has been here since I can remember, about 40 years! I still use it but will retire it to become part of the garden decor along with the cultivator, wheelbarrow, fork, rake and hoe. All Dad's original tools.

If I were to purchase a REAL watering can , I would get another good metal one although they don't make them like they used to. So, the all in one plastic ones with a large spray spout will have to do. I found the ones from Can. Tire, the pretty pastel ones, have the bottom sealed on and they are quick to leak. Good for planting in though since they have built in drainage:).

As for a mister, the dollar store ones work just fine for me!

Happy spring everyone! It is finally here!

Ginny

• garden_chicken
    14 years ago

Years ago (maybe more than 10 years? Wow!) I bought a plastic Haws watering can from Lee Valley. It was in the discount/returns bin. I don't recall how much I paid for it, certainly not full price, but it came with a watering rose & a tea spout. I absolutely love it, it has seen plenty of abuse but it is standing up wonderfully. Nicely balanced when it is full of water too.

I did see some really cute ones at a local garden center, chickens, ducks & pigs. Not sure how practical they would be but they did make me chuckle.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plastic Haws

• luckygal
    14 years ago

I'd love to get a very expensive watering can but have never really felt it necessary. I recently bot a nice new metal one at a moving sale for $2. I also have a couple of old plastic ones I still use. Have only started gardening and have to get outside right now!!! Just in for lunch break.

So glad spring is finally here and it's nice and sunny.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    14 years ago

I have four watering cans. Of course, the grandkids took my best one and broke the spout. :/ Most of them leak around the spout as well. So i'm really tempted to buy a good metal one, but i cringe at the price. Will have to bite the bullet one of these days.

14 years ago

Went back to Can. Tire and they gave me a price adjustment which meant $12.70 back. Just enough to buy 5 new perennials! I'm still going to use my pretty pastel watering cans till I find something pretty and pastel to plant in them:)

Ginny

• sierra_z2b
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jean ...maybe a pretty pastel one will chase the grumps away. lol. I know what you mean, most are just to small, but then the bigger ones are so heavy. I don't think there is a win win with this and when watering pots it has to be gentle. In the greenhouse I just use the hose with a wand on the rain nozzle.

Ginny, Planting in them is an excellent idea. 6.99 at CT you say....wonder if it is the same here. I will have to go check today. lol. Oh and good that they gave you the sale price....more plants is ALWAYS GOOD. :)

Garden chicken. The best time to buy anything with the haws name on it is when it is on sale. Unfortunately thoses sales are hard to find. I think this is a great watering can though, and I love the rose that it came with. The balance makes it much easier to use than the regular cheaper watering cans and the extra piece on the top stops the water from pouring down when watering planters above your head. I haven't seen any chicken, duck or pig watering cans. lol

Katie, Nice to see you back and getting some work done in the garden. Ya we have finally lost enough snow, to get out and get some cleanup done. I planted some perennials out yesterday under cozycoats. And put a few in the greenhouse. It is time to run, run run here. lol. The cheaper watering cans will get the job done....and that is what matters right. They are calling for +21 today. :)

Marcia, Metal or plastic, as long as it is well balanced and easy to use. I know the prices for a good watering cans are high, but if you use it a lot, isn't it worth it. I know I looked at them for a long time and had to talk myself into buying one. :) Your grandkids shouldn't be able to break a metal one.

Sierra

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    14 years ago

The grandkids know now, watering cans are OFF LIMITS! :) Of course, Darius (almost 2, believe it or else!) is the boss, so if she wants a watering can.... She'll have to learn! LOL

• prairierose
    14 years ago

I saw some cute ones with flowers on them yesterday, in at Fields - 25% off on all stuff for your garden.
    Connie

14 years ago

So I am using the pretty pastel watering cans and they are actually working rather well. I like that they have a large shower nose and they have a solid half dome top to keep the water from spilling all over.The top handle is sort of seperately attached and it is long so I can dip to the bottom of the rain barrel. And they are so pretty. I only hope the bottom stays intact. :)

Ginny

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area