Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sazzyrose

I can't believe it

sazzyrose
17 years ago

I work in an unionized shop and today a vote went through to accept the new contract. For me it means a $3.00 an hour raise starting today. Wow!!! I am doing the happy dance.

Comments (12)

• northspruce
    17 years ago

Yay! Yay! More roses for yooooou! Wow $3 is a lot all at once, I hope you don't lose your head and develop an actual rose addiction... Just kidding.

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Too late on the rose addiction. We really could use a new vehicle, and have been trying to build up an account instead of borrowing so much. This will definately help. This raise was long over due, we are finally in wage competition with the other larger companies in our area.

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Congratulations on the raise! Yes hopefully, you'll have all the roses you want now :)

Good thing you're in SK, because in MB that would throw you in the next tax bracket and you wouldn't take home anything more than before.

Sorry to gripe, but I'm still miffed about having to pay $2500 in taxes to the government last week because DH got a raise last year :(

Laurie

• northspruce
    17 years ago

I hear ya Laurie, I got a $5,000 bonus last year and gave 1/2 straight back to the Gov't. Wouldn't complain but I had spent it on my wedding and had to borrow to pay the tax. :

• SeaOtterCove
    17 years ago

Congratulations on your raise! It is always nice when you get more money. I remember though hubby got a raise at work when he was doing his apprenticeship, he ended up taking home $25 less a paycheque. (Not doing the happy dance. :( ) Hopefully you see an increase rather than a decrease .

Syreeta

• valleyrimgirl
    17 years ago

We run our own business and of course have hand in the taxes on May 1. So, last night at 10pm I made a trip to the city and dropped off the income tax papers with a check included. Because we do not pay taxes or CPP throughout the year it also makes for a rather large check that the government gets from us at this time of the year.

If you are getting a raise at work that would jump you into the next tax bracket why not put $ into an RRSP? That deduction would bring you right down back to where you were before.

Brenda (who is glad that all the income taxes are finally done... I had 4 to do this year for us)

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

Sazzyrose, thats good to hear, our contract went thru too, I'm expecting a retro back-pay cheque from what they owed us sometime this month. My roses have been paid for already, most likely buy some new summer clothes since I lost some weight ;)

Sharon

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My roses on order have been paid for. I buy RRSP's and put money into our pension plan at work, so I'm not really worried about the tax man. Maybe I should try to loose some weight so I could buy some new clothes. (Right, I'm having a bedtime snack of Taco's at 2 am. I know where they will end up and I'm sitting on it.) Congratulations on your weight loss Sharon. Nothing beats the feeling of being able to buy clothes of a smaller size.

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

LOL....

Thanks so much Sazzy!

Btw, what's the Union you belong to?
    Mine is AUPE.

Sharon

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Steelworkers. Our staff rep who helps with the bargaining said this was the best contract that he has ever had bargained. I'm very involved. I'm the unit secretary, sit on the OH&S, and probably will become an alternate shop steward. We were unionized in 2000. My husband was the one who made the initial call and I can tell you that trying to bring a union into a small town family run business was awful. People wouldn't talk to us, kids were not allowed to come to our house(because it was a union house). A small group of us were black labeled and in the midst we found true friends. The kind that will definately watch your back. Everything has settled down but I know that there is still some hard feelings. But the saying is true "What ever doesn't break you down makes you stronger." I've become one tough little 5 ft bit.......
    (That stands for Best Individual The Company Hired.) Sorry , it's a work joke.

• tabardca
    17 years ago

You don't happen to work in St. Brieux do you? Just a guess judging by the fact that you are close to Pleasantdale because of the tree farm.

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Nope, but we are close.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor