Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
verenap_gw

All that rhubarb...

verenap
17 years ago

After seeing the direction of the Rhubarb post in the Gallery, I thought I'd start a thread for all your favorite rhubarb related recipies. (After all...once you plant rhubarb, you'll have it for life...and so will your neighbors, friends, relatives, co-workers... ;-) kinda reminds me of zuchinni.

So here's mine...

Mom's Rhubarb Saskatoon Custard Pie

4 tsp. flour

1 1/2 cups sugar (3/4c. white & 3/4c. brown)

1 tsp. nutmeg

2 eggs - beaten

1 Tbsp. lemon juice

3 cups fruit (combination of rhubarb and saskatoons)

Butter - shaved

Mix first 5 ingredients in bowl. Put fruit in (unbaked) pie shells. Put butter shavings on top of berries, pour sauce overtop. Don't overfill. Cover with pastry & bake 450*F - 10 minutes, then reduce to 350*F for 20-30 minutes.

This also makes a killer berry pie - replace rhubarb/saskatoons with fresh saskatoons and blueberries.

or

Add apples instead of rhubarb/saskatoons, reduce nutmeg and add 1 tsp of cinnamon.

What are some others??

Verena

Comments (6)

• northspruce
    17 years ago

Mmmmm Verena, that sounds so good! Custard Pie is so... English. LOL

Here's mine:

Rhubarb Pudding Cake

Part 1) Cake
    4 cups chopped rhubarb stalks
    1 cup flour
    3/4 cup white sugar
    1/3 cup milk
    3 tbsp melted butter
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease an 8" square baking pan. Layer rhubarb over bottom of pan. Mix flour, sugar, milk, butter, baking powder, salt & vanilla, and spread mixture over rhubarb.

Part 2) Topping
    1 cup sugar
    1 Tbsp cornstarch
    1 cup boiling water
    1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

Combine sugar & cornstarch, sprinkle over cake batter. Pour boiling water over, don't stir. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake 55 to 65 minutes at 350F.

• echoes_or
    17 years ago

What is Saskatoons??? Sorry never heard of it before. LOL Thought after I read it yesterday it meant some kind of cookie but not now. LOL The recipes sound wonderful. I make cobbler but never really have a recipe except for the topping which is the best for fruit cobblers...

Going to print these... Oh - what would substitute for Saskatoons?

• northspruce
    17 years ago

Echoes, Saskatoons are wild berries, Amelanchier alnifolia. I think Americans call them Service Berries or June Berries. They're similar in a lot of ways to blueberries but grow on a tall shrub. I'm not sure if they are native to your part of the mountains. Some people say they taste like blueberries with a hint of almond.

Anyway you could substitute blueberries without changing much.

• northspruce
    17 years ago

I forgot to mention, about the Rhubarb Pudding Cake Recipe, it seems like weird quantities of ingredients and every time I make it I think -this can't work. But it does! And also it's hard to get the dough spread over the rhubarb in once piece, don't worry if it has gaps, just try to keep the dough on top and the rhubarb on the bottom.

• garden_chicken
    17 years ago

Well Gil... all I have to say is "YUMMMMM!" DH is a big fan of rhubarb so being the dutiful whife I am, I whipped up a batch of your Rhubarb Pudding cake. It is great! I usually cheap out on sugar but this time around I thought I'd better follow the recipe as written and am glad I did. Yup, this one is a keeper.

Going to have to try Verena's pie recipe but DH was spoiled as a child with huckleberries & looks down his nose at saskatoons - lol Not sure if huckleberries would be a good substitute in this case, they're pretty tart little guys and that might tip the sugar scale...

• northspruce
    17 years ago

Yay! I'm so glad you made the cake and liked it! :0) My DH turned up his nose at it the first time, said he doesn't like "roobur" (his Grandma calls it that,LOL), but when I forced him to try it he said it tasted like apple pie and polished the rest off.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio