Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seaottercove

I Got A Job!!!

SeaOtterCove
17 years ago

I just got a phone call from my old employer and they offered me the landscaping job this year! I am so excited! :D I meet with them on Wednesday to discuss my visions for the landscaping and salary. So... this means I have to go sketch out flowerbeds and what I would like to do to them. All the shrubs need to be pruned, perennials need to be divided and the soil amended. Plus they are really big on green grass so that means that I'll be doing lots of greens-keeping. What I need to figure out is what I should ask for a hourly wage. Any suggestions? I don't really know what the going rate is for something like this. Plus I'll be using my own lawnmower, tools, weed-eater (which I have to buy since mine is electric) and truck to haul topsoil. This should be loads of fun. Plus it works really well since I do have health problems and it isn't a strict 9-5 job. Now I can afford to buy plants for MOI!

Syreeta

Comments (9)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    17 years ago

Congratulations! I have no idea what to ask for a wage, but if you have to buy and use your own tools, there should be some compensation for that.

Now, after you've used the truck to haul topsoil, you stop at the nursery on the way back and fill up with plants! :>

• sazzyrose
    17 years ago

My grandparents have just signed up for yardcare. It is going to cost them $600 for the season.(May to September) For them this means someone to come in once a week to mow the lawn, the grass will be aerated and the trees will be pruned this spring,and the garden will be mulched spring and fall. They might also fertilize the lawn,but I can't really remember. Yardcare will be using all of their own equipment. My DM and I figured it would work out to around $25 each week for mowing their yard and it isn't that big. Why don't you ask your employer how much they are willing to spend?
    I would love to have your new job. Congratulations.

• northspruce
    17 years ago

Wow that's gonna be an exciting job! Soon we will be posting pics asking you for landscaping help! ;0)

I would have no clue what to ask either, I'm sure it would be completely different from here anyway since our wages are lower.

Congratulations!

• verenap
    17 years ago

What a great opportunity!!!

You might want to consider looking up landscapers in your area (or nearby major centers) try the telus business finder. (www.mytelus.com/phonebook/index.do) Just pose as a potential customer let them know what needs to be done and ask them what the going hourly rate is. This should give you a general idea, and you can decide from there what you feel is fair.

Congratulations!!!

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

Congratulations!

Landscaping is hard labor work, I'd for sure want at least $15 an hour for the labor and they foot the bills for the extra expenses such as plants, soil amendments, and most importanly, will you be paying for the gas for the lawnmover and trimmer, etc?, that itself will put a huge dint in cost.

Sharon

• SeaOtterCove
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for all the congratulations. Well I just got back from taking pictures and sketches of all the flowerbeds. Turns out they have pretty much everything I'd need in terms of gardening tools. Although I think I'll bring my Felcos' to prune with. :) They want to do a major overhaul and are looking to spend thousands in the next couple of years redoing all the landscaping. I.E. a berm along the parking lot that will be 15' wide and about 400 yards long planted with shrubs and grass. It is going to start out full time and then when the majority of work slows down to more maintenance then I'll go down to 2 or 3 days a week. So... considering I don't need to bring my own tools and they are willing to pay for topsoil, compost, shrubs, plants, bulbs and tool rentals. The $16 an hour they offered (casual pay rate) I can live with. I did look online what jobs are paying and depending on experience and the job it is between $12 and $20. Plus I'm hoping to get a trip paid for to the big city to go buy plants. That would be a blast! :)

Syreeta

• CrazyDaisy_68
    17 years ago

Congratulations --- that sure sounds like a fun job! Hope you do get that trip into the big city. Some plants you just can FIND any other way... right???? ;^)

Ang

• alalbertaz2b
    17 years ago

Now we know who to ask when we have a landscaping problem!!! Congrats on the new job. I hope it goes well for you.

Cheers Al

• SeaOtterCove
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks again for the good wishes. I meet with them on Wednesday to discuss my suggestions and ideas for landscaping. Hopefully they like them. The trip to the big city wouldn't be just about picking up things that I couldn't find here but also price. Last year I picked up a `Mme. Lemoine' lilac for $12 at CT, in town they wanted $35.

Anyways, I'm off to go research more shrubs that don't attract bears, are deer/moose proof and give as much bang for their buck as possible.

Syreeta