Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northspruce

Wedding Pics

northspruce
18 years ago

Well there was some interest in wedding flowers so I thought I would post mine. I bought them all at Safeway and Superstore and arranged them myself - not that they're anything special. I had a hard time finding white roses that were not too greeny or yellowy. My wedding "colours" were supposed to be black and white but we had to throw in red because black & white aren't colours LOL.

My bouquet was mostly white with a few red

{{gwi:693457}}

And my dress was white with black embroidery and white crystal beading

{{gwi:693458}}

The bridesmaids' bouquets were mostly red with a few white - I didn't get a good picture until later when they were already looking kinda sad.

{{gwi:693459}}

Anyway that was it for flowers because I didn't get to decorate the reception hall - it was the Art Gallery and they don't let you in ahead of time. Wasn't important to me anyway.

Comments (13)

• northspruce
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sorry I don't know what happened to my picture sizes. I hope they're not too big, I tried to resize them

• greenlove
    18 years ago

I know I'm supposed to wow about the flowers but may I just say how absolutely stunning your wedding gown is? Congratulations and many happy years together!
    Kate

• Laurie_z3_MB
    18 years ago

Wow, just awesome! You did a fabulous job on the flowers, as well as probably saving a pile of money too. Kate's right, your dress was lovely too. When shopping for my sister's dress, I was amazed at how many of the dresses aren't all white now. Quite a few had different coloured embroidery or trim or buttons, etc. I thought there was so much more to choose from than when I got married.
    Thanks for posting those. I love seeing wedding photos. There's never two alike.
    Now, I'm off to Safeway to pick up a few flowers myself and then I come back and cut all the flowers out of my garden and load the car up to head up for the wedding. Honestly, I don't think I was this nervous for my own wedding!

Laurie

• northspruce
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you both for your kind words :) I was very happy with my dress, it needed no alterations besides a $70 bottom hem which is incredible. I like the different colours available now too, there were some really pretty ones with just a bit of pink or blue or red. The main thing that I did not think of before, was that a dress with a little bit of colour makes for the most AMAZING photos. It really shows up like an all white design does not.

On the roses, well yes I did save a ton of money. There were 5 bridesmaids and myself, and I don't remember how much it was exactly but I think it was just under $200.00 for all the roses. If people pre-order from a florist it costs more like $1000 depending what you get, but I can see the point if you need to know that what you want will be available, and arranged and delivered. To each their own. I thought it was fun.

Laurie make sure you take some pics of the flowers this weekend! I want to seeeee! I love weddings and wedding pics too!

• luv2gro
    18 years ago

Gillian, those are beautiful flowers and what a gorgeous bride. Looks like you had a nice sunny day, too.

When I got married, my maid of honor's mom did all of our flowers for us. It was vogue to have an all white bouquet and I envisioned all of my favorites like lily of the valley, stephanotis, gardenias, white roses, etc. That is exactly what I got and a bouquet to rival Princess Di's. However, they were all silk. Also the vogue at the time. I so wanted real but the cost was just prohibitive. We've moved 4 times since we got married and each time we move, my bouquet gets pushed back deeper and deeper into the amassed sea of boxes. But, I guess, our boys will just roll their eyes when they find it many years from now in the basement. "What's this?" "I don't know - just some ol' flowers.""Chuck 'em?" "Yeah, unless you want them?" "Nah, I don't want them." "Then chuck 'em." Yup, I can just see it now. : ) The joys of having all boys.

Laurie, I'm not sure where I got the idea that this wedding was in your own backyard but that is what I was thinking. I now gather that it is not. Duh! That's why I was saying you could sink the potted mums into the blank spaces. Best of luck with everything this weekend. Everything will be beautiful, I'm sure.

Shauna

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    18 years ago

I looked closely and didn't see any goosebumps! LOL We DID have a nice April, didn't we? You would have had to put a sweater on in May or June!

Beautiful dress, Northspruce, and lovely flowers too. You done good!

• northspruce
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yeah it was 18* that day and not a wisp of cloud. I was SO lucky, because it snowed the following weekend and didn't warm up till, well, you know when it warmed up. August. LOL.

• Crazy_Gardener
    18 years ago

NS, what a beautiful bride you were and the flowers looks just like a pro arranged them!

I looked closely too and didn't see any goosebumps but what a nice golden tan you had there! Tanning bed?

Sharon

• ian_bc_north
    18 years ago

Lovely wedding photos Northspruce!
    The photo of the hands with the wedding rings is a nice touch.

Remind DH of how fortunate he is.

Having been the father of a bride I can certainly relate to cost control in a wedding.

Ian

• CrazyDaisy_68
    18 years ago

Wonderful wedding pics! I love the way you did the bouquets. I LOVE your dress! WOW!

I'm very much a "make it yourself" kind of person too, so I know where your coming from.

• sierra_z2b
    18 years ago

Very nice Gillian,

Your dress was gorgeous and your flowers beautiful!

Sierra

• valleyrimgirl
    18 years ago

I love your dress too! There are quite a few dresses like that now, and I do agree, it looks good to have a little color on the bride's dress, too.

This summer when my daughter was married, we also purchased all the flowers from Safeway. Pat, at the Safeway here in Bdn. did an awesome job. My daughter's bouquet was in the same idea as yours but she chose all red roses. The bridesmaids carried a miniature version of hers by carrying 3 white roses. Since Kristin was in white carrying red roses, and her bridesmaids wore red carrying white roses and the flowergirl wore white carrying a basket of red roses (fake) with real rose petals also in the basket, it made for stunning pictures. The guys already all had their own black suits. The groom wore a white shirt with a white tie with a red rose on his lapel. The groomsmen wore white shirts, a red tie and each had a white rose in their lapel. The ringbearer wore black pants, white shirt, a red bow tie and a red rose and, of course, carried a white ringbearer pillow. The flowers were $320 including taxes. Of course that price also includes all the flowers for the mothers, fathers, grandparents, guest book attendants, pastor and music.

Shauna, you may have sons now, but...someday you will have daughters-in-law. My husband is one of 4 boys of whom 3 were married. My mother-in-law, when I expressed interest, gave me all her china and the china cabinet. It is a pattern called Kentish Rockery which has a garden scene on it. I love it and she knew I would cherish it. I also expressed interest in preserving her doll that she had when she was a little girl. She gave it to me in a glass case and it is beside my doll on display in our bedroom. Knitting, crocheting, sewing and gardening were all interests that we had in common (besides her son) and I am so glad that I was able to share those interests with her. She's been gone for a few years now. Now...I wish I had also taken time and slowly gone through all the photo albums with her, to really get an idea of her history as displayed in the pictures she had kept over the years. Oh, well...

• northspruce
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks again everyone, my head is outgrowing my hat! LOL
    VRGirl your daughter's wedding sounds so pretty :) And very much like mine... the bridesmaids also wore red (you can see a bit in the first pic), I just loved their dresses! I wanted one.

BTW Sharon yes I did have a tan, I am usually white and freckly. I had been tanning in a salon but we also went to Cancun a month before the wedding. Errrr, you know the honeymoon before the wedding. LOL. Actually there were several good reasons, mostly my work schedule and the availability of holiday packages after March. It was actually really nice to take a week off and stop worrying about wedding plans.

I also know a lot of people who used artifical flowers for their wedding. I think it's a great idea if you want to keep them. Plus they don't get tired looking by the reception. I don't even know what happened to my bouquet - sad eh? I was busy tending to a bridesmaid who was super drunk and barfing in a taxi. LOL. It was a fun wedding.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio