Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazy_gardener

Labour Long Weekend

Crazy_Gardener
17 years ago

Happy Labour Long Weekend everyone!

Got the camper all packed, pots and containers all watered and just waiting here for DH to get off work and were headed off to the lake (4.5hr drive). Whooohooo!

Some of you may recall that my Dad passed away 2 years ago, he just turned 67 and had heart attack, anyway he donated his body to science and we finally got his ashes back. Therefore all of us are getting together for a memorial get-together this weekend for him. I know one is not supposed to do this, but us kids are planning to spread some of his ashes around the campfire, the golf course and at the lake, his favourite 3 places in life. The rest of his ashes will be buried when my mom leaves this earth, she too is donating her body to science when goes. ItÂs going to be a sad ordeal over again, but it is also going to be a celebration of how wonderful my dad was.

So what is everybody else up to? Gil, I suppose you'll be very busy packing and digging ;)

Have a good one and drive safe!

Hugs,

Sharon

Comments (16)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    17 years ago

I'm not sure what's happening tomorrow, but we're supposed to go to the lake on Sunday. Actually, tomorrow might be rose-moving day, at least for Miss Sunrise. I've been giving her extra water for two weeks now, so it's time.

Have a good weekend, Sharon, even if it will be a little sad.

Hope everyone else has a good one too!

• valleyrimgirl
    17 years ago

Well, we're moving our youngest son to University of Manitoba in Winnipeg into residence on Saturday. He starts his first year of engineering in university next week.

Tonight I 'have' to make an apple pie for him to take to Winnipeg.

Sunday will be spent gathering food, etc from here for our other son, who is going back to the U of M but into an apartment instead. Monday we move him to Winnipeg. He's going into third year of mechanical engineering. He will also get a fresh apple pie.

In between I have some weeding, planting, etc that I'd like to do. I am going through the flowerbeds, removing and moving.

Starting Tuesday...it is just my DH and I. Second honeymoon??? :)

Brenda

• alalbertaz2b
    17 years ago

Not doing too much this weekend. Saterday we are expecting my wife's cousin to arrive from Winnipeg for a few days visit. On Sunday we are off to celebrate a friends 30th wedding anniversary. The rest of the time I will either be visiting, in my garden, or in my shop getting some things ready for a craft sale in November.

Cheers Al

• sazzyrose
    17 years ago

I did pickles and relish Friday after work. I made Brenda's sweet hamburger relish recipe and it is very good. Thanks for the recipe Brenda. Yesterday I started doing some corn, but got interupted when my 15 yr old son came home from quading. We had to take him into the hospital because he fell off the quad. It turns out that he broke his collar bone. At least that is all that happened. Years ago a friends son fell off a quad as well. He landed badly and broke his neck. He died instantly.
    So far today I have finished up my corn. I probably will tackle some sauerkraut next.
    And tomorrow is our anniversary, so we are planning on going golfing in the afternoon. We haven't gone out yet this year. It's time.
    Shelley

• valleyrimgirl
    17 years ago

You're welcome Shelley.

Well, this weekend went well. Took one boy on Saturday into Winnipeg and the other today. While in there today we all went out for a late lunch at Red Lobster.

Now, it is back to life on the acreage minus 2 boys. Time to clean the house from top to bottom (especially 2 boys rooms which will be turned into 2 guest rooms). I am still planting new 2006 acquisitions and cleaning through the flowerbeds. Lots to do.

Brenda

• northspruce
    17 years ago

Yes Sharon's right, I was digging my garden up this weekend. Oh man that was hard work, digging out 25+ year old roses. I got about 2/3 of what I'm taking dug up, all the hard stuff, and everything's in a pot ghetto on the lawn. The plants look happy and not wilty which is a relief. Getting excited about moving!

Yesterday I took the dogs on a favourite hiking trail in Whiteshell park, at the end of which is a raging waterfall. It's been so dry this summer, the waterfall was strangely absent. It was so weird, the whole river dried up and we were walking along the river bottom.

Shelly, glad your son was not seriously injured - I don't know how you gals with sons sleep at night!!

17 years ago

Gil, i moved Miss Sunrise on Saturday afternoon and she still isn't too happy with it. I wonder if i didn't dig up enough roots or something? The tips of her canes are all wilty. I dread moving that Hansa rose now! :(

• northspruce
    17 years ago

Marcia, I pruned my roses when I dug them up. I think that helps equalize the root loss. You will always damage the little roots.

• CrazyDaisy_68
    17 years ago

My in-laws were here for the weekend along with DH's other brother and his wife... so yeah, lots of visiting and BBQ'ing, etc. After they left yesterday we headed out for the Church Picnic and then this morning was the back-to-school assembly. Yup, they are all in school now so it'll be back to work part-time for me!

Gil, 2/3 done?!!! Awesome. I can see that you would be getting exciting about moving now! It starts to feel "real" once you really get going on it, hey?

Ang

17 years ago

Gil, she's looking a bit better today. I didn't prune her - didn't think it was the right time. But i guess it doesn't matter if you're moving them anyway.

We had a great couple of days at the lake. The weather was sunny and warm, the water was nice, the fishing was good. Just perfect. :) Dh worked at organizing his shed ("I can't believe I have all these different kinds of nails!" LOL) and i cleaned the cabin - brought out all the stuff that should have been in the shed! Then yesterday, we cleaned up the beach. The water is so low, the lowest we've ever seen. We picked up sticks and moved rocks, that sort of thing.

This is a picture of the cabin:
    {{gwi:693772}}
    This picture shows how low the water is. You can see the high water mark on the rock in the foreground, and there is usually very little beach - a foot or so.
    {{gwi:693773}}

The only thing wrong was that with the water being so low, we couldn't actually swim. I can go out up to my waist but after that i'm into the big rocks. I love swimming, so i hope this situation improves by next summer!

• Pudge 2b
    17 years ago

Wow Marcia, what a beautiful place - that is definitely bubble material there.

Sharon, I hope the weekend was filled with happy memories.

17 years ago

Pudge, i haven't planted a thing out there - it's all natural! We did have a small vegetable garden right in front of the cabin when we used to spend more time out there, but that was years ago.

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Marcia, what a little piece of paradise you have there! Love all that rock.

We ended up camping at Minnedosa Lake with a whole group of friends. The weather was fantastic, but Friday night was a little cool, as it got down to about 3C. People in town were saying that they had to scrape windsheilds! It was nice and hot in the afternoon for swimming and there was no wind in the evening, so it made it great for sitting around the campfire.

Here's a pic I took of the lake. The water was like glass, and one of the kids on the dock was my oldest DS.

{{gwi:693774}}

Today is the first day of school for my oldest, and my youngest starts kindergarten next week. I'll finally have the computer to myself every other day ;^)

17 years ago

That's a beautiful lake, Laurie, and you took a nice picture. I love evening ones, and i love lakes when they're like glass. :)

I'd like to have some of that rock at home! I need a spot with a big rock but of course there's nothing like that close to home. Nothing i could lift by myself, anyway!

• valleyrimgirl
    17 years ago

Haven't we had a lot of nice evenings this summer? Being warm in the evenings and no mosquitos, it's been just perfect for walking...and camping...and weeding...and working in the yard...and visiting with friends and family.

Marcia, is your cabin in the Lake of the Woods somewhere? I know you live close to there.

Laurie, 'those were the days'. Remember them well, sending kids to school. Won't it be nice to walk past the computer and know that if you want to sit and see what the FN is talking about you can and don't have to 'kick' someone off in order to do so.

It is definitely fall when I have to haul out the crates and start filling them. Picked a crate of Goodland apples, a crate of Colette apples, a crate of ripe tomatoes and a crate of turning tomatoes tonight. Also picked 4 corn cobs for night snack for my DH and I...with lots of butter and salt.

Brenda

17 years ago

Brenda, we're an hour east of Kenora, though i guess since our cabin is north and west of here, technically it's a little closer to Kenora than that. :) It's a wilderness cabin, accessible only by boat (or floatplane, but let's not get carried away here!).

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting