Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

He performed in Dryden today and i got to attend with the Gr. 1, 2 and 3 classes. Best of all, i was able to bring my little grandguy, even though his SK class wasn't going! He was kind of leery about going at first, but once Munsch began to tell stories, Shayne was enthralled. It was fun to watch him clap and yell out some of the stories' key phrases along with the other kids. Would you believe that none of the other schools allowed their librarians to attend? What a shame!

One of the other school's principals must have had some kind of an "in". She brought the whole school (there are only about 50 kids in the school anyway) and they all had front seats, so whenever Munsch talked to kids or got volunteers, they were from that school. It was fun anyway. Our kids were really well-behaved, even though they had the longest to wait because of the longer bus ride and because we were the first ones there.

I'm really glad i got to go!

Comments (19)

• valleyrimgirl
    17 years ago

He does write great kids' books! Where is he from?

Brenda

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    Original Author
    17 years ago

He's originally from the States but now lives somewhere in the Guelph/Kitchener area.

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

Never heard of him, but glad you had fun ;)

• valleyrimgirl
    17 years ago

There are a couple of my favorites.

One about a little boy who has to go pee at all the wrong times, called 'I Have to Go'.

Another one, 'Love You Forever' has the words

"I'll love you forever,
    I'll like you for always,
    as long as I'm living
    my baby you'll be."

and it is just a wonderful kid's book about loving your child and singing this song to them at night when they are put to bed. Then they love you and hold you and sing the song to you when you are old and then when they have a baby the same poem/song is sung to their baby.

http://www.angelfire.com/ms/prekteach/love.html

Sharon, check this out. It will bring tears to your eyes.

Brenda

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

What a great time that would have been Marcia. My boys would have LOVED it!

When my oldest son was born, my aunt gave me the book 'Love You Forever' and I still can't make it through it without choking up. Sniff.

Original Author
    17 years ago

He did "I Have To Go", using a boy from the audience as the main character, but he didn't do "Love You Forever". You know, kids think that book is hilarious, but i doubt if many people read it to them because it does make an adult cry. When it first came out, i was okay with it because my kids were at difficult ages and i wasn't getting too sentimental over them - mostly MAD! - but now i get misty-eyed over it.

• prairierose
    17 years ago

Robert Munsch has always been one of my favorites for reading aloud at school. Most of the kids know the story, and will help you out on his repetitive phrases. They really love "50 below zero" and "Mortimer".
    Connie

• Katzedecimal
    17 years ago

Ooo! Robert Munsch came out to Calgary back in the mid-'80s (promoting "Love You Forever") and came to our bookstore to sign books and do a storytelling. Hilarious! I wouldn't have missed that for the world! My favorite is "Johnathan Cleaned Up, Then He Heard a Sound..." *ROFL!!* How many days have we had that seemed like that? ^___^

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

Oh my, that was so sad.....excuse me while I get a tissue.

Original Author
    17 years ago

"Jonathan Cleaned Up!" I'd forgotten about that book. We don't have it - must remedy that situation.

Way back during the summer when Adam was 4-turning-5 (he's now 22), whenever we'd go out in the boat, he'd start hollering "CLANG, CLANG, RATTLE DING BANG! GONNA MAKE MY NOISE ALL DAY!" I hadn't read "Mortimer" back then, so i thought Adam was just terribly clever. :) I shoulda known! LOL

• CrazyDaisy_68
    17 years ago

Very cool to have met him! My kids love his books too.... but I hardly ever read to them anymore now that they can all read. Well, my youngest doesn't read yet but my oldest DD tends to read to her alot now! It's cute to see them read together but I do miss reading with them more.

Ang

Original Author
    17 years ago

Read "chapter books" to them, Ang. How old is the oldest? Kids LOVE Junie B. Jones by Barbara Parks - she's hilarious! If you like, i can come up with some other books for you - just let me know.

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Oh yes, my boys love Junie B. Jones too! Another really good series of chapter books is the Magic Tree House by Mary Pope Osborne. Lots of adventures and it's geared to either boys or girls. Right now I'm reading the Chronicles of Narnia for bedtime. Yup, all 767 pages of it, and we're only half way through. It's a little old for my 5 year old, but my 9 year loves it and begs for more than one chapter a night. And I've really gotten into too!

• skraps
    17 years ago

My favorite Robert Munsch book is" I'm so Embarrassed!"
    I read this to my 8 yrs grandson last night he loved it.

Original Author
    17 years ago

He tends to capture what kids are feeling, doesn't he? One of the questions one of my colleagues asked after i'd gone to see him was "Did he seem like he would have been a difficult child to raise?" LOL I bet he was! But at least he remembers his feelings from childhood and can use them now in stories that kids can relate to!

• CrazyDaisy_68
    17 years ago

Marcia, my oldest girl is 10 (going on 20... LOL), then a boy who's turning 9 soon, then 2 girls ages 7 and 5.

Junie B. Jones sounds really good, as does the Magical Treehouse series! Funny thing is that usually when we go to the library here the kids don't even want my help picking out books! Hmmm... I'll just have to go take them out and start reading to my youngest and see what kind of "crowd" I gather! LOL

Ang

Original Author
    17 years ago

Get something that is a little above their reading level, something that might appeal to all of them (can't think right now, but "A Series of Unfortunate Events" comes to mind), and try reading that aloud. My friend has a son who's 10 or 11. He loves reading himself but he doesn't mind listening in when she reads to the younger boy (around 8, i think).

My kids got into tv mode way too soon. :( I'm hoping now that i'll be able to read longer books or novels to my grandson. He's only 5 now and he loves books, but he's a smart cookie and will be reading soon. Today he asked me about some novels that were on display - "What kind of books are these, Grandma?" I'll have to dig up "Dinotopia" because he loves dinosaurs.

• verenap
    17 years ago

Had to weigh in on this one! (Wasn't THAT long ago that mom was reading us kids books...now she reads to dad.) Two personal favorites are Charlotte's Web and Where the Red Fern Grows (Both good..but sad too).

Robert Munsch is excelent. I'd love to take Brayden to something like that (in a few years) if we ever have the opportunity. I think my younger brother got to go see him when he was in grade 2 or 3, wow...15 years ago already...I feel old...LOL.

Verena

Original Author
    17 years ago

The friend i mentioned who reads to her boys was telling me yesterday that they told her to pick some happier books because the last few have been too sad! LOL She took four - can't remember all of them. Harriet the Spy, i think, and The Midnight Fox. Nope - can't remember. Anyway, i love finding books for her and sometimes i send along books for her older son too because the library in his school hasn't got a lot.

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor