Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurie_z3_mb

Anyone do theme dinners?

Laurie_z3_MB
18 years ago

I got to talking on another post about cooking and company. So I was wondering if anybody does anything out of the ordinary for entertaining? For example, last year another couple and us decided to have country theme dinners. Our last dinner was 'held' in Germany(this sure beats the cost of an airline ticket!). We researched Germany and made authentic entree's and dessert. We found German beers and wine to try and even had the kids decorate the dining room with flags of Germany and beer steins. I couldn't find any German music on short notice, but that would have been nice too. Other evenings we've had was Ireland on St.Patrick's day and an Aussie night(it was virtually impossible to find kangaroo meat around here, so had to substitute with beef!lol).

These evenings are a lot of fun and the kids get really excited about them too, and are therefore much more open to the idea of trying new foods, which is always a bonus. We're planning on doing Greece in the next month or so, so am looking forward to that. Thankfully, there are lots of countries, so we should be busy for a few years to come!

Does anybody else do anything different? I'm always up to hearing about new ideas!

Laurie

Comments (5)

• Crazy_Gardener
    18 years ago

Laurie, you sound like a fun person!

I've never hosted a theme dinner, but have attended many in my lifetime at different restaurants, Folkfest, Pavilions, Medieval, Pow Wows and my girlfriends big bashes they have quite often (Danish & Philippine).

Here in my household, we do the tradition bbq potlucks in the summer months, turkey dinners for Christmas or Thanksgiving and thatÂs about it, wish I were more adventurous as you, sounds like fun!

Although I must say I do put on a great buffalo spread when we have special occasions like a birthday to celebrate ;)

Sharon

• northspruce
    18 years ago

Yeah wow Laurie that does sound fun! We are not nearly that cultured although DH does like to buy beer from different countries sometims.

• SeaOtterCove
    18 years ago

It is great that you do theme dinners. It is a good way to try new foods out, especially if you live somewhere remote and can't go to a restaurant. The closest I come unfortunately is my own traditional food. (I'm French Canadian.) This includes Buche de Noel, (A chocolate log cake at Christmas), Tourtière, (Pork pie eaten Christmas Eve, for us all year), and of course lots of croissants. I'm sure there are lots of others but those stick out in my mind, mainly because not many people have heard of the Buche de Noel or Tourtière. Everyone that tries them, loves them though. :)

Syreeta

• greenlove
    18 years ago

Our neighborhood has gotten themed potlucks in the last year. We've had an East Indian and an Italian one so far and I'm hosting a Greek themed one in November. We haven't gone as far as decorating in the theme, though we did discuss costumes for the first one but it never happened. I like some of the ideas you had Laurie and may try something along that line. It would be great for my homeschooling daughter to do the research.
    Kate

• Laurie_z3_MB
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sharon, when you say buffalo spread, does that mean the meat? or is it something else? Buffalo meat, btw, is really great and very healthy too.
    Brandon's started having a folkfest a few years ago, which I just heard about, so will definitly be going to that this February.
    NS, being cultured has nothing to do with it, believe me, we're far from cultured!lol That's funny about the beer from different countries that your dh tries, as my dh and a friend's dh do the same thing, although they go a step further and actually have a journal of all the beers they've tried so as to not duplicate them. We all laugh about getting it published or applying for some type of grant for further research! ;0)
    I don't know, I guess living in the country, we're a little starved for entertainment.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH