Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19756839

indoor winter projects 2012

User
11 years ago

I don't go out much in the winter I don't like the cold. So I decided this year I would take up crocheting. I bought some yarn when Zellers was closing thinking I could make an afghan or something easy so far it is still in the bag. I also thought I could sew some chair covers for my kitchen but guess what material has not left the cupboard. One day I shall get myself a Round-Tuit and start on these projects. My dad said he has lost his "motorvation" and it seems like mine is missing also. Have you found it? and if so what projects do you work on in the winter.

Cindy

Comments (47)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    11 years ago

We don't look at this Conversations area enough, do we? :)

I have a baby blanket i was crocheting but the motivation went downhill before Christmas. I started crocheting towel toppers then, but now i need to get back with the blanket because the baby's due in a couple of weeks! Yikes!

Other than that, i do a lot of reading, and i work part time as well. So i keep busy.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Can you tell I gave up looking to see if someone responded. And guess What my round tuit is still missing. I haven't even started on the afghan I switched my focus to sewing new pillows for my bedroom. However even that is going slow. I started a new novel series I borrowed from a friend. Leaving book 4 &5 for my holiday. Need a good beach read.

Did you get the baby blanked done?

11 years ago

Nope, still working on it. LOL The baby is two weeks old now! I should try and get it done over the weekend...

I've been reading a lot too - i started to re-read a series in preparation for the last book to come out, and i'm barely half way through!

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Broke my foot on holidays now nothing will get done till may then it's play outside time. Now that I'm grounded though I really should think about crochet

You aren't reading WOT are you???

11 years ago

Darn right i am! Are you a fan too?

Sorry about the foot, but.... more time for reading?

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah!!! someone else who understands WOT I am waiting for the paperback( hardcover came out in Jan). I was going to start at the beginning again but found my first 3 books missing. I think my son has them. I have looked around to see if a movie or a series would come out and so far found that FOX has the rights but no plans for it yet. I think it would make an awesome series. How did you handle the transition to Brandon. It took me a few chapters but then I got used to him.

Nope not a fan LOL What number are you on right now?

Right now I am reading the Mitford series by Jan Karon. I have a book and a half to finish that one. They are much smaller.

11 years ago

I'm on Crossroads of Twilight now, and almost finished. I was so upset when Jordan died, but i do like the books that Brandon Sanderson did. He doesn't go on so much about hair and clothes and the Aes Sedai aren't always clutching or smoothing their skirts! LOL It's amazing what you can pick up re-reading them. Right now i'm trying to figure out who Mesaana actually is, or who she's masquerading as. There's someone else with a "voice like chimes", but who is it??? I can't remember!

I think there's supposed to be a tv mini series eventually, but i have no clue how they'd do that. There's over 2000 characters in the books! There are also some graphic novels - i got the first one for the school, but they hadn't even reached Baerlon by the end of it, so you can imagine how many books would be needed for the whole series - dozens of them!

I've also read a couple of the Mitford books and liked them. But i like WOT MUCH better!

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Have you read any time travel or time warp books? Recommendations? My friend is bringing me 6 new books today. I'll start on Gathering Storm to read with you. Is this your first time re reading them? I normally only read a book once then move on but this series is so full of stuff you can miss. I am not sure I have ever read anything with such depth of character and story. This is my first adult fantasy set I have read. When the kids were little I read them the seven sleeper series. I was wrong it is Universal that holds the rights not Fox== Have a great day Happy Reading.

11 years ago

Some i've read twice already, and this may be the third time with the earlier ones. It's the first time i'm going through the whole series again, though. As i said, there is so much that you pick up on re-reading them. There are some parts that foreshadow others, and sometimes if you know what's coming, you can read parts a little differently. Another thing is the parallels with some Arthurian legends and with the life of Christ. I keep losing track of the timing, but i think this whole thing is taking place over three years, which is the length of time of Christ's ministry. This time reading, i had a sudden flash of Masema being John the Baptist, in a way. I asked our priest if people thought that John was nuts, and he said some people did, so there's another parallel - but i think Masema is way crazier than John the Baptist ever was. And of course, there's Artur Hawkwing and the fact that his last name was Pendraeg, like Pendragon (have you read a lot of Arthurian books? I would recommended Jack Whyte's "A Dream of Eagles" series).

As for other time travel books, have you read the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon? Really good!

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just picked up Gathering storm yesterday still trying to figure out where I am and who's who as it has been over a year since I read one. I keep wondering about the parallel thinking Rand will have to lay down his life instead of blowing things up this time. But the reincarnation and multiple wives kinda throws things for me. Harry Potter had the same lay down your life thing.(only saw the movies) I get what you mean about Masema and the John the baptist thing but you have to add a bit of Judas in there for going after the rest of the disciples. Never read any of the Arthurian books, I will check out the "Outlander" series a friend works at a used book store so I have great access. Over the years I have mostly read non-fiction with a few fiction thrown in but have been craving something a bit lighter and found a whole new world. I love CS Lewis' space trilogy amazing imagination for the worlds he created. I have never read any of the Lord of the Rings stuff either. Today will be a not read much day as it is girls coffee day wha hoo I get to go out good thing I have spikes on my crutches we got another 8 inches of snow last night. Have a great day :D

Cindy

11 years ago

Somewhere there must be synopses of the books - maybe you could find a site and refresh your memory. I finished Crossroads of Twilight last night and am starting on Knife of Dreams. I have the last four books in hardcover because there was no way i could wait for the paperbacks!

I never thought about Judas, but that's a good parallel as well. And another thing that i thought of re: Rand's death is that Nynaeve is going to figure out how to Heal him. It's been mentioned a few times throughout the books that she wouldn't be happy until she could Heal death, so i think that's what's going to happen.

I just ordered a couple of t-shirts from taverintees.com. :)

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Now i feel stupid I missed knife of dreams I was going to read with you not sure how i goofed the order. I didn't start reading the series until 2007 so only had the last couple to wait for. Maybe i go back a book the I would read a Jordan before a Sanderson.

11 years ago

Knife of Dreams is still Jordan. I'm missing The Shadow Rising in my collection as i lent it to someone and she never returned it. I was able to get it from the high school library just before Christmas.

I can't remember how long ago it was that i started the series - maybe about 10 years ago. I bought the two Eye of the World books for the school library (split into From the Two Rivers and To the Blight for a younger audience) and got hooked then. There were about 4 or 5 kids in Grade 7 and 8 who were reading the series at the time, and we had to wait for Knife of Dreams. I bought it and read it first, and after that i drew names for the kids to see which order they would get it. After they went to high school, they were on their own for the rest, and i worked in a different school for a few years and got three kids there into the series (that's where The Shadow Rising went).

Did you look for a synopsis site? You could catch up that way and then start on Knife of Dreams.

(edited to add the link)

Here is a link that might be useful: Wheel of Time Synopsis

This post was edited by marciaz3 on Fri, Mar 15, 13 at 16:57

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the link started knife of dreams this morning. I know it is a Jordan that's why I said if I back up one book then I could read a Jordan then a Sanderson. I am not sure I will have read enough though this time to pick up on the different nuances from each author but it should give me a good background for the final book. I might just have to succumb to buying it as an e-read. How heavy are the hard covers? I can't imagine reading a series like this in grade 7 & 8 let alone 5 & 6 you must have some brainiacs in your school. It is so nice to find another WOT fan my friends don't get it LOL

11 years ago

The hardcovers are pretty heavy - you don't want one of them to fall on your face while reading in bed! LOL I prop it up on my knees but then the knees get stiff after awhile.

The kids were in Grade 7 and 8 not 5 and 6 - they were good readers and really into fantasy novels. Some of them came back to get the books from my library once they went on to high school, but now the books are in the library there so they don't have to.

It was always fun to talk with them about the books, because, you're right - no one else understands! My sister has read most of them, though, so at least we can talk about them once in awhile.

I'm still on the prologue of KofD - i have the little grandgirl here this weekend so haven't gotten around to reading much. We did start some pink petunias for her, though!

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I guess i should slow down when I read LOL 4or 5 kids in gr 7& 8 not kids in all grades makes me wonder what other stuff I miss. I am glad I backed up a book I understand why Sanderson re read the whole series before he started each new book makes you a fan all over again. I think I will be sad when I finish. Today(once I wake up again) will be a full on read day weekends are slower for me too with hubby home.

11 years ago

I work part time so i don't have a lot of reading time - usually in the evenings, and a few snatched moments during the day, depending on the day.

How far are you now in KofD?

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I will slow down then at the 1/2 way point. I'll read one of the other books I have till you catch up.

11 years ago

I'm getting close to the middle, where Tuon asks (tells!) Mat she wants to go to a common room. Mat, i think, is pretty much my favourite character. He did seem to change after Sanderson got hold of him, though - not necessarily for the worse, but not quite the same Mat that wades right into trouble while always denying that he wants to be a hero. :)

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Not just a common room but a "hell" lol. You must read faster than me I read all day to get that far. Little MR Playboy is getting tamed. No reading today I have a friend from out of town coming for a visit. So was it Sanderson who tamed Mat or Tuon.

11 years ago

I read somewhere that Tuon was the reason that Sanderson tamed Mat down a bit - he said that since Mat was a married man, he had to be more responsible and mature (wondering where he got that idea about married men.... Hmmmm....). To me, Mat has always actually been a responsible kind of guy, no matter what Nynaeve and Egwene think or how they treat him. He carries out his duties dependably and keeps his word. I think they at least give him that. I often think of how they treated him when he showed up in Salidar - i think that in that situation if someone from my hometown showed up, i would have been really happy to see him, but of course, he's glared at right away. I feel sorry for him!

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I finished KoD definitely seeing things I missed the first time. Pillow Friends for one. I so didn't get what that was the first time through. I think the communication issue with Mat and Tuon is so funny talk about culture clash. I also realize I had forgotten so much. Glad to read it again in prep for the final. I 'm sure it will make way more sense. I read KoD over 2 years ago and my memory is not what it was.

11 years ago

You've finished? Rats - i'm still just outside of the "hell"! I had to work today (not my usual day but i subbed for someone else), so didn't get any reading done. Should i suspend all other activity for the weekend? LOL

That's one thing that gets me about those books - everyone is tolerant of other races and colours, but not the cultures. It's weird. They all assume that what they do is right and everyone should follow it too.

You know, the first time i read KofD, i checked a forum about WoT because i felt kind of disappointed about the book. Everyone was talking about how wonderful it was and different things that i seemed to have missed. So i re-read it right away, and it was better the second time!

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think I was more disappointed in a couple of the early middle books they seemed to slow to a crawl can't remember which ones off hand. I will play this while I wait but do hurry I may just go crazy LOL JK

Here is a link that might be useful: While I wait LOL

11 years ago

Okay, no crocheting tonight - i'll get the book!

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So today I read Blessed Child - Ted Dekker
    tomorrow will be book 2 - A man called Blessed

11 years ago

Still reading.... I'm at where Perrin is having the aquaduct outside Malden spiked with forkroot. I was painting doors this weekend, and it interfered with my reading! LOL

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Is it Storm time yet?

11 years ago

Almost - i should finish tonight!

11 years ago

I did finish! And read a couple of pages of Gathering Storm this morning. :)

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

On with the show this is it......................Yeah!!!!

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I haven't even gotten a chance to pick it up yet. But I am off the crutches now to learn to walk again I am still at the hobble hobble limp stage. Maybe after the weekend I will get a chance to read Easter is always so busy.

Happy Easter :D

11 years ago

I might get ahead of you, but i'm sure you'll catch up!

Hoping to get the kids tomorrow for egg-dying, and then we're going to their house for dinner on Sunday, but i'm sure i'll have time to read.

You have a good one too!

11 years ago

How's it going? I'm more than halfway through GS now, and might finish by the weekend, or maybe earlier.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rand just banished Cadsuane................... I might just have to order the hard cover for the final book I don't think I will have the will power to wait till fall and reading it from the computer just seems wrong. I better get it soon so it will be waiting and ready to go when we get there.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The Storm is over I shall wait for your lead before entering the Tower.

11 years ago

Gee, i even brought the book to work today because i was eating at school. I'm still at the spot where Rand just balefired Graendal. If i remember right, i think she escaped, though.

The little grandgirl has skaiting this evening, but after that, i'll read like crazy! And i'm off tomorrow, so i think i'll try to read most of the day!

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hope you enjoyed the skating I used to love making costumes for my daughter when she skated. I am going to town this weekend to find my memories and pick up some tin foil just in case. Once we get through the tower I will pick up my memories and run. That is providing I don't do too many transplants in between.

11 years ago

I'll be finished tonight and will start ToM either tonight if i can stay awake or tomorrow morning.

No chance of me doing much in the way of transplanting. Everything is pretty small yet. I thought you meant that your friend had a personal greenhouse but it sounds like a nursery, eh? Lucky!

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

She did have a small one last year but she ventured out this year I am just helping out I am hoping she will break even this year and be able to quit her other jobs next year. She works so hard.

I will enter the Tower in the morning.

11 years ago

I'm still in the prologue. I knew Graendal had escaped, but i didn't remember how. He got rid of Aran'gar, though, without realizing it.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hubby just called as he was collecting Memories for me and I don't have to buy it my son's friend is going to lend it to me that way I can wait and purchase the paperback when it comes out YIPPEE!!!!

Nynaeve just agreed to call Egwene Mother.

11 years ago

Shhh, not that far yet!

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

okay so I won't tell you where I am at now either.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A Memory just came to me...............................I must grab a copy of the silver foxhead to stop me from.........................Please hurry the Last Battle is near.

11 years ago

I'm hurrying as fast as i can! Not quite half way through - Nynaeve has just gotten Lan's bond from Myrelle.

As i read, i'm finding that there are parts of it that i barely remember, almost as if i hadn't read it. Weird. And other parts i remember well. And i've been going to the computer more and more for theories and speculations - names on the Black Ajah list, where the darkfriends are, is Verin Black Ajah? We now know she is, but in the thread i read, everyone said she couldn't be! This was from a few years ago, though.

Anyway, enough posting and more reading!

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

There are so many things I didn't remember I am so glad I guessed at what you were reading and joined you before I read the last book. I am glad I have the whole series I was thinking about selling it when I was done but since the re read I think once I get the first 3 books back from my son I might just read it again they might just become my vacation staples.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor