Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sierra_z2b

Holiday projects

sierra_z2b
18 years ago

Anyone doing any Christmas or Holiday projects? Making any decorations or items for gifts?

For the last few years...I have been adding to my Christmas village.....these are whiteware pieces that have to be painted.......Last year I didn't get the last 2 and 1/2 finished in time.....but this year...I think I can get the pieces done that I am adding....maybe even before the crunch...LOL!

Sierra

Comments (18)

• CrazyDaisy_68
    18 years ago

Yes, I will be!

My plans for this year include making ornaments for the tree, not sure exactly what yet, but we bought a bigger tree on Saturday and definately needs more ornaments then what we have. And now that my kids are getting a little older we can replace all the ones they broke over the years! LOL

Also on my "Crafts to do List" is making a gingerbread house. It will be fun to do that during the Christmas Holidays.

I've started to make gifts too. My niece just had a little boy last Tuesday so I was planning to make a little teddy bear out of old jeans. Also I'll knit him some little booties -- nice a thick ones for the winter. And maybe a baby quilt or a bunting bag, depending on how much time I actually have! LOL

Ang

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    18 years ago

Ang, you mentioned crocheting purses for your daughters. Did you ever try those headscarves that were all the rage for awhile? I made a bunch of them but the fashion didn't last very long. Too bad - they were cute, and fun to make, besides!

• sierra_z2b
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oooohhh a gingerbred house sounds like fun.

9 little houses left and counting...lol..or is that painting. haha Then I have to find some little people to add to the village.....I couldn't find ones to paint last year....only ones that were done. Does anyone know where I can find some to paint?

Sierra

• SeaOtterCove
    18 years ago

Sierra, wouldn't Wal-Mart or a similar store have the paintable figurines? Or isn't their a half decent craft store near you? I checked out Micheals' which does have an online store but I didn't see anything. I hope you find some little people to complete your village.

Right now I've been working on a rag quilt that is for my Mom for Christmas. (I'll post a picture when I'm done. :)) (Ang, you would like this quilt if you are thinking of a baby quilt. One day and you would be done.)

Then I was going to make a quilted pillow for my sister that she wants. I've never done appliqué before so it should be interesting. Plus I was thinking for a few close friends I would make fabric bowls for them. They are really neat, you use the same stuff that goes in baseball cap brims to make them stiff and they are reversible. To make one it takes about an hour and a half.

Plus one friend owns one of my dogs half sisters and the dogs exchange home made gifts for each other. What can I say, neither of us has kids! LOL So, for that I'm trying to think up what I could make. I'm thinking a cool stocking or a reflective vest for walking at night. Do any of you guys have any ideas? The dog is a German Shorthaired Pointer and she weighs about 75 pounds.

Another alternative to a gingerbread house is a sugar cube house. You use icing to hold everything together and they make great castles. Plus when you put a tea light inside they glow really pretty. I don't think you would want to eat it though, major sugar high!

Syreeta

• GardenChicken
    18 years ago

Village People!!? Haahaaahaaa... I just had a vision! errr... sorry, that's people for your village - two different things. ;)

I'm hoping to get some felted clogs (slippers) knit for my mom & my sister, and maybe a pair for myself. They work up quick and are fun to make.

Also thinking about Christmas ornaments. Does anyone remember seeing a site that had really expensive glass ornaments in the shape of orchids & other exotic flowers?

~GC

• sierra_z2b
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Syreeta,

No Wal-mart doesn't have them....thats where I get the village pieces. Ohhhhhh Michael's online....my DH might not forgive you for telling me that. LOL!

I'm NOT suggesting this but I was in a store yesterday that had a Christmas dog collar and a little collar for each foot.....they were red and green with really big bells on them. Would drive any dog insane. LOL....and maybe their owners too.....but at least you would know where they are in the house. LOL.

Glowing sugar...interesting concept....what about a chocolate house.....MMMMMM....

GC,

Hahaha......no village people please.....just people for my village!

This reminds me of a show we saw at the local fall fair.....some really bad singers were singing YMCA and they pulled 4 men from the audiance to play the parts.....it was BAD!!! but really hilarious!

Ohhh the glass ornaments sound interesting....I like the clear kind of see though glass ornaments.

Sierra

• CrazyDaisy_68
    18 years ago

Marcia, I DID start one of those headscraves! I found my 1/2 finished project back the other day. Too funny how you can be all excited about a project, get half way and for whatever reason don't finish. Then when you find it back you go "Oh yeah, I remember starting this!" but the enthusiasm just never comes back! LOL

Having a good chuckle here about the village people / people for your village!

Syreeta, I'm definately interested to see the quilt your working on! One day? OH YEAH, you captured my interest!! LOL

I LOVE the sugar cube idea too. That would be fun to try. I have 3 girls that all love to do crafts and stay busy during the Holidays..... I can well imagine we will be doing more then one craft this year!

Ang

• GardenChicken
    18 years ago

You want a sugarcube castle?? THIS is a sugarcube castle.

Mr. Sawatsky built this on request of Brian Minter (yup, Minter Gardens in Rosedale, BC) for their Christmas display one year. You can see Dan standing behind it. Apparently he used 64,278 cubes to make this masterpiece. Amazing... but that's Dan for ya! (He & his crew are also largely responsible for the amazing work at the West Edmonton Mall.)

Better put a couple more boxes on the grocery list! LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: That Dan & his sugarcubes....

18 years ago

Ang, i made quite a few of those scarves for my nieces and grandnieces, and some for bazaars at school. Helped use up some of my odder-coloured crochet cotton! LOL

• sierra_z2b
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well I guess I have another Christmas project on the go. I now have to make picture frames for 4 large prints. Eeeekkkss, I've never made picture frames before...I hope they turn out okay.

Sierra....hmmmmmm

• tabardca
    18 years ago

GardenChicken, if you come back to this thread, where do you get the pattern for those felted clogs? And, what type of wool do you use, I think you need a particular kind? I just love those felted clogs, my mom is a knitter so I could get her to knit them and I could then felt them. Thank you.

• GardenChicken
    18 years ago

tabardca, here is a picture of my half felted feet... I guess they aren't exactly clogs, but the same idea.
    The pattern is from Knitty (thank you Knitty!) - cool stuff there!

I used 'Galway Irish Worsted Knitting Wool' for mine, but (obviously) any non-superwash wool should work.

{{gwi:694655}}

I did make a pair of Fiber Trends Clogs a couple years back but I like my Fuzzy Feet more.

Fiber Trends

Here is a link that might be useful: Fuzzy Feet

• tabardca
    18 years ago

Thank you so much for the links GardenChicken. Your fuzzy feet are so adorable! I love those too.

• sierra_z2b
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hmmmm....well the frames are finished....and not to soon either. LOL. Oh ya and they turned out pretty good...

I was talking to a couple of friends and they also decided to make their own frames the same way. LOL. Its kind of fun.

Happy holidays!
    Sierra

P. S. Maybe my Christmas village will get done after Christmas...LOL.

• SeaOtterCove
    18 years ago

Well, here is a picture of the lap quilt I made for my Mom. It is the one I was telling everyone about that takes about a day to make. The next time I make one of these I think I would make it a little bigger. It is made out of flannel and doesn't need batting as the two layers are warm enough.

{{gwi:694656}}

I will post pictures later of the fabric bowls I'm making. I forgot to take pictures of the first two I made before I mailed them off.

Syreeta

• GardenChicken
    18 years ago

Love the choice of fabric Syreeta! It just exudes warmth! Your mom will love it I'm sure. How did you finish (err.... not finish?) the edges?

• SeaOtterCove
    18 years ago

All the rough edges are turned up one way when you sew the squares together. Then for fun (good job to do while watching tv) you cut all the edges at 1/4" intervals. Then you throw it in the washing machine to become "raggy". Nice and simple and it would make a great baby quilt.

Here are two bowls that I said I would show you as well. These are nice and simple too and take about a hour and a half to make. They are reversible so you can have what ever look you want. One for each of my Hubbys' grandmothers.

{{gwi:694657}}

{{gwi:694659}}

Now to go make the log cabin Christmas pillow for my sister. Almost there!

Syreeta

18 years ago

Here are a few things i've been working on:

{{gwi:694660}}

{{gwi:694662}}

{{gwi:694664}}

{{gwi:694668}}

I have another set of bells to put together and one or two more balls to decorate, but that's about it. Lots of time... LOL

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH