Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luv2gro

Do you Remember?????

luv2gro
18 years ago

This might be fun to pass some of our winter boredom. How about a thread on things (items) we remember from when we were younger. (Notice my diplomacy in using the term "younger"?) This doesn't have to be about the 60s/70s. Any era is game.

This came from the bit of discussion from Sierra's "whirlygig" pictures and the paintings we used to do at the fair when we were younger.

How about something like:

Do you remember the nickel diggers at the fair? I actually got a cellophane wrapped bundle of nickels out of one once. I chuckle everytime I see one of those vending machines now with the stuffed animals in them. Those had to be developed by someone who grew up in the sixties.

Do you remember Tutti®? She was the little sister of Barbie® and Skipper®. Also, Ricky®, who was Ken®'s younger brother and a sidekick for Skipper® and Scooter®. How I wish my parents hadn't given all of my Barbie® stuff to my nieces to play with when they were 3 and 4. It all got wrecked.

Do you remember chocolate covered animal crackers? For that matter, just the plain animal crackers?

Shauna

Comments (70)

• luv2gro
    Original Author
    18 years ago

OK, I'm talkin' when I was REALLY young - LOL . Does anyone remember the TV show Razzle Dazzle. I'm told it had the Hudson Brothers on it but all I remember was the turtle - Howard the Turtle. And H. R. Pufnstuf. And Topo Gigo - "Kiss me goodnight, Eddie". And, a bit later, Donny Osmond. And Keith Partridge. And my favorite - Erik Estrada in Chips.

I remember playing caps. In my group of friends, it seemed like the guys always were better at it than the girls. Or was it just that they tried harder so that we would get drunk faster?

How about those button up cords that were two colors - mine were purple and gold. Yeah! And crochet vests. How about Maxi coats that went down to the ground? I wasn't ALLOWED to have one of those. And we CAN'T forget our favorite summerwear - the ever popular BoobTube. Fashionably coordinated, of course, with the shortest cutoffs that our mothers would let us be seen in. I had one friend in junior high that used to bring her jeans to school and change. Her mother thought she wore a dress to school every day. Well, TECHNICALLY, she did.

Gee, if our kids read this thread, they are going to think that we were (are) totally nuts.

Shauna

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    18 years ago

Razzle Dazzle! Michelle Finney was on that, wasn't she? And then some later show... Can't remember. We corresponded for several years.

Mini-skirts, fishnet stockings (with garters!) and go-go boots! Anyone top that? LOL

• alalbertaz2b
    18 years ago

Do any of you remember the Smurfs? When our kids were small they were on saturday mornings and we all would watch it, kids and adults. Then after a couple of years they disappeared into T.V. lala land. We tried a few years ago to find some old shows for our grandchildren but found nothing.

Other T.V. shows I used to like were 'The Man from U.N.C.L.E.', 'The Avengers', 'The Saint','Get Smart', 'No Time For Sergeants','Gomer Pyle'.

Bell bottom pants
    paisleys (I think that is how it's spelled LOL)

T.V. with only two channels

I grew up in a rural community and we never used to lock the house or the car.

I think life was simpler and easier then, although our kids will probably say the same thing when they get older.

Cheers Al

• Pudge 2b
    18 years ago

Hunnerbun, refresh my memory on playing 'elastics'. I remember something every so vaguely - it's like a word that's on the tip of your tongue but not quite there. Something about jumping, twisting???

Get Smart and Gomer Pyle, yes. And the Tommy Hunter Show and Don Messer's Jubilee (dad ruled over the TV - there's another difference about then and now). And Hee Haw (that was a show, right?) I also grew up on a farm and (just to top Al) we had one channel, (two on a real bright clear day if the wind was blowing in the right direction) and the door to our house didn't have a lock. Many times we'd come home and there'd be a note on the kitchen table left by whoever stopped by to visit. And we never even took the keys out of the car, much less lock it.

• Crazy_Gardener
    18 years ago

Oh yes, I remember my sister and I when we were lit' girls we used to HAVE to tap dance for mom and granny while Don Messer was on and we HAD to wear those fluffy ruffle skirts too. LOL

Mini-skirts, fishnet stockings (with garters!) and go-go boots! Anyone top that? In today's age they call these people skanks ! LOL

Sharon

18 years ago

Skanks! OMG - was i ever NOT a skank! LOL Let's just say i was socially immature...

How about Hockey Night in Canada with the Original Six? We all watched the game on Saturday nights, and it always involved a huge bowl of popcorn! We knew all the players and what teams they played for, and we cheered for the best team of all - the one we've stuck to through thick and thin. Can you guess?

• Crazy_Gardener
    18 years ago

I was never much of a TV Hockey fan, my parents and granny sure where thou, mom would always scream with excitment when there was a goal, scared the heck out of me!!! Yeah, but I did play hockey on a girls team when I was in my teens. Boys skates and the whole shabag, we were called the Westview Bears, I even won top score one year too. Our team kind of dispersed as the years went by, everyone was getting pregnant! LOL, not me though ;)

Let me guess...The Canadians, eh????

I do remember Eddy Shack ;)

Sharon

• northspruce
    18 years ago

Syreeta, I think I must be EXACTLY the same age as you... a little younger than everyone else perhaps... I do remember a lot of the things you mention but most of it was old news when I was very young.

Al I happen to know what became of the Smurfs - religious pressure groups decided they were "black magic" at best and "Satanic" at worst. The show just evaporated after that. Not trying to start a religious conversation I assure you. I don't even know exactly what it was about the show that was objectionable. Anyway it was on for years & years afterwords... in French. That always struck me as odd.

18 years ago

"Let me guess...The Canadians, eh????"

Sharon! Smack yourself silly! They were the hated enemy! ;)

My mother used to live in Montreal and used to go to all the games, especially when the Leafs (the RIGHT team!) were playing. She was from Ontario but spoke French, and some woman at a game hit her over the head with a purse for cheering for Toronto in French!

• Crazy_Gardener
    18 years ago

Smack, smack, smack! LOL, I told you I'm not a TV Hockey fan ;)

• SeaOtterCove
    18 years ago

Northspruce,

I'm turning 29 the end of January. For part of my childhood I lived in a really small remote village (100 people max.) so many fads never made it to where I lived. I really had to rack my brain to think of what was cool growing up.

In the fishing village I lived in we had generators for power which only got turned on in the evening or when Mom had to do laundry, kerosene lanterns for when the generator wouldn't work, kerosene fridge, propane stove, wood heat and a real boardwalk to get from house to house. No horses though.. :) Oh, and the only tv channel was CBC north. At least we couldn't fight about not being able to watch a certain show. I do remember watching the weather on tv and and seeing "far away places" like Whitehorse or Yellowknife where the temperature would be -45 and not being able to imagine how cold that would be. Never mind actually living somewhere where it would get that cold. Little did I know that I would get to experience -45 over and over and over....

Syreeta

• ian_bc_north
    18 years ago

I remember turn signals on cars, which flipped out of the door-posts.
    I remember Silly Putty as a toy fad.
    I remember Annette Funicello on the Mouseketeers.
    I remember the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show, and that wasnÂt the reruns.
    I remember Expo 67.

Marcia  that first year of university, was it 71/72 at Lakehead U.?
    BTW that was where and when Bachman Turner Overdrive got their act together.
    Also on the mini-skirts, where I was, that was followed by elephant pants and really pale makeup.
    That was a big disappointment for the fellows.

Ian

• northspruce
    18 years ago

Syreeta, I am 27 so that is pretty close. I don't have kids so I don't pay attention to the current toys, but have you noticed all the "new" toys are our OLD toys??? I've been seeing Strawberry Shortcakes and My little Ponies and Transformers and Cabbage Patch Kids again! My mom was a real grinch, she didn't want to line up and fist fight with all the other moms for the last cabbage patch at Christmas, so she told me they were made out of old ladies' used stockings so I wouldn't want one. Clever woman she was. She also told me I was too old for Disneyland when I was SIX. So I didn't ask to go... and when some of my friends got to go I just thought, poor things their parents are taking them to some baby place...

Well anyway eventually cabbage patch kids must have gone on sale because I got one years later.

• SeaOtterCove
    18 years ago

Northspruce,

At least you got a cabbage patch doll! I didn't realize it at the time but my Mom gave me something better. A homemade cabbage patch doll, she made my sister (4 yrs. younger) and I one each. They had moveable arms, legs, wool hair, embroidered faces and they could fit real newborn clothing. Now it is one of my most treasured toys from childhood, (even missing hair from when puppy thought it was one of her squeaky toys.)

I know what you mean about all of our old toys coming back. I think I still might have a My Little Pony kicking around somewhere. I wonder how much it would be worth? I've seen the Glowworms in the stores as well. I remember my sister having one as a kid. She tore out the centre part which is essentially a flashlight and used it to read under the covers at night. I just said I was scared of the dark and needed a nightlight. Then I read by that, it worked wonderful.:)

Syreeta

18 years ago

Ian! You were there????

• Pudge 2b
    18 years ago

Ah, the plot thickens.

Marcia, you'd better go and check your poster of unforgettable events and see if any are signed by an Ian, LOL.

• ian_bc_north
    18 years ago

Yes Marcia I was there!
    I guarded the back door at the BTO dances.
    I also worked for the landscaper the summer of 72.
    I went through the area years later and the landscaping, not to mention the university generally, was sadly neglected.
    Ian

18 years ago

What year were you then, Ian? You were in Forestry, i presume? BTO - refresh my memory, please! The only thing that comes to mind is Bachman-Turner Overdrive, and i know they weren't there! LOL

I've mentioned here before that i used to pilfer roses from the gardens below the cafeteria (i lived in Res the summer of '73). The landscaping did go way downhill in later years. I haven't been back there in a long time now, but it sure was a great place to go to school!

• ian_bc_north
    18 years ago

Hello Marcia,
    I was at Lakehead the winter of 71/72. I took biology along with geology. It was a great school for geology BTW.
    Bachman-Turner Overdrive did come to Lakehead that year, one weekend before they became well known. I canÂt remember if they were still going under the name of Brave Belt at the time.
    When we made the suggestion that we bring them back, we were told that there was no way that we could afford them.

When you were there did you see the tubing down the MacIntire(sp?) in the spring? The only time there was enough water to do that was at spring runoff. The water was barely above freezing!

When it got cold in the winter a lot of guys would go through the womenÂs residence. The women were less than pleased about that.

Ian

18 years ago

I took first year biology because we had to have one science. Hmmm - can't remember the prof's name, but he stood down at the front of the lecture theatre (NOT the Snake Pit! LOL) and droned on and on. It was basically a recap of Grade 13 biology and everyone i know pulled an 80 or higher on it.

Brave Belt! That was it! I probably was at that dance but i never tried to sneak in the back door! There's nothing about Brave Belt in my "Remember", though.

I didn't see the tubing that year, but i remember it, and there's something about it in the next year. I remember skiing down the McIntyre (cross-country) and into George Burke Park.

I don't remember caring so much about the guys going through Women's Res, except for the Streakers - you weren't one of them, were you?? What house did you live in? I was in A for awhile, then the second floor of Women's Res. Did you ever go to the Coffee House?

Great to reminisce with you, Ian!

• hunnerbun
    18 years ago

"Hunnerbun, refresh my memory on playing 'elastics'. I remember something every so vaguely - it's like a word that's on the tip of your tongue but not quite there. Something about jumping, twisting???"

Yeah Pudge, you hooked the elastics all together and then one person on each end hooked the string of elastics between them, you started at the ankles then gradually moved them higher and higher and had to jump over them. I hope that describes it enough so you can get an idea of it...its hard to write it out so it isn't too confusing!

• ian_bc_north
    18 years ago

Nope never a streaker! I went as a "mature" student and didnÂt get into that stuff.
    My memory isnÂt up to the task of recalling which residence I was in. I am guessing second floor of B or C, however I would have to go back and see if I could jog my memory.
    I donÂt have memories of the Coffee House, which doesnÂt mean that I didnÂt go.
    I did occasionally go to the Finn Hall in town just for a change.
    Some things stick in my head and there are some things that are probably best forgotten.
    Ian

18 years ago

B House - hmmm, i knew a couple of people there. It was right next to A House, facing Women's Res. Wasn't it famous for its "Purple Jesus" parties?? C House was on the other side, across from the entrance doors. I mostly knew people in D House - Foresters! :) Hey, it's where my love of plants started!

The Coffee House was down in the area of the Mail Room (Mr. Siemans, remember? Great old guy!) - instead of turning left to the Mail Room, you turned right, and the Coffee House was in the basement.

Now the houses all have different names. Women's Res is "The Prettie Residence". The houses are named after towns in the area. I would guess that A House is now Atikokan House, B is Beardmore, C is Caramat - something like that. And across from the houses, between them and Avila Centre, there are all townhouse residences.

You should email me if you remember any names of people and we can compare notes. It was just like a neighbourhood back then, where you knew just about everyone.

• Crazy_Gardener
    18 years ago

In the spirit of Christmas, does anyone remember the old Christmas decorations, I still have some wrapped in tissue and tucked away in boxes for safekeeping, I donÂt want them to break since they are indeed antique now.

Glass ornaments such as
    Tree cones
    Reflector Balls
    Icicles
    Hanging tree lights with the paint peeling off, LOL

Also did any of you ever see Santa at the Hudson Bay store, he always gave out those ceramic bells with a red bow on the top. Remember those?

Oh yes, did you have make garland out of Nutty Pink Popcorn as a kid?

Sharon

18 years ago

We had some lights on our tree and the bulbs were figurines - trees, houses, children, etc. We also had a lot of those blown-glass ornaments. We also had some wreath shapes to hang in the window - they were made out of some kind of material that glowed in the dark. They were white, but at night, they glowed. I loved them, but my mother doesn't know where they ended up.

• luv2gro
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Gradually, I'm sorry to say, most of my mother's and grandmothers' ornaments that I got have broken. But, I've still got a couple of the glass tree acorns and a "snoball" light. I've also got quite a few of the straw ornaments made by a Swedish lady, sort of like a grandmother to us, when we were growing up. Little elves, wreaths and stars. I've got a large straw angel, too, but I never put it up because it is getting too dry and will crumble. Many of you of Scandinavian descent will know these ornaments. I'm of Scottish heritage and my husband is Romanian. But these ornaments still mean alot to me.

Does anyone still do the traditional trees of their heritage?

Shauna

• leftwood
    18 years ago

I still have some Christmas light bulbs where the glass is painted and shaped into different objects: street lanterns, Christmas ornaments . . . and something I've never been able to figure out. And lead (well it seems like lead) icicles.

I still have occasions to use my Spirograph.

• Crazy_Gardener
    18 years ago

I remember the Spirograph, that was so cool back then.

How about Silly String? Was that what they called that stuff that came out of a can?

• CrazyDaisy_68
    18 years ago

My daughter has a spirograph set that we bought for her about 2 years ago... ofcourse I HAD to explain that I LOVED that when I was her age "back when".

Speaking of feather earrings (yup I had those too!) weren't they in style around the same time as "bat wing sweaters" and "Cowl neck" sweaters (sp?).

I remember braiding a bit of my hair with ribbons -- just a small braid at the front.

And speaking of heritage Christmas traditions, yes we do at our house too. Both DH and I have Dutch background so we celebrate Sinter Zlaas on December 5 with the taai-taai and pepernooten (basically both of those are spicey cookies) and leaving the shoes by the door the evening before. If you had been good all year you would get candy in your shoe but if you had been bad you got a lump of coal. Yes, we all got candy this year! LOL

18 years ago

I still have our old spirograph from when we were kids. What would they use for pens now? Ours were the clickable type with a long "nib". Pens nowadays wouldn't fit into the holes.

My husband's family (Russian origin) used to celebrate St. Nicholas Day as well. One year dh and his brother both got coal in their shoes! Bad boys!

• Crazy_Gardener
    18 years ago

Ok Ang, what is a Cowl neck sweather, like a turtle neck to hide those hickies ;)

• Crazy_Gardener
    18 years ago

Get this, I was just telling hubby if he remembered the Spirograph, he said, yes that he still has his "Deluxe" downstairs somewhere in one of the boxes. No way, I said, I told him to go dig it out that I wanted to play with it, hmmm, but this might take a few weeks to find folks!
    He also said he still has his ol' Barbie with the pink Corvett! LOL, just kidding with that one ;)

• Pudge 2b
    18 years ago

Wonders of the internet - spirograph on line. Move the thingies on the side to change the look

Here is a link that might be useful: spirograph on line

• alalbertaz2b
    18 years ago

Hi all
    I found this on another forum that I participate in. It fits well with the theme of this thread.

Cheers Al

This is a test for us, old kids!

The answers are printed below, but don't you cheat.

READY????? Here we go!

1. After the Lone Ranger saved the day and rode off into the sunset, the grateful citizens would ask, Who was that masked man? Invariably, someone would answer, I don't know, but he left this behind. What did he leave behind?____________

2. When the Beatles first came to the U.S. in early 1964, we all
      watched them on The __________________ Show.

3. "Get your kicks, ___________________."

4. "The story you are about to see is true. The names have been
      changed______________! _____."

5. "In the jungle, the mighty jungle, ________________."

6. After the Twist, The Mashed Potato, and the Watusi, we "danced" under a stick that was lowered as low as we could go in a dance called the "_____________."

7. "N_E_S_T_L_E_S," Nestle's makes the very best _______________."

8. Satchmo was America's "Ambassador of Goodwill." Our parents shared this great jazz trumpet player with us. His name was _________________.

9. What takes a licking and keeps on ticking? _______________

10. Red Skelton's hobo character was named __________________ and Red always ended his television show by saying, "Good Night, and "_______________."

11. Some Americans who protested the Vietnam War did so by burning their____________.

12. The cute little car with the engine in the back and the trunk in
      the front was called the VW. What other! names did it go by? ____________ & _______________.

13. In 1971, singer Don MacLean sang a song about, "the day the music died." This was a tribute to ___________________.

14. We can remember the first satellite placed into orbit. The
      Russians did it. It was called ___________________.

15. One of the big fads of the late 50's and 60's was a large plastic
      ring that we twirled around our waist. It was called the ________________

Scroll Down

ANSWERS:

1. The Lone Ranger left behind a silver bullet.
    2. The Ed Sullivan Show
    3. On Route 66
    4. To protect the innocent.
    5. The Lion sleeps tonight
    6. The limbo
    7. Chocolate
    8. Louis Armstrong
    9. The Timex watch
    10. Freddy, The Freeloader, and "Good Night, and may God Bless."
    11. Draft cards (Bras were also burned.)
    12. Beetle or Bug
    13. Buddy Holly
    14. Sputnik
    15. Hoola-hoop

Send this to your "old" friends. It will drive them crazy! And, keep them busy and let them forget their aches and pains for a few minutes!

18 years ago

12 1/2 - not bad! :)

• CrazyDaisy_68
    18 years ago

7 --- not bad considering I was born in 1968! LOL

Sharon, Cowl neck sweaters where basically turtle necks that were bigger and looser .... and would NOT cover those hickies very well! LOL

Marcia, we've been using the Gelly Roll pens with the sphirograph. You can buy them at craft stores and I've sometimes seen them at our local "Superstore" with the kids crafting sets, at least in that general area.

• sierra_z2b
    18 years ago

I only got 5 on that quiz.....hee hee.

If you can use the regular gel pens for spirographs....Costco sells them in a large container..not sure how many in the container but a lot of em.

Sierra

• leftwood
    18 years ago

Who remembers the computers that required teletype machines to communicate? Back when I was in high school, and we had a graphics program (used real pen and paper) that had more parameters than spirograph. I "drew" this in 1976 (and yes, that is the paper yellowing):

{{gwi:694730}}

I admit it, I am partial to geometrics. Even some of my garden beds are straight sided (but no right angles though).
    Rick

18 years ago

The first computers i remember took up a whole room at university. I think it was one computer, not sure. The people who used them had those, what were they called, some kind of data card with holes punched out. I hated computers back then. What a joke! LOL

• SeaOtterCove
    18 years ago

Marcia,

That is when my Dad taught computer science at college. He tells me stories about what it was like to use one of those huge computers. I do remember him mentioning that those computers used glass tubes someway to run. I can't remember what he called those cards either.

Syreeta

• GardenChicken
    18 years ago

ummmm.... punch cards?

18 years ago

Could be. I remember people having reams of printed-out gibberish at the time too and i couldn't imagine ever having to understand that. Besides, there was no way i'd ever use a computer!

• leftwood
    18 years ago

And you might as well forget it if you dropped that ream of gibberish, 'cause they had to be fed to the computer in correct order. I took a fortran class in college (was that ever a waste). Learned more usable information learning basic in high school. And then never had a pc until 3 years ago.

• Pudge 2b
    18 years ago

A couple of jobs I had required me to use one of those teletype machines, Telex. You had to run a tape first, then feed the tape thru a slot to send the information. There was nothing easy about it and I dreaded having to send a Telex message.

Another job I had was as a WP operator for the military, and we used these gigantic Wang machines. The storage discs were 7" floppies, and not a whole lot of data fit onto those discs. There was this really complex filing system of the discs, which had to be kept in a secure room so they were never given back or returned with the document (which would have been a whole lot easier).

But then, I still very much remember typing correspondence and reports, etc. with realms of carbon paper and bottles and bottles of white-out. My first job was at Sask Wheat Pool head office in Regina in the typing pool - just a room full of girls working on IBM Selectric typewriters, and we would get farmed out to other departments from time to time. One department I subbed in had a mean old secretary who was particularly fussy and hated even the slightest error and would send back the work to re-do completely if there was an error. I lasted there 3 days, (probably never did finish that one darned letter), and moved back to the typing pool where life was easier and we read True Story magazines when work was scarce.

• CrazyDaisy_68
    18 years ago

I do remember using a Telex machine at my very first job! I had to type up purchase orders for a large equipment-parts company and often had to put rush orders through the Telex machine.

My next job was at law firm and they had the "lastest and greatest" at the time. Phew! LOL! I was thrilled to be able to just press "backspace" and correct errors as if they had never happened!

• maggiemuffin360
    18 years ago

Nostalgic trip down memory lane as the year draws to a close. How apropos is that?
    What a fun thread.
    I remember...
    Hot pants - a wardrobe staple in high school!
    Flared jeans with coloured wedges inset on the sides.
    Rolling up my knee length skirt so that by the time I got to school it was a micro-mini.
    I must say that it most unsettling to visit one of the local museums - Founders Museum in Thunder Bay - and be familiar with any number of the items on display. Familiar because I actually used those items! Yikes.
    Note to self - don't go there on a milestone birthday. Ego can't cope with that.
    Happy New Year.
    Margaret

• ingami
    18 years ago

Too much fun you guys! I've been away far too long working and having sick kids and being out of the groove myself.

Wow- I remember so many of things you all do.

I also remember Razzle Dazzle, kind of vague, but I remember it. And then there was Bonanza, Perry Mason. I distictly remember those because my Dad was a huge fan of those and nothing, I mean nothing could get him to change channels. And yes, we too, only had two channels. In Alberta, do you remember Sunwapta Broadcasting Corp. ? - CFRN now

I remember the old waiting room in emerg at the U of A Hosp in Edmonton in the 70's, everyone smoking up a storm.
    **Much easier to park in those days too!

I remember the 25 cents for draft beer, oh, criminy, I couldn't drink it now! But sure liked it then. You could go out for the night on a buck! At one place at least you would get I think 5 or 6 for $1.00 if you ordered in quantity and natch my roomie and I did. We were always broke.

I remember the band Heart playing at a local watering hole known for their bands, and later one of the band members coming on to me ( a male! ) as my cousin and I walked home.
    I guess they must have followed us. This was before they hit the "big time" and arenas etc.

Oh, for palazzo pants, and shortie tops to go with them. and when I was really, really little, Mom used to talk to me about something called skorts.
    If you did your own sewing, and I did, Fortrel was just the thing, but it was too expensive for me, geez louise, what a shame.

8 tracks? I never did have one, went straight from "records" to cassettes, but I think my DH is stuck in the 70's, he would still love to have a good 8 track. reminds him of the good old days I guess.

Ponchos? I loved them. Made one in home-ec and it was the coolest! I actually kind of still like them but never have had one since. There must be a "cape" style lover in me.

I think my roomate ( cousin ) and I made "Paranoid" by Ozzy?
    or was it B. Sabbath, what I memory I don't have about that, it's Ozzy isn't it? anyway we made it our theme song. We drove our landlords crazy with it.
    Smoke on the Water, too.

I also wrote to Burton Cummings just before they got big and actually got an answer. Well yes, it's in my scrapbook...

I must think of more, and read some more of these posts!
    Faith

18 years ago

Skorts!!! OMG, Faith - we had those!

• luv2gro
    Original Author
    18 years ago

How funny, Faith. I'd forgotten about the waiting room at the U0fA, also the old emerg. at the Royal Alex. And we complain now.

Most of us in the Edmonton region (Sunwapta Broadcasting area) will remember Popcorn Playhouse. I was on Popcorn Playhouse when it was a ship theme, before Klondike Eric. I think it was Captain Ernie (?). Anyway, it was my fifth birthday and it is a bit of a vague memory. I remember that we were late getting there and I missed all of the "birthday" special stuff that seemed to be the main point of going on the show. How about "Kids Bids" with the O'hara auction people? Bags and bags of Old Dutch boxtops and coupons were thrown out of my parents basement because we never made it to the show and we collected for years. And "Kiddies on Kamera" - my brother is a bagpiper and was on that show many times playing for the highland dancers. Did anyone see the anniversary show for CFRN last year? It was good, but it didn't show enough of all of this old stuff!

But here's a couple we all might remember across the country. How about Romper Room ( she never saw ME in the magic mirror), The Friendly Giant, Chez Helene. Gee, that kind of took up the morning and then it was lunchtime and naptime. Or time to go to playschool.

I had to laugh when you mention DH and the 8 tracks. Shortly after we moved into our new house 2 years ago, I heard Steppenwolf coming from our garage. I went out and there was my DH rockin' to his tunes. He'd plugged in an old 8-track player and found all of his old 8-track tapes. My kids, although thinking he was crazy, actually appreciated the fact that their Dad still had one that worked. Yeesh - you'd think it was an old Victrola or something. LOL. Now, that was cool when your parents or grandparents had one of those that worked!

I saw Heart when they were a backup act for April Wine. I went to see April Wine about 4 or 5 times. I loved their concerts. The first concert I went to was Deep Purple in 1972 and it was, I believe, the last event held at the Edmonton Gardens before they tore it down. My mother just freaked when she saw in the paper the next day that everyone used lighters or "sparklers" to ask for the encores. The Edmonton Gardens was apparently (according to my mother) the biggest fire trap in the city.

Until I just started thinking about how many concerts I did actually go to, I always thought that I missed out on alot. I used to listen to my friends talking about going to see Alice Cooper and so many others and I thought I never went to any concerts. In reality, I guess I went to quite a few. Anybody ever see Cheech and Chong live? That was funny - especially after a few t---- of wacky. No, I never did that. It was all the residual smoke around me . . . honest. But, you had to see Cheech and Chong on a high in order for it to be hilarious.

Wow, I had no idea what I was stirring up in my memories when we started this thread! ...

18 years ago

Being the old bag that i am, i can remember way back to 1959 when people first started getting tv in our little town (not this one - they never got tv here until the '60s!). Many of the kids on the block would gather at the people's house to watch Mighty Mouse. "Here I come to save the daaaaaaaaaay!" LOL My dad is a man who likes his gadgets and to keep up with the Jones (in this case, the Olin-Bittles!), so we soon had our own tv. I do remember Romper Room and Chez Helene, but my younger brothers and sisters watched those shows more than me. I remember Saturday morning cartoons, Captain Kangaroo, stuff like that. And for some reason, a detergent called FAB. :)

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994