Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazy_gardener

Guess This Plant / Garden Quiz Game

17 years ago

How about a lit' game to help us get thru the winter months?

GUESS THIS PLANT / GARDEN QUIZ GAME

This is an ongoing game in which we post a photo of a plant or a garden-related quiz which can be multiple choice, matching, true or false, unscramble or anything you can come up with to rattle our brains.

If your answer is correct, it will be your turn to post the next plant or quiz. Should be fun!

*Please keep this as one post, do not start another thread, so that way we can keep track whose turn it is.

Ok, IÂll start...

This rose essence is the rarest, most costly fragrance in the world. More valuable than gold. It takes 180 pounds (82kg) of roses - about 60,000 flowers to make a single fluid ounce (28ml) of rose oil. What is the name of this rose flower oil?

If you guess correct, it will be your turn next ;)

Sharon

Comments (153)

• 17 years ago

Thimble berry (Rubus parviflorus) or salmon berry (Rubus spectabilis)?

• 17 years ago

I was going to guess Cloudberry, Rubus chamaemorus, but I think Cloudberries are also called Salmon berries. Now I'm confused! :0

• 17 years ago

Right genus. Keep hunting - on your tummy, if you have to. At least, on your hands and knees. ; )

• 17 years ago

What about Rubus arcticus?

Syreeta

• 17 years ago

nope

• 17 years ago

Rubus pubescens Dwarf Red Blackberry
    Also known as - Dewberry, Dwarf Raspberry, Running Raspberry, Trailing Raspberry.

• 17 years ago

You got it, Sharon. I love finding these. I've known them as dewberries since I was a little kid. You're up.

Shauna

• 17 years ago

LOL, there is a town near by us called Dewberry ;)

I'll be back...

• 17 years ago

{{gwi:691124}}

White berries tipped with a black dot in the center. What is the botanical name and the most commonly name of this plant?

I want this plant so badly in my shade garden, but I've haven't had any luck germinating seed yet ;(

Sharon

• 17 years ago

Is it the White Baneberry (Actea pachypoda)?

Brenda

• 17 years ago

I guess that one was too easy, you got it Brenda, you're up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Actaea pachypoda

• 17 years ago

I call those Doll's Eyes... very poisonous. They are one of the more common wild plants around here. Very pretty though. Just an aside, not a contribution to the contest.

• 17 years ago

Okay,... went to Winnipeg today and my sister and I worked on this quiz. Hope you get lots of smiles out of these like we did when we made them up for you.

I would like the answer to each part of each question. If you find a "____" in the clue, I need the word that the "_____" is. Each question's answer is a name of a plant.

l. (opposite of night) + (a member of the genus Syringa) - aes + (how come?).

2. f + (reason to go to school)- la + (part of plant attached to stem) + (1 cent coin) - n + o + (green vegetable) - a + ($s) - moe.

3. (fuel) - s + (sick) + (home for flowers) - gen + (Anna and the King of "_____") - sm.

4. (Yucky grey flying insect) + (Superman) - h + (dad) - aer + (opposite of me) - ou + (opposite of you).

5. (sad color) - u + (do not "_____" the bears) - fe + (season of the year) - spr + (opposite of she) + (a Picasso).

6. (to tent under stars) + (critter from the family Formicidae) - t + (a wingless fly that lives on bees) - (an article of clothing ladies wear).

7. (donkey) - s + (winter clothing) - K + (quick burst of wind) - t.

8. (game hint) - le + (drinking vessel) - p + (yellow color) - a.

9. (Yankee Doodle "________") - y + e + (king of the jungle).

1. (a children's toy..."_______" bear) - a + (jump for joy) - la + (opera people do this) - s + (Queen Elizabeth's son) - es + (when the lightbulb goes on in your head you have an "______") - da.

2. (ship docking) + u + (kind of tablecloth) - e + a.

Have fun!!

Brenda

• 17 years ago

I'll keep working on it but is number 1 dylwiiawhy? No, I didn't think so, either. LOL This should keep us busy for a bit.

Shauna

• 17 years ago

WOW!!! How long was the drive??? :)

• 17 years ago

I see from Shauna's experience that taking away the letters from the previous section in brackets might be clearer if we do this... and subtract the letters this way...

Also, a mistake was made in #1...'acs' instead of the original 'aes' and also added a 'wh'.

So, this is the revised addition. Really think we need an edit button for our garden web.

1. (opposite of night) + (a member of the genus Syringa - acs) + (how come? - wh).

2. f + (reason to go to school - la) + (part of plant attached to stem) + (1 cent coin - n) + o + (green vegetable - a) + ($s - moe).

3. (fuel - s) + (sick) + (home for flowers - gen) + (Anna and the King of "_____" - sm).

4. (Yucky grey flying insect) + (Superman - h) + (dad - aer) + (opposite of me - ou) + (opposite of you).

5. (sad color - u) + (do not "_____" the bears - fe) + (season of the year - spr) + (opposite of she) + (a Picasso).

6. (to tent under stars) + (critter from the family Formicidae - t) + (a wingless fly that lives on bees - an article of clothing ladies wear).

7. (donkey - s) + (winter clothing - k) + (quick burst of wind - t).

8. (game hint - le) + (drinking vessel - p) + (yellow color - a).

9. (Yankee Doodle "________" - y) + e + (king of the jungle).

1. (a children's toy..."_______" bear - a) + (jump for joy - la) + (opera people do this - s) + (Queen Elizabeth's son - es) + (when the lightbulb goes on in your head you have an "______" - da).

2. (ship docking) + u + (kind of tablecloth - e) + a.

Sorry, hope that the changes makes it easier for all.

Brenda

• 17 years ago

Garden Chicken...
    Let's see...yesterday the drive to Winnipeg...left home at 7:45am ...met my sister at 8:10, switched vehicles and drove 1 hour and 15 minutes to Portage La Prairie and then shopped at the Dollarama there for an hour. Got to Winnipeg at 11:45am. Shopped all afternoon and then picked up my son from res at the university and got home at 10:40pm.

We had lots of time to work on this puzzle. We enjoyed putting it together for you all. Hope you don't find it too hard.

Brenda

• 17 years ago

I think I got them. Took me about fifteen minutes and a bit of thought. Great puzzle, Brenda.

1. Daylily
    2. Fernleaf Peony
    3. Gallardia
    4. Mother of Thyme
    5. Bleeding Heart
    6. Campanula
    7. Asparagus
    8. Cucumber
    9. Dandelion

1. Creeping Charlie
    2. Portulaca

Shauna

• 17 years ago

Shauna...you got it.

For you who are still doing so...here are the answers...

1. (day) + (lilacs- acs) + (why - wh). = DAYLILY

2. f + (learn - la) + (leaf) + (pea - a) + (money - me). = FERN LEAF PEONY (Sorry for the extra clues we had some options and when I typed them quickly last night 2 options went in ...sorry)

3. (gas -s + (ill) + (garden - gen) + (Siam - sm)= GAILLARDIA

4. (moth) + (hero - h) + (father - aer) + (you - ou) + (me) = MOTHER OF THYME

5. (blue - u) + (feed - fe) + (spring - spr) + (he) + (art)= BLEEDING HEART

6. (camp) + (ant - t) + (braula - bra)= CAMPANULA

7. (ass - s) + (parka- k) + (gust - t)= ASPARAGUS

8. (clue - le) + (cup - p) + (amber- a)= CUCUMBER

9. (dandy - y) + e + (lion)= DANDELION

1. (care - a) + (leap - la) + (sing - s) + (Charles - es) + (idea - da) = CREEPING CHARLIE

2. (port) + u + (lace - e) + a = PORTULACA

Your turn, Shauna.

Brenda

• 17 years ago

This quintessential chrysanthemum, a staple of most every flower garden, was a cross between two other chrysanthemums in 1890. Name the flower (botanical and common names) and the horticulturist.

Shauna

• 17 years ago

Okay, I think I found the answer.

The horticulturist is Luther Burbank and he crossed a Portuguese Chrysanthemum (Leucanthemum lacustre) with a Pyrenees Chrysanthemum (Chrysanthemum x superbum) to produce what is now known as a Shasta Daisy.

So am I right?

Syreeta

• 17 years ago

So very close, Syreeta. Do a bit more sleuthing for the full answer.

Actually, after a bit more research on my part, I need to make an amendment to my question. Apparently it is a crossing of four chrysanthemums that led to this garden variety.

Shauna

• 17 years ago

Okay I think I found it now.

I was correct with Luther Burbank.

He started with the Ox-Eye Daisy (Leucanthemum vulgare) which he crossed with the English Field Daisy (Leucanthemum maximum). The resulting offspring were then crossed with the Portuguese Field Daisy (Leucanthemum lacustre). Those offspring were then crossed with Montaukor or Nippon Daisy (Nipponanthemum nipponicum). The resulting offspring are what we now call Shasta Daisies or (Leucanthemum x superbum).

Syreeta

• 17 years ago

You got it, Syreeta.

I had no idea that there was so much development involved with the Shasta Daisy. Amazing what you find when you dig up a bit of trivia.

Shauna

• 17 years ago

Geez, I thought Shastas were almost wild. Or almost weeds. (Just kidding, I love Shastas)

• 17 years ago

Well I've been busy getting ready for Christmas so it took me a little bit to look up a new question. So here it is:

This plant was planted on roof tops to hold slate in place and thought to protect houses from lightening and subsequent fires. Charlemagne ordered these plants planted on all roofs to protect imperial goods and estates. What is this plant?

Syreeta

• 17 years ago

Is it sempervivum???

• 17 years ago

Moss?

• 17 years ago

You're up Garden Chicken.

Syreeta who is now off to bed to wait for Santa

• 17 years ago

Did Santa show up???

How about a tree quiz?! I love these trees and would incorporate several (or one...) into my landscape plan but they aren't recommended for city sized lots. :(

This tree reproduces by sending up suckers from it's extensive, shallow root system. This process can produce stands of trees that are genetically identical, and these 'clones' can cover several hectares, surviving for 1000's of years, making it one of the largest and oldest organisms on earth.

One of the native translations for the name of this tree is 'woman's tongue'... hmmmmm....

• 17 years ago

My guess would be the Quaking aspen, Populus tremuloides.

Brenda

• 17 years ago

Quaking, trembling, noisy leaf... You've got it Brenda!
    It's interesting how stands of these trees can even have the same shape, sometimes right down to a kink in the trunk that is the same! Very cool.

Your turn!

• 17 years ago

Noisy leaf = 'woman's tongue', DH had a good chuckle!

GC, we have thousands of Trembling Aspens around here, next time I will have to examine them to see how identical they are.

This game is very educational; you learn something new each day!

Sharon

• 17 years ago

Did you forget us Brenda? You're up.

• 17 years ago

No, I didn't forget you guys. In the last 3 - 4 days...I had to go to work, majorly cleaned the house, had a funeral to attend, hosted a Christmas family gathering here at our home, attended church, had kids home for the holidays, got 'rid' of the kids, had friends over for New Year's Eve, made lots of food and, of course, done lots of dishes. I want my life back. It has been a lot of activity around here some fun, some not so (funeral)...but I will be back in the next day or so to give you guys a quiz. I am working on something for you all.

Wishing all a Happy New Year!!!

Brenda (off in a few hours to another family gathering)

• 17 years ago

Brenda, obviously youÂre very busy so IÂm going to go ahead and post the next quiz to get this thread going again.

What leaf foliage is very narrow in relation to the length, and with the sides parallel?

• 17 years ago

I'm guessing crocus?

• 17 years ago

Gil, I'm not looking for a plant name but rather in botany terms, the following terms are used to describe the shape of plant leaves: Long and very narrow, what is this leaf shape called?

Shauna, I thought you would know for sure ;)

Sharon

• 17 years ago

Lanceolate? Sorry I thought that was a weird question Sharon, I didn't know what you were getting at! LOL

• 17 years ago

Sorry, I was out most of yesterday and didn't see this until now. I'll take a stab at it - monocot. Characteristic of the monocot is the veins that run parallel to the length of the leaf vs. the veining of a dicot forming a network within the leaf.

Shauna

• 17 years ago

Shauna, nope ;)

Gil, ohhhhhhhh, you're so close....lance-shaped, lanceolate is long, wider in the middle.

The leaf shape I'm looking for is long and very narrow?

• 17 years ago

What about either Linear (acicular/filiform) or Stap-Shaped (ensiform/ligulate/lorate)?

Syreeta

• 17 years ago

DING DING DING, Yes you got it Syreeta!

It is Linear, which means long and very narrow.

You're up next ;)

Sharon

• 17 years ago

Tea Roses are a result of a cross between these two roses what are they? What is the name of the first tea rose? (Not the hybrid one.)

Syreeta

• 17 years ago

oh geez, I'm just guessing ;)
    China rose X Rosa gigantea
    Hume's Blush China

• 17 years ago

Close enough Sharon. :) The parents of the first tea are Rosa gigantea and Rosa chinensis, and they produced 'Hume's Blush Tea-scented China'.

You're up!

Syreeta

• 17 years ago

Ok, here's one for you, my plants will be 2 years old next year, hopefully they'll put on a great show this summer.

{{gwi:691124}}
    Guess this plant, botanical and common name please?

Sharon

• 3 years ago

Rose

• 3 years ago

LOL I love it when these old threads get resurrected!

• 3 years ago

i live here