Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valleyrimgirl

Kidney shaped bed

valleyrimgirl
16 years ago

Just thought I would share with you all how the kidney shaped bed (at the front of the walkway to the house) that I planted up, in the fall of 2006 with miniature Siloam dayliles and some irises, filled in last summer. I left in the bed the lilies, creeping pink phlox and a lamium maculata.

Before... Just after it was planted up in the fall of 2006...

{{gwi:698517}}

Last summer... I mulched the bed so I wouldn't have to spend time weeding or watering. The phlox in the front put on a beautiful show in spring and the lamium in the back bloomed all summer right until frost.

{{gwi:698630}}

I can hardly wait until the summer of 2008 when all the Siloams will bloom about the same time.

Brenda

Comments (7)

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

It is looking lovely Brenda. You will have to post pictures of this bed next summer so we can have another look.

Shelley

• Pudge 2b
    16 years ago

That is very nice, Brenda.

I'm curious about the peonies growing amongst the creeping juniper - the juniper appears to surround the peonies. I like the look, and obviously the peonies aren't suffering from this at all. Do you keep an area cleared around the peonies?

• valleyrimgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Pudge, Yes, those are peonies growing amongst the creeping juniper.

Gay Paree is the pink in the front amongst the juniper and in the background is Mons Martin Cahuzac peony (I think, identified through photos only). M Martin C is my husband's favorite (so far) of the peonies in the yard.

{{gwi:698096}}

I do not clear any of the juniper around the peony. The peony just comes up through the branches of the juniper. There used to be large global cedars in there until one year the deer stripped all the needles off them. We pulled them out with the truck that spring and I planted peonies in each hole instead without amending the soil at all. The peonies grow just a touch shorter, bloom and once the flowers are finished a nice little green leafed plant is left.

Brenda

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Looking good Brenda! I'm hoping I will see all my Siloams that I purchased a couple of years ago from Gary bloom this year for me too.

Sharon

• valleyrimgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sharon, do you remember which Siloams you got from him?

I have had a few of mine bloom last summer. I distinctly remember Siloam Joy blooming in the kidney bed. Loved it!

Brenda

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

That's just lovely Brenda! It's really amazing how much plants can grow in a year's time.....you don't notice it when you see it every day, but yearly pictures sure tell the story, don't they?

What a show-stopper that bed will be this summer!

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

These are the ones I have already in my collection, I too did have a few that bloomed the following spring.

SILOAM ADDIE BRANCH SMITH (Gary Carlson 06)
    SILOAM BYE LO (Gary Carlson 06)
    SILOAM DAVID KIRCHHOFF (Gary Carlson 06)
    SILOAM ETHEL SMITH (Gary Carlson 06)
    SILOAM FLOWER GIRL (Ensata 07)
    SILOAM LITTLE GIRL (Gary Carlson 06)
    SILOAM MERLE KENT (Gary Carlson 06)
    SILOAM NEW TOY (Gary Carlson 06)
    SILOAM RAINBOW MAGIC (Gary Carlson 06)
    SILOAM ROSE DAWN (Gary Carlson 06)
    SILOAM SHOW GIRL (Gary Carlson 06)
    SILOAM URY WINNIFORD (Parkland 06)
    SILOAM VIRGINIA HENSON (Gary Carlson 06)

I have a few more on a pending order, just waiting for verication ;)

Sharon

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022