Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sierra_z2b

Amaryllis

sierra_z2b
17 years ago

I bought 4 Amaryllis after Christmas for $2 each. The first one opened yesterday. This bulb also has a second scape on it. The other 3 have scapes as well, but they aren't at the blooming stage yet.

Amaryllis Apple Blossom.

{{gwi:700222}}

{{gwi:700225}}

{{gwi:700227}}

{{gwi:700229}}

{{gwi:700231}}

{{gwi:700233}}

{{gwi:700235}}

Sierra

Comments (7)

• northspruce
    17 years ago

Very pretty Sierra! Oooh sparkly! ;0)

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

That is pretty, wonderful photos as always!

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

How come I can never find amaryllis bulbs for $2?? :( I looked everywhere in Brandon, and the best deal I could find was $4 for some all white ones. I picked the plumpest of the bunch(most just looked dead) and it's finally got a flower bud poking out.

You got a great deal there Sierra, and those pics are gorgeous!

• savona
    17 years ago

I bought an apple blossom amaryllis 1.5 years ago..last year it gave me two babies which are now growing nicely in their own pots..hopefully yours will be just as prolific for you..lovely close up studies of yours..savona

• sierra_z2b
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Laurie, this was a managers special at one of the grocery stores here........I opened the boxes and sorted though them. I also went to a couple other grocery stores, but they only had them on for half price.....so I didn't get anymore.

I was pleased that this one, bloomed true to its name on the box. :-)I have a large collection of Amaryllis. I have found some varieties to be a lot more prolific than others.

Sierra

• i_heart_flowers
    17 years ago

Lovely blooms Sierra! And great pics! You must have some wicked camera!!

I had an Apple Blossom last Christmas (2005) and a Red Lion (which was not very "red") this past Christmas. My first tries with Amaryllis. I really enjoyed them over the Christmas season.

Can you share some details on how to get them to come back. I followed the instructions on the packaging but didn't have any success last year. The Red Lion is still green but the leaves are just now starting to die back. I would love to be able to keep it for next year. Too bad I lost the Apple Blossom. It was beautiful

• sierra_z2b
    Original Author
    17 years ago

There is an Amaryllis forum on Garden web...so you can get lots of info there.

I let them flower.....keep the leaves going till spring then....if I remember...set them outside and keep watering and fertilizing with the rest of the container plants. In the fall, if the foliage hasn't died back....cut it back and let the bulb rest for at least 6 weeks. Then replant or start watering the pot again......some will re-flower the next season, some will take a year or two with just leaves. For fertilizer, I use 20 20 20.

Sierra