{{gwi:702895}}

{{gwi:702897}}

{{gwi:702900}}

{{gwi:702904}}

{{gwi:702908}}

Sierra

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    18 years ago

Oh my, Sierra - beautiful pics! While you were posting that, i was going through my Photobucket album finding all my Cs. Not as pretty as yours - the pics, i mean. You're talented!

Anyway, here goes:

Cynoglossum:
    {{gwi:702912}}

Callibrachoa:
    {{gwi:702913}}

Cosmos:
    {{gwi:702914}}

Clematis ÂVille de LyonsÂ:
    {{gwi:702915}}

Coleus:
    {{gwi:702916}}

Chrysanthemum ÂMorden Fiesta PurpleÂ:
    {{gwi:702917}}

Clematis Jackmanii:
    {{gwi:702918}}

White crocus:
    {{gwi:702919}}

Purple crocus:
    {{gwi:702920}}

Yellow crocus:
    {{gwi:702921}}

• Laurie_z3_MB
    18 years ago

Canna 'Tropicana'
    {{gwi:702922}}

Clematis 'John Paul II'
    {{gwi:702923}}

Clematis 'Minuet'
    {{gwi:702925}}

Clematis 'Abundance'
    {{gwi:702926}}

Campanula 'Elizabeth'
    {{gwi:702929}}

Coral Bells 'Splendens'
    {{gwi:702930}}

Cerastium (Snow in Summer)
    {{gwi:702931}}

Coleus 'Kong' series
    {{gwi:702932}}

• northspruce
    18 years ago

Everyone's favourite... Corn Smut!
    {{gwi:702934}}

Columbines Aquilegia canadensis
    {{gwi:702935}}

"Corrida" Asiatic Lily
    {{gwi:702936}}

Cactus
    {{gwi:702937}}

Hemerocallis "Crimson Pirate" daylily (98% sure I got the name right)
    {{gwi:702938}}

Champlain
    {{gwi:702939}}

More cacti
    {{gwi:702940}}

• durtcom
    18 years ago

Here are my C's:

{{gwi:702941}}
    Crabapple

{{gwi:702942}}
    Columbine

{{gwi:702943}}
    Cornflower

{{gwi:702944}}
    Calendula - Victoria Sunset

{{gwi:409295}}
    Clasping Coneflower

{{gwi:702945}}
    Calendula

Susan

• luv2gro
    18 years ago

Here's my contribution

{{gwi:702946}}
    Cape Gooseberry

{{gwi:702947}}
    Convolvulus 'Blue Ensign'

{{gwi:702948}}
    'CanCan'

Shauna

• CrazyDaisy_68
    18 years ago

{{gwi:702949}}
    Calendula 'Pacific Beauty'
    {{gwi:702950}}
    Campanula that fell over into the dianthus due to all the spring rain we got last year.

{{gwi:702952}}
    new little Coleus babies!
    {{gwi:702954}}
    A Coleus Cutting that I've been overwintering.

{{gwi:702956}}
    Cosmos

• echoes_or
    18 years ago

My C's
    {{gwi:702958}}
    Campion - Rose Campion

Columbines - Various

{{gwi:702960}}

{{gwi:702962}}

{{gwi:702964}}

{{gwi:50593}}

{{gwi:702966}}

{{gwi:693613}}
    Neighbors Fall Cottonwoods

• valleyrimgirl
    18 years ago

Here's Cherry Bells Campanula.

{{gwi:702967}}

Brenda

18 years ago

How tall is that, Brenda? I have "Hot Lips", and it kind of sprawls on the ground. It would look a lot nicer if it was upright, as yours seems to be.

• valleyrimgirl
    18 years ago

Cherry bells are about 12 inches high. I love their huge flowers that hang down on the stems...looks actually out of proportion, small stem and huge flowers. They bloom for so long and I love their color. They slowly spread by runners which is okay, so I can sell the extra at my yearly garage sale.

What zone is Hot Lips? Want to do a trade in the spring?

I also have a few more campanula that I love ...now that Laurie showed me last night how to post pictures I can show you all some of the perennials I have. I will post Bernice, Caroline and Takisimana yet...all campanula. Just have to have the time to do the transfer to Photobucket and shrink the pictures.

• valleyrimgirl
    18 years ago

Here's Caroline Campanula, it is a lavendar clustered bellflower.

{{gwi:702968}}

Here is another picture of it.

{{gwi:702970}}

I bought it from a friend in '04 and it has done well for me.

Brenda (who is enjoying finally being able to post pictures...thanks Laurie.)

18 years ago

Hi Brenda - Photobucket is down this morning, so i can't post a single picture of Hot Lips. She's in the album below, though - somewhere! She's rated zone 4 (i bought her in Thunder Bay), but she's come through two winters here, and hopefully a third now. She's planted on the northwest side of the house in light shade, fairly close to the foundation, which may have helped. I've never collected seed but she's probably a hybrid and wouldn't come true. If she looks like she can be divided this spring, we can set up a trade. If there's a possibility that we're heading out that way in the summer, i can even bring you the division (you're near Brandon, aren't you?). I'm already stealing all of someone there's lilies - Laurie's, maybe? LOL

I'm trying to think of some way of exposing her blooms better - a tiny trellis? :) If anyone has ideas, feel free!

Here is a link that might be useful: July pictures

• northspruce
    18 years ago

Marcia I think a little support of some kind might help - in the pic it looks like it's just sitting on the ground. Pretty though. Perhaps a Wonderbra or a girdle - haha sorry.

I was snooping in your other pics and AAAAAGH I love your Dianthus "Arctic Fire". I have it started indoors for the first time this spring - so excited! Does it spread much for you or just stay put? Would it like to be in hot dry soil? I'm not sure where to plant it.

18 years ago

Wonderbra! LOL There's a plan. D'you think the crowds (ha ha) on the garden tour would think that was funny??

What i was thinking of was either planting something else near it (things haven't filled in much in that garden), or setting a rock by it to drape the branches over, or maybe moving it closer to the edge of the bed.

Arctic Fire is pretty! It has stayed put fairly well over the years (three or four now). It's in moist soil (lots of cover in that area) and gets a fair bit of sun. I just spent awhile looking in my other pictures because i was pretty sure i had planted some along the edge of the bulb bed, and yes, there it was. That soil is dryer, but it gets less sun there. So it seems that it isn't that fussy. I'm sure you'll love it!

• valleyrimgirl
    18 years ago

Marcia,

The lilies you were coming for...I think those are mine...I have about 200 different varieties, 98% named and a lot need to be divided this year.

More "C" pictures...

Bernice Campanula...my absolute favorite bellflower. It does not reseed in my garden, it has a clump that slowly gets larger and does not run like a lot of other campanulas.

{{gwi:702972}}

The next one is an old variety of campanula...the clustered bellflower (Campanula Glomerata)

{{gwi:702974}}

The next one is the Peachleaf Blue Bellflower (Campanula Persicifolia)

{{gwi:702977}}

This is a species Campanula called Takisimana Campanula. It spreads by runners just like Cherry Bells but is white and has the most gorgeous spots on the inside of the bell. But...the camera couldn't get a good picture of it but I'll try again this summer.

{{gwi:702979}}

Another picture of the plant...same shape as cherry bells and bloomed almost as long. A little overexposed..oh well...

{{gwi:702981}}

This one is blue clips campanula. It also bloomed and bloomed for me last summer.

{{gwi:702982}}

I have more campanula but no pictures of them...

Brenda

• sierra_z2b
    18 years ago

Wonderbra.... Oh yes dear...these are the new supports for the plants...and they are so decorative to...hahaha Another idea to keep the neighbours away?

Echoes...those are some of the nicest columbines I have ever seen!

Oh I always think of more once you guys post. LOL Like columbine and companula.

I hope the coralbells I just bought survives here...I think it may be a zone 5. But it looked so pretty on the box.

Trying to think of things that start with "D" already. Hmmmm

Sierra

• SeaOtterCove
    18 years ago

Great pictures everyone. I really should post some flowers, just to busy to upload pictures at the moment. Marcia, if I'm remembering properly, Hot Lips is normally grown in with alpine plants, this way the flowers are on top of gravel and aren't overwhelmed by large plants. Do you have an alpine area you could transplant it to? Or planning on digging another flowerbed this year? :D

Syreeta

18 years ago

No, i don't have a good alpine area, but that could be remedied, maybe next year, as this year is the one for making paths and general upkeep - nothing too major. I can see where 'Hot Lips' might look nice in a niche of some sort, like if you had a rock wall. Now where am i gonna get me one of those???? :)

Brenda, what a good trade - one campanula for 100 lilies! LOL Fair enough, eh? Do you think your Peachleaf Blue would come true from seed? I have the 'alba' version of that and it reseeds a fair bit. I've also had both blue and white 'Clips' but they died out after a few years. I'm trying them again this year - i've winter sown both of them and 'Dwarf Pink' as well.

I love Echo's columbines too, and i love her rocks. I think i'm going to be on a rock quest over the next couple of years.

• sierra_z2b
    18 years ago

Psssst Marcia...You can have the rocks that are in my back yard ravine for ohhhhhhhh say.....100 lilies. LOL!

Hey Syreeta was wondering where you were.....I potted up a coral bells for you. The little hostas are comming along too.

Sierra :-)

• Laurie_z3_MB
    18 years ago

Brenda, you're very welcome! Awesome pics too.

Marcia, Oooo, Oooo!(hand waving) I've got a rock or two that could hold up 'Hot Lips' if you're coming to Brandon! Should have some of that 'Blue Spruce' sedum for ya too........

• valleyrimgirl
    18 years ago

No, no, Marcia...one hot lips for one cherry bells....

Lilies...I don't know price wise...I think we can work something out....talk later on that one...first you have to get here to the Brandon area to visit us...Laurie and I.

Peachleaf Blue...the babies that pop up here and there seem to be true to the original plant. I don't bother saving any seeds 'cause I have enough babies to sell each spring already. You want a plant when you come out...if you come out...just say so.

Do crafts we make count for "C"...misc? How about copper garden tags?

Brenda (who still has to go thru all her pictures to find A's and B's and still has lots of C's to go.) (Hope you guys and gals like pictures!!!)

18 years ago

Hey, i tried! :)

I know another C - Containers!

Impatiens - not going to plant them in this container again! I could have watered twice a day and they were still drooping!
    {{gwi:702984}}

Petunias from saved purple wave seeds:
    {{gwi:702986}}

I was going for some kind of look here. Didn't work!
    {{gwi:702988}}

Finally figured out what to do with all these things:
    {{gwi:702990}}

Theoretically, the thunbergia was supposed to twine all around the wagon wheel. Another thing that didn't quite make it!
    {{gwi:702991}}

One "O Canada" container:
    {{gwi:702993}}

Osteos, nemesia and million bells. This was the container i had put the yellow glads in. You can see a couple of spikes.
    {{gwi:702995}}

I liked this one - combination of purple and silver waves, some verbena and there were purple osteospermum in there too:
    {{gwi:702996}}

Finally, we can't leave out the CAT! :)
    {{gwi:702998}}

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Great photo's everyone!
    Brenda, anything garden related can be included ;)

{{gwi:703000}}
    Clematis integrifolia

{{gwi:703002}}
    Centaurea dealbata

{{gwi:703004}}
    Crambe cordifolia

{{gwi:703006}}
    Centaurea macrocephala Giant Knapweed

{{gwi:703007}}

{{gwi:703009}}

{{gwi:703010}}

{{gwi:703012}}
    COSMOS Sensation Dazzler

{{gwi:703013}}
    Chrysanthemum ÂMorden CanaryÂ

{{gwi:703015}}
    Coreopsis tinctoria 'Dwarf Red'

{{gwi:703017}}
    Coreopsis tinctoria Tickseed

{{gwi:703019}}
    Cynara cardunculus Silver Leaf Giant Cardoon

{{gwi:698585}}
    CYMBALARIA muralis Kenilworth Ivy

{{gwi:703022}}
    CENTRANTHUS ruber Red Valerian

{{gwi:703024}}
    Calendula Pacific Beauty Apricot

Campanula rapunculoides Creeping Bellflower

Sharon
    (How many days before Spring, I'm getting soooo excited!)

• valleyrimgirl
    18 years ago

Misc that starts with "C"...well what about canning?

First picture is some of the tomatoes from my garden.

{{gwi:700815}}

Then comes out the Victorio Strainer from McFaydens that I have had for about 15 years. Notice our cat in the background watching me take the picture.

{{gwi:703029}}

Then the raw tomato juice goes into my large pot on the stove and I add a little sugar and some salt and let it boil for as long as necessary.

{{gwi:703030}}

Here is the finished product ready to go downstairs to the pantry for the winter.

{{gwi:703033}}

Brenda (who never buys jam or jelly or tomato juice or spagetti sauce or salsa or pickles or......)

• northspruce
    18 years ago

Brenda that's my favourite part of fall... I just love canning and jelly and stuff.

I was hoping my Christmas Cactus would oblige me with full bloom for the "C" list but it only has one bloom mostly open... now I know this might appear to be an Easter Cactus since it's blooming right now, but I had it under the gro light until January so I think it's just confused.
    {{gwi:703035}}

18 years ago

One of mine has buds on it too (Christmas Cactus, that is). It was blooming when i bought it in December, and i haven't moved it since. Maybe it just celebrates the holidays!

Brenda, wow, great harvest! I used to do a lot of that when the kids were young. Now i'm lazy in my old age! :>

18 years ago

Another C. Just had to show this guy off - i think i'll call him "Magnifi-canna"!

{{gwi:703037}}

• verenap
    18 years ago

Sharon, your Creeping Bellflower looks so pretty...what's the secret, and how do you keep it contained? I have some (was here when I moved in), but it has taken over the lawn in several areas (I can't seem to kill it there) and where I do want it, it only gets one or two flower spikes and they always fall over (Hmmm...won't grow where I want it to, only where I don't...Doesn't that make it more like a weed?? LOL!)...suggestions??

Verena

The calendar says 4 DAYS TO SPRING!! YEAH!!

• kat3
    18 years ago

Wow !! Great pics..
    {{gwi:703039}}
    Cape Mape Warbler
    {{gwi:703041}}
    Candytuft
    {{gwi:703043}}
    Caribbean Crush Verbascum

{{gwi:703045}}
    Clematis Jackmanii
    {{gwi:703047}}
    Coneflower
    {{gwi:703049}}
    Calendula
    {{gwi:703051}}
    Cranberry Bush

• northspruce
    18 years ago

I was really hesitant to post anything about this because obviously Sharon knows what she's doing (an understatment) but Creeping Blue Bellflower probably shouldn't be encouraged. Only Alberta has actually legislated against it, and it is the less offensive "restricted weed" (as opposed to noxious), but it can get out of control fast. The only reason I mention this at all is because I'm fighting a losing battle with it coming out of my neighbour's yard and it breaks my heart that people might seek to plant it not knowing what it is. Sharon, I really really hope you don't take offense to my posting this, yours looks really beautiful and I know you have it well contained.

• verenap
    18 years ago

Thanks, I didn't know the creeping bellflower was classified like that (I am in Alberta) I think I may just try to dig it all out in that case...It certainly does look lovely in Sharon's pic, but it has taken over and choked out the lawn in a 6x12' section. I guess I'll be replacing some lawn this year too... I think I'll just switch to a less invasive bell flower.

• valleyrimgirl
    18 years ago

C is for crafts.

Each Monday evening in the winter only ladies come down to my place and we paint or make things for our gardens.

So...here's a picture of Laurie (and her plexiglass stained glass picture.

{{gwi:703053}}

Here's one that I completed last week. It may be a wedding gift for a cousin of mine. I just love it...maybe I will keep it for me...

{{gwi:693767}}

• Laurie_z3_MB
    18 years ago

Ha ha, Brenda you finally caught me hard at work for a change!

Laurie

• valleyrimgirl
    18 years ago

And I like your work!!! :)

Brenda

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

LOL, Laurie! Nice garden crafts btw!

I forgot, how could I forget my Chickens and Compost!
    {{gwi:697522}}
    {{gwi:703056}}

Sharon

• SeaOtterCove
    18 years ago

{{gwi:703058}}
    Calendula

{{gwi:703060}}
    California Poppy

{{gwi:703062}}
    Campanula glomerata

{{gwi:703065}}
    Campanula 'Cup and Saucer'

{{gwi:703068}}
    Compfrey

{{gwi:703072}}
    Coreopsis grandiflora

{{gwi:703075}}
    Cosmo

Syreeta

• sharons2
    16 years ago

Now Crazy_Gardener,

How tall does your Cardoon get in the Far North? I keep seeing pictures of these cute 1' tall plants, but then I read that they can get up to 6' to 8' tall. Do you just grow them as annuals from a seed packet every year?

Cynara cardunculus Silver Leaf Giant Cardoon

Thanks,
    Sharon (the other Sharon)

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Sharon, they will grow aprox 2-3 feet if started early under lights and if we're lucky to have a hot long summer. I've never seen them in flower but they do look great as an ornamental feature in the garden or in huge containers such as whiskey barrels.

They are not hardy in our zone and need to be started by seed each year.

Sharon