Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurie_z3_mb

Garden Pics- week of April 22

Laurie_z3_MB
17 years ago

I hope I'm not jumping the gun, but I thought there should be some flowers blooming out there somewhere?

Here's what I've got for now.

Pale yellow snow crocus.

{{gwi:703568}}

Yellow snow crocus.

{{gwi:703570}}

Petasites japonicus flower, or better known in my yard, as the alien flower by DH.

{{gwi:701967}}

Ornamental pussywillows are getting huge.

{{gwi:703573}}

And I'm just delighted that the iris reticulata 'Katharyn Hodgkin' that I planted last fall have survived and are doing well. I love the markings on this one.

{{gwi:695512}}

The daffodils should be opening up soon too. Finally, it's so nice to have a bit of colour in the yard again. :0)

Laurie

Comments (17)

• sierra_z2b
    17 years ago

Hi Laurie, this is a good idea. Your iris's are very pretty! I was going to post some pics yesterday, but ran out of time. So here is what is blooming in my garden.

{{gwi:703576}}

{{gwi:703578}}

{{gwi:703580}}

{{gwi:703581}}

{{gwi:703582}}

{{gwi:703583}}

{{gwi:703584}}

{{gwi:703585}}

{{gwi:703588}}

{{gwi:703591}}

It will be a bit of a surprise this year as to what is still in the garden. So I'm happy these are still here.

Enjoy,
    Sierra

• northspruce
    17 years ago

Beautiful pics gals. Laurie, love the irises, must get me some. Sierra, your second picture is incredible... I love the white and purple together!! What's the little blue striped fella second from the last?

I think I will have to wait a few days to join you with any pics.

• durtcom
    17 years ago

Beautiful pictures!! I really need to work on planting for some early spring color...

Susan

• Laurie_z3_MB
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Very pretty Sierra! I really love the two you did with the special effects. I also really like the veining in the last one. I think I'm going to have to put more kinds of crocus in this fall. I tried them one year awhile back, and they never survived for some reason. But now I gotta have more!lol

• sierra_z2b
    17 years ago

Northspruce...the little striped flower is Puschkinias or striped squill. I think they are so pretty. They are supposed to multiply quickly, but the haven't for me. I had some in the garden for about 10 years, and finally last year I bought more.

Laurie....bags of crocus from Costco in the fall. With crocus I find it takes them a couple of years to really take off...and put on a show. They also self seed here for me.

Sierra

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

I have nothing to show ;)

But I sure I'm enjoying your spring photos gals, way to grow!

I just love the markings on your I. reticulata 'Katharyn Hodgkin' Laurie, where did you order it and do you remember the date planted. I want one in my garden now ;)

Sharon

• savona
    17 years ago

Lovely pictures girls..savona

• Laurie_z3_MB
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sharon, I picked up those iris bulbs at McFaydens during their fall clear out. Even on clearance, they were $5 for a pack of 10 bulbs, so Brenda and I split the package because we weren't sure if they would even survive. I'm pretty sure that they were planted towards the end of October. Now that I know they will survive our winters, I'll have to keep my eyes open for them this fall.

• valleyrimgirl
    17 years ago

Laurie, my "KL" irises still haven't peaked out of the ground yet. I even think we planted them the same day last fall. Oh, well. I guess I will have to wait longer yet.

Last fall I placed flax around the irises so that there would be less weeds this year. I am happy to report that so far 100% of the covered irises have made it through the winter. The leaves just collected in every area where the irises were. I did not cover the rhizome last fall with flax.

{{gwi:703594}}

{{gwi:703596}}

The rhubarb even has tiny leaves on it today...

{{gwi:703599}}

Brenda

• CrazyDaisy_68
    17 years ago

WOW! Great pictures.

Laurie, your iris 'Katharyn Hodgkin' is so cool looking.

I only have a few Glory-of-the-Snow blooming but it sure does give me a lift when I go out there. I have to get some crocus too yet for some more early spring colour.

Ang

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    17 years ago

Not much here either, and i haven't had time to upload pics that i've taken. So i'll enjoy blooms vicariously! :) My yellow mammoth crocuses are blooming - the only thing so far.

• prairierose
    17 years ago

My rhubarb's still just red bumps, but when I looked at it this morning my mouth started to water. Guess I'll have to settle for frozen stuff for now - I have a new rhubarb loaf recipe I want to try. I have some squill and crocuses blooming, and one little red and yellow tulip that I forgot I had planted. I'll try and get some pictures this weekend.
    Connie

• plantaddict487
    17 years ago

Here is my first tarda type tulip blooming yesterday. About a gazillion left to come and I have no idea where they came from. I don't remember planting so many!

BJ in SW MB

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:703567}}

• valleyrimgirl
    17 years ago

BJ, your tulip looks just like mine!! Aren't they pretty?

Mine is called... Tulipa humilis 'Violacea black base'. Mine just started to bloom today also, but I haven't got a picture of it yet. I haven't a clue where I bought mine because I got it back when I wasn't keeping a really good data base.

Brenda

• prairierose
    17 years ago

I have a few flowers blooming. It's so nice to see them after winter.

{{gwi:703603}}

{{gwi:703605}}

{{gwi:703609}}

My youngest DS and I went for a walk to the pasture on Thursday. The prairie crocuses are in full bloom

{{gwi:703612}}

{{gwi:703615}}

Connie

• north53 Z2b MB
    17 years ago

Oh Connie,
    The prairie crocuses are so plentiful. How lovely! I posted mine before I saw yours. Where I live they are difficult to find. One has to go searching. The clear-cut where we go is remote and our secret.

• prairierose
    17 years ago

As I understand it, the crocuses do best where the native pature is grazed, but not overgrazed. They don't compete terribly well with the grass, which is probably why they traditionally did well on the prairie wool, which is very fine and only gets about 4-6" tall most years. I read somewhere that they also require the right fungi in the soil, so you almost never see them on tame grass pastures.
    Connie