Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurie_z3_mb

Garden Pics- week of April 29

Laurie_z3_MB
16 years ago

We've had another beautiful week here. I've been keeping track of the temperature highs and lows, and we haven't had it go below 0*C since April 13! I'm a little nervous as to what May may bring though......seen that often enough.

So here's what's blooming now.

Forsythia

{{gwi:699663}}

Daffodils

{{gwi:703644}}

{{gwi:703645}}

Anyone else have pictures to share?

Comments (20)

• sierra_z2b
    16 years ago

Hmmm no daffys here yet. But here is what is in my garden this week.

another clump
    {{gwi:703646}}

{{gwi:703647}}

rhubarb
    {{gwi:703648}}

Tulips have started.
    {{gwi:703649}}

{{gwi:703650}}

{{gwi:703652}}

enjoy,
    Sierra

• valleyrimgirl
    16 years ago

Sierra,

I love your tulip...the one that is a cream color with the yellow and then a red ring around the golden eye. Do you know the name of it? How tall does it get?

Brenda

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Wonderful photos!

You gals are sure way ahead, I only have one thing blooming so far. LOL

{{gwi:697946}}
    Galanthus nivalis Snowdrop

Sharon

• Laurie_z3_MB
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Glad to see you on board Sharon! I'm going to have to try snowdrops again. I tried them a few years back and nothing. Any tips to pass on? It won't be long before your yard is flooded with flowers......you just have to do the blooming dance.;^)

Love your pictures Sierra! I really like the last one.....looks like the tulips are reaching up to the sky. There's some flower buds forming on a few of my tulips, so any day now I'll have some too.:0)

• sierra_z2b
    16 years ago

Brenda,

The cream coloured tulips are 'Ancilla'. I got some at Botanus and some at Costco.

The redish/stripy ones are 'Fashion'

They both get 6 to 8 inches tall. They are Kaufmanniana tulipa....blooms very early spring.

I kept good records of these last fall...LOL!

Sharon, I also haven't had any luck with snowdrops or snowflakes...dunno..guess someone will have to teach us that dance...hint. LOL!!!

Laurie, I have many tulips that are only about an inch tall...and some a little taller...but not showing buds yet either....I planted very early, early, mid, and late tulips.

Sierra

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

I couldn't remember when I planted them, so I went searching for my Botanus receipt, apparently they are not G. nivalis, they are called Galanthus elwesii. Elwesii has a large green mark inside the flower.

This is the first spring they are starting to bloom, I noticed another one just opening today. No tricks or tips, just patience and forgetfulness ;)

I noticed I planted Scilla bifolia rosea that fall too, I wonder where the heck are those! LOL

Sharon

• garden_chicken
    16 years ago

This is the sum total of my entire garden this spring. Makes these little flowers all the more precious...

{{gwi:703654}}

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    16 years ago

Great pics, everyone! GC, i expect to see MANY more garden pics by the end of the summer!

Most of you are ahead of me in blooms. I have very few, and in most cases it's just one or two of each. And right now it's freakin' cold so no flower in its right mind wants to bloom! Not supposed to last, though, thank goodness. :)

Anyway, here goes:
    Yellow mammoth crocus
    {{gwi:703656}}

Pushkinia alba
    {{gwi:703658}}

A lone hyacinth
    {{gwi:703660}}

Galanthus nivalis
    {{gwi:703662}}

Chionodoxa forbesii 'Pink Giant'
    {{gwi:703664}}

OMG - do you notice the dates? Obviously something screwed up on my camera! LOLOL I see the crocus picture has the right date, but the others were taken after i changed the batteries in my camera. Don't know why the formatting went. Oh well, will have to change it!

• Pudge 2b
    16 years ago

I have lots popping up but little in the way of blooms. Here's a few shots though.

Draba aizoides & Jovibarba
    {{gwi:703665}}

Draba aizoides & Sempervivum
    {{gwi:703666}}

Pulsatilla alpina
    {{gwi:703667}}

• sierra_z2b
    16 years ago

Ooohh hyacinths...nice. Mine are just starting to poke thier little noses out of the soil...so it will be a while yet.

Marcia..2003, your a few years behind. Giggle!!!! Its such a pain when the camera decides to do its own thing.

Nice photos all.

Okay, I had better get off of here and get to tending the plants under lights.

Sierra

• northspruce
    16 years ago

I'm still not on the flower train yet either :0( But my forsythias are blooming! They don't look as good in pics. I have five but others are only blooming around the bottom, I think because the P.O.s pruned them too hard.

{{gwi:703668}}

• Laurie_z3_MB
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lovely pictures everyone! It's so wonderful being able to "see" into everyone's garden.:0)

Gillian, how was the snow cover around the forsythias that are only blooming on the bottom? Mine is pretty exposed to the winds, so it never blooms above the snow line. Actually mine is only blooming on about the bottom 12" of the shrub. There was at least 3 feet of snow covering that bed, so go figure?

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Laurie, I didn't even think of that... the other forsythias are along the front sidewalk, and this one is against the south corner of the house. The pic doesn't do it justice but it's actually well covered in blooms. I thought it was a pruning issue because they were pruned hard around the top but not at the bottoms... I guess another season will tell but you might be right.

• prairierose
    16 years ago

My forsythia rarely blooms, because it' sitting out in the open - the farm shop that used to protect it had to come down. The bush does well, and is nice and green, but no pretty flowers, unless I get lucky and the bottom is covered with snow at the right time. Those blossoms are very sensitive to the cold.
    Connie

• xtreme_gardener
    16 years ago

Well, little ole me in Zone 1b (its been a long winter ;^) ) has a couple wee blooms.

Galanthus something or other...

{{gwi:703669}}

Johnny Jump-up beat the wild early blue violets

{{gwi:703670}}

Having this digital camera now is so much fun!

• valleyrimgirl
    16 years ago

My lungwort is blooming for its second year. This lungwort is the first lungwort in my yard to bloom. It is called Smokey Blue.

{{gwi:703671}}

Notice, it is coming up through last year's leaves and twigs.

{{gwi:703672}}

Brenda

• Laurie_z3_MB
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I love how the pink flowers change to blue on the lungwort Brenda. Very cool!

• xtreme_gardener
    16 years ago

That's a pretty flower, Brenda. And nice and early, too.

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

Very pretty Brenda. I love the different colorings. How long does lungwort bloom?

Shelley

• valleyrimgirl
    16 years ago

Shelley,

I haven't really paid attention to how long each individual lungwort blooms because I have so many different kinds and they are all in different areas in the yard. I think a few weeks though.

My Mrs. Moon is opening up in different spots in the yard and Dora B. has buds. Others are just poking through the ground yet. I purchased two new ones this year so I think 2 of Mrs. Moon will be sold and those put into her place. Although...deer do not like them so maybe I should make a bed of assorted lungwort in a deer prone area somewhere.

I love the dainty little flowers and the combination of blue and pink on the same plant.

Brenda

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional