Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurie_z3_mb

April Flowers

Laurie_z3_MB
16 years ago

I wasn't sure if I should be posting pictures of flowers in my yard for fear of snowballs being thrown at me from the people in Alberta and Saskatchewan.;0) But hopefully it'll melt quickly for you out there, and it'll be some needed moisture for your gardens.

It was really nice to see that the Iris Reticulata 'Katharyn Hodgkin' made it back for another season.

{{gwi:703713}}

The daffodils started blooming on the south side of the house this past weekend.

{{gwi:703714}}

{{gwi:703715}}

And here's the two newest members of our family, Zoe and Rocky.

{{gwi:703716}}

I'm really hoping that they'll be good mousers by fall, but in the mean time they're providing lots of entertainment with their antics!

Comments (12)

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Wow, that must be such a joy to see the colour popping up in your garden Laurie!

You got that right, its so awful here right now. We got 3 feet of s**** drifts in some places and the wind makes it miserable too. Unbelievable weather.

Your babies are so adorable! I have a grey barn cat too.

Happy Spring!

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Flowers, what flowers, Laurie has kittens! LOL Rocky looks like he might grow up handsome like my Spruce...
    {{gwi:693297}}

Spruce is a great mouser and also brings home rats, squirrels, bunnies etc.

• debbie_z2
    15 years ago

Your daffs look great Laurie! I've tried to grow them, but only ones that come up are the bridal crown, and not the big ones:(
    I planted several last fall, so if they don't come up this spring, that is it for buying them!
    Kitties are so cute...I've inherited MANY from my neighbors that like "my" yard much better than theirs. I don't mind them normally, but they like my flowerbeds unfortunately....grrrr!
    And speaking of snow... weathernetwork last night said that that the Provost area got 60cm!!! oh don't I know! LOLS sure shortens up the season we call spring and will have tulips still blooming in july, like I did last year:)
    Deb

• Laurie_z3_MB
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Deb, these daffs are planted right up against the south wall of the house, so they get lots of warmth. Daffs don't tend to do well for me away from the house. The only exception is 'Cheerfulness' that have done well in an island bed, and there's one other variety that does ok, but the name escapes me now.
    I'm hoping these two cuties will stay out of my flowerbeds. We've got lots of cultivated soil around the yard for fire guards, so they shouldn't have to use my flowerbeds for a litter box.;0)

Gillian, is Spruce grey or black? It's kind of hard to tell because his fur is so shiny. Our last cat was all black with beautiful shiny, thick fur. Too bad he got into the garbage and ate some tin foil from our BBQ'd meal that still had some potatoes stuck to it.:(

Yesterday, Rocky gave me a scare when he started throwing up, and didn't want to play at all, just meowed and wanted to be on my lap. That evening DH told me that in the morning he had taken some ripped up paper towel away from them that had been used to wipe up some milk that they had spilt the day before. That would explain why a few hours later I had seen a completely white kitty turd in the litter box that suspiciously looked a lot like paper. After passing all that paper, Rocky was back to himself, terrorizing Zoe again.:0)

• northspruce
    15 years ago

I used to have a really cute mini daffodil called "Minnow" that bloomed really well.

Spruce is grey, same as your kitties. I love grey animals!

• debbie_z2
    15 years ago

I guess that is my problem then...they are not planted near the house....darn:(
    Deb

• prairierose
    15 years ago

For some reason, daffodils do really well at my place. They aren't close to the house, just here and there in my big flower bed. I do tend to plant them close to roses or big rocks, and then I mulch with a lot of straw in the fall, so maybe that helps. I have assorted varieties for several years and the clumps get bigger every year. (But I still can't grow corn for the life of me)

Connie

• Laurie_z3_MB
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Connie, I'm sure mulching with straw is a huge factor in their success away from the house. I also think that it depends on the variety as well for hardiness. Mind you, with the global warming happening, maybe daffodils will enjoy any place in my yard soon.

• debbie_z2
    15 years ago

When I drove up to the house today, I just about died laughing...look at what is blooming in my one flowerbed!?!

{{gwi:703719}}
    I planted these daffs two years ago and nothing came up...and the really funny thing is, they are coming up here and there, a minimum 10ft away from the original planting hole? what's up with that??! at any rate, I can't believe this, but I can grow daffodils! (even if it takes 2yrs for them to show up:)
    Debbie...

• Laurie_z3_MB
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Congrats Debbie! What a welcome sight for you to come home to. I've heard of people saying that their daffodils have not come up at all one year, and then poof, they show up a year or more later. Makes for a nice surprise.;0)

• Crazy_Gardener
    15 years ago

Congrats Debbie, fall planted bulbs will sometimes do that.

We can grow Daffs in zone 2!

Glad to see you joining us in the Gallery ;)

Sharon

• debbie_z2
    15 years ago

Thanks Laurie & Sharon...kinda silly to be all excited over "a" flower, but it was extra special to see this ones sunny face:) Deb

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH