Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pudge2b

Spring&Summer 2008 Birds

Pudge 2b
16 years ago

I had a huge flock of Purple Finches descend on the yard over the weekend - I estimated about 350. They hung around for a couple of days, emptying the feeders in no time flat. Now about 50 still remain. Here's what the arbor looked like over the weekend.

{{gwi:703735}}

{{gwi:703736}}

Comments (19)

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Wow, Pudge, that is sooo cool! I can't say that I've ever seen one, but that flock is amazing. This morning we had a flock of around 100 robins on the front lawn. I tried getting a few pictures, but none of them really turned out very well. But it was nice while it lasted.:0)

• debbie_z2
    16 years ago

Oh my, what a sight that is!! I've never seen them before either, but are they ever pretty!
    I could take a pic of a whole whack of crows though....(not!:)
    Debbie

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Pudge! You're hogging the darn birds! That's why there's none at my feeders! Nice pics BTW ;0)

• xtreme_gardener
    16 years ago

Looks like they're making up for lost time this spring! I still haven't had a single finch at my feeder all winter/spring. Big difference from last year.
    Nice shots, Pudge :)

• Konrad___far_north
    16 years ago

This is just amazing!....lovely shots!
    I have never ever seen this many together.
    You're sooo...lucky!

Guess what...today, I have seen one lonely Redpoll at the feeder....not sure if she's sick or just wants to hang around a bit longer? Also, one lonely male Purple Finch, this guy was singing sooo...nicely high up on the tree.
    Some Juncos have seen, they are around for about 2 weeks now.
    Konrad
    {{gwi:703737}}

{{gwi:703738}}

• xtreme_gardener
    15 years ago

Nice close up of the redpoll Konrad :)
    I saw a fleeting glimpse of Junco tail feathers a couple days ago, too, and a White crowned sparrow. Although neither were at the feeders. Oh and I think a killdeer today...or something similar.
    No sign of swans yet...boo hoo :( They're always the highlight of spring arrivals for me.
    Maybe they're waiting for this nasty storm to pass. We went from thunder and lightening to hail yesterday to sleet and now snow today! Ahhhh, springtime in the Far North!

• ginger57
    15 years ago

I think Pudge is hogging all the pretty ones too. I have had a couple at my feeders but nothing like this. WOW

• Pudge 2b
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Most of them are gone now, but there's still a couple dozen females and maybe 6 males hanging around.

I don't care to have *that* many birds at the feeders. They get too frantic, somehow, and inevitably some hit the window when there's such large groups. Plus they really pooped up the arbor. And for some reason those purple finches had a lot of purple poop. What's up with that?

Today the White Throated Sparrows arrived, singing so beautifully. There are also House Finches and Pine Siskin, Juncos and White Crowned Sparrows. I haven't seen a Warbler or Gold Finch yet, though.

• northspruce
    15 years ago

Yesterday I saw an flock of 15 yellow headed blackbirds. I have never seen a flock that big of all the same blackbird, there were no redwings and no solid black ones. Very pretty!

• prairierose
    15 years ago

Yesterday I saw a huge flock of snow geese in a field. There must have been 100-200 of them - it was awesome.

Connie

• Pudge 2b
    Original Author
    15 years ago

A couple of years ago, DH & I were out for a birding/photography drive. We went down an old road and came upon really large sloughs on either side of the road and full of reeds & cattails, where blackbirds like to nest. There were hundreds of Yellow Headed Blackbirds and they were all singing/chirping. On the other side, in the other slough, were a lot of Redwing Blackbirds and they were also singing. The combination of sight and sound was absolutely incredible.

This morning I hear the Purple Martins - looks like the neighbor raised his Martin house and they found it immediately.

• valleyrimgirl
    15 years ago

Just a few minutes ago I saw a yellow Goldfinch. I was in the greenhouse and he was in the tree watching me, scolding me for not having the niger seed out for him. So, I refilled the niger seed birdfeeders and got my camera out. Hope to get a picture of him later. I just love their singing. Now, that is a sure sign of spring!

Anyone seen hummingbirds back yet?

Brenda

• xtreme_gardener
    15 years ago

No hummingbirds here yet. A couple shots to share...maybe someone could confirm whether this is a Gray-crowned Rosy Finch?
    {{gwi:703739}}
    And a flock of Mallards and Northern Pintails hung around for a few days last week.
    {{gwi:703741}}
    I've really been enjoying the birds singing around the place this past week, especially the Red winged Blackbirds. The swans never did show up in the fields here, but we did see three at a nearby beaver dam, so that was a treat :)

• savona
    15 years ago

Love your pictures Pudge!
    Konrad I still ahave a few red polls around here too.
    Toots it looks like the illustration in my bird book of a grey-crowned Rosy Finch. Your other picture of the geese and mallards is lovely.
    Our first male hummingbird arrived here in Vanderhoof April 27th.There are 2 of them here now, of course squabbling and chasing each other from the feeder..lol.. I did manage to get a picture of some White-crowned Sparrows the other day but missed the opportunity to take a picture of some warblers...savona
    White-Crowned Sparrows
    {{gwi:703743}}

• xtreme_gardener
    15 years ago

Nice, Savona, those sparrows always look so smartly dressed :)

• Pudge 2b
    Original Author
    15 years ago

A Rose Breasted Grosbeak arrived again this year (5 days later than last year's arrival of May 9) - they are such beauties. DH was able to get a nice shot of him

{{gwi:703745}}

• xtreme_gardener
    15 years ago

Fabulous shot! You can really see the markings...thank your DH for me :)

• north53 Z2b MB
    15 years ago

I've been enjoying all the bird pictures in this thread. I love that Rose Breasted Grosbeak, Pudge. It's always a rare treat to see one here.
    This week I saw the first American Goldfinch of the season. The Harris sparrows are quite plentiful right now, along with the white crowned and white throated. The bird songs have been quite lovely.

• Konrad___far_north
    15 years ago

Great shooting everybody!
    No hummers yet, or Rose BR. Grosbeak...nice shot pudge!
    Tree swallows is hot right now and several boxes are in nesting mode.
    Had a unusual Purple Finch male courtship dance photographed, thread below.
    Konrad
    {{gwi:703747}}
    {{gwi:703748}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Purple Finch

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery