Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
echoes_or

Sharing my State - Oregon USA

echoes_or
17 years ago

I've been a lurker and sometimes poster on this board so thought I might share some of the area I live in.This area was shaped by volcanic activity so the soils are pumice and needs lots of admendments to even get anything to take hold, thankfully my yard has had some type of gardening since the 1930's so I got a boost and didn't have to start from the beginning. Our short growing seasons and high elevations closley relates to yours. So please enjoy a taste of my Oregon. Not often I get good pictures reflecting my side of the state, most reflect the western side which is totally different.

{{gwi:704177}}

Paulina and East Lakes just north of me. You can see how the volcanic activity shaped the area.

{{gwi:704179}}

Tumalo Falls just west of Bend, Oregon.

{{gwi:704182}}

The Painted Hills near Mitchell Oregon. These hills are beautiful and these pictures do not do them justice.

{{gwi:704185}}

Alkali Lake near Christmas Valley, Oregon. This is south to southeast of me. Maybe a little over an hour away.

{{gwi:704188}}

Smith Rock north of Bend, Oregon. Hugely famous rock climbing area. Very craggy and again the picture doesn't give the true story.

{{gwi:704193}}

Lave Butte - shows the volcanic formations that abound in my area.

{{gwi:704197}}

Balloon event over Bend, Oregon. This is the largest town near me.

{{gwi:704200}}

Wild horses on the Alvord Desert east of me. These pictures were taken from a ultra light plane. Almost makes me want to try one out - almost!

Comments (13)

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

Wonderful place and great photos Echoes!

DH and I always say if we ever win a lotto will be moving to Oregon ;)

Thanks for sharing your beautiful state with us!

Sharon

• sazzyrose
    17 years ago

Beautiful. What more can I say.

• northspruce
    17 years ago

Thanks for the pics Echoes, wow what an incredible place! Those cones look like they were volcanoes yesterday. The alkali lake doesn't look like a good place for gardening though ;0)

You know you are always welcome to post here when you get sick of lurking!

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Breath-taking pictures Echoes! What a beautiful place you live in......it's definitely on my list of places to see now. Thanks so much for posting those.

Laurie

• savona
    17 years ago

I was born and spent my first 13 years on the "western" side of the state..but enjoyed the fall times when my family would go deer hunting in "eastern" Oregon around the Bend area..I remember the lovely fall days and super cold nights while camping..great photos Echos..savona

• Konrad___far_north
    17 years ago

This is absolutely beautiful what nature has created!
    Thanks for sharing these great pictures with us!
    Konrad

• alalbertaz2b
    17 years ago

Beautiful pictures from a beautiful state!! Thank you for sharing them.

Cheers Al

• garden_chicken
    17 years ago

Such a wonderfully varied landscape, one would never run out of places to explore. Looks like you've seen a fair bit of it!
    It's nice to hop on a plane and travel to exotic places but there is so much to see right outside our back door, and most people don't even know it.
    Oregon is on our list of places to see (we still have Nunavut & Quebec to get to here), in particular I'd like to get to Roseburg. Apparently it was named after my great-great grandfather.

Thanks for sharing your photos!

• vrie
    17 years ago

Echoes, those are beautiful! Isn't it wonder ful to be able to go a different direction and see somehting different each time!

On Roseburg- I have a friend there. What was really nice was the hour to crater lake while we were waiting for him to get off work one time we went to visit.

I'm sure everyone here agrees that we all want to spend the next 20 years driving around and seeing all the beautiful details of everyone's places! I know I could spend ages just from the pacific to the rockies!

• xtreme_gardener
    17 years ago

Wow Echoes! My favorite pic is of the Painted Hills! Thanks for sharing! Definately looks like an Oregon road trip should be on the agenda.
    Toots

• CrazyDaisy_68
    17 years ago

Breathtaking! WOW! Thank you so much for sharing these fantastic pictures. You sure do live in a beautiful area.

Ang

• echoes_or
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Weird that two of you mentioned Roseburg.... I came over to the eastside from the Roseburg area.... My family helped settle the Lookingglass Valley just west of Roseburg about 7 miles.... No that area well..

• Pudge 2b
    16 years ago

Simply breathtaking. I've always wanted to get in one of those hot air balloons and go for a ride.

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH