Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First Bloom of 2007 Season!

Posted by plantaddict487 Zone 2b MB CDA (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 19, 07 at 16:01

Hi folks,

This photo was taken yesterday afternoon after work. As you can see it is in full sun and none of the garden debris has been removed but that didn't stop these little guys. They look white but are actually a very pale mauve which I wasn't able to capture due to the sun. If I had
waited for some shade, they would have closed up so this is as good as it gets for a photo.

Anyhow, these little guys have been in the garden since the mid 80s and over the years their numbers have decreased as the garden size has increased so they look a wee bit lost in there. In fact, I almost missed them if I hadn't been looking for them.

So, the 2007 bloom season has arrived here in SW MB.

BJ in SW MB (doing the happy dance of spring!)

Here is a link that might be useful: crocus photo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First Bloom of 2007 Season!

Those are very pretty BJ! I'm also doing the happpy dance, as today was my first bloom of the season.

Here's my first ever crocus:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

It won't be long before we're getting our weekly thread going of what's blooming. I can hardly wait! :0)

Laurie

o

Ooh! Thanks for sharing your photos! Right now I'm sitting & looking out the window at the s*** falling (white rain I like to call it at this time of year... who am I kidding?) so these little flowers are such a nice treat!

o

Mine started blooming today as well. They look like yours Laurie. Are yours called Romance? Teeny Tiny aren't they?
Shelley

o

Shelley, I don't know the name of these. I picked up a package last fall at McFayden's, and they were just labeled Snow Crocus Mixed, so I'm hoping for a variety of colours. Yes, they are teeny tiny, but at this time of year, I'll take just about any kind of flower......except dandelions that is!lol

GC, I sure feel for you guys out in Alberta. Not very nice weather for this time of year. We've been really lucky in Manitoba, the last week has been beautiful, and according to my thermometer, it hasn't gone below freezing the last few nights, and we've had highs around +20. But of course that could change in an instant.

o

Very nice gals, mine should be blooming any day now too.

Sharon

o

Pushkinias are now strutting their stuff. These have been around for years and are getting overcrowded. I think I should dig some of them out of there!

Enjoy!

BJ in SW MB

Here is a link that might be useful: Pushkinias 21 April 2007

o

My striped scilla (puschkinia) are a few days behind yours 'cause they are south of the greenhouse. They are just pushing out of the mulch.

Is yours next to your house, BJ?

My glory-of-the-snow (chionodoxa) are blooming now. Missed taking a picture today, they are closed now. Didn't realize that they were open already.

Brenda

o

Those are all so pretty, BJ and Laurie. My crocuses just showed up the other day, I guess I will have to wait a few days for any blooms :0( Spring has been so late this year! The ground's still frozen in parts of my yard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here