Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
north53zone2b

wildflower trip

north53 Z2b MB
17 years ago

My first wildflower expedition of the season. The field was full of prairie crocus. First pic is early blue violet.

{{gwi:704447}}

{{gwi:704450}}

{{gwi:704452}}

{{gwi:704455}}

Comments (28)

• SeaOtterCove
    17 years ago

Great pictures! I am so jealous, we have very little blooming here and nothing in the bush yet. A field full of the crocus would be beautiful.

Syreeta

• northspruce
    17 years ago

Beautiful pictures! I was at the dog park today where our local prairie crocuses are, but I didn't see any yet.

• Konrad___far_north
    17 years ago

All very beautiful and captured soo...well!!
    Konrad

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

Nature is beautiful! Great photos!

• north53 Z2b MB
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I was out Sunday morning on another wildflower trip. I hope it's okay to post a few pics even though they're not gardening related.
    {{gwi:704458}}
    This was the most exciting discovery as it's quite rare. It was a first for me. It is the Ram's-head lady slipper.
    {{gwi:704461}}
    Calypso orchids
    {{gwi:704463}}
    Striped coral root orchid
    {{gwi:704466}}
    A large clump of hoary puccoon

• cailinriley
    17 years ago

Swoooooon! Those are all wonderful photos!! Please say you have more!!!

• northspruce
    17 years ago

Oh my! Beautiful!!! What nature can come up with. Are you sure you weren't in the houseplants section at Home Depot? LOL Just kidding. Keep them coming, and of course you can post wildflowers.

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Awesome! Keep 'em comin'!!

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

houseplants section at Home Depot? LOL, Gil, you're a card!

They are amazing photo and plants north53!
    Where abouts do you live do have such beauty around you?

Sharon

• north53 Z2b MB
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have been very fortunate to be included in these wildflower outings, and to find the beauty right under my nose. The orchids are not showy plants; you could walk right by them, but once you notice them, you get to appreciate how delicate and charming they are. A new addiction for me!
    I live in north/central Manitoba. All these plants were found growing just a few feet from the highway. I've lived here my whole life and only now have discovered these wonderful plants.
    All credit for the photos goes to the digital camera.
    I'll leave you with another simple flower, the blue columbine.
    {{gwi:704470}}

• leo_prairie_view
    17 years ago

Thanks for the beautiful pictures. I was surprised by the blue violet, around her all we see is the white Canada violet. We used to have lots of hoary puccoon but the farmers and the municipality have been doing to much scraping and mowing of the ditches and we don't see them anymore.
    Leo

• hunnerbun
    17 years ago

Hope you don't mind if I add a few pics to this thread. These are certainly not as exotic as your photos but they were nice to see in bloom.
    I took the dogs out to Paint Lake Park today and this is what I found in the woods.

Wild Columbine
    {{gwi:704473}}

Wild roses...
    {{gwi:704476}}

Back of wild rose
    {{gwi:704478}}

Rose buds
    {{gwi:704480}}

Bluebells
    {{gwi:704482}}

Small white globelike flower...anyone ID this one?
    {{gwi:704483}}

A pastoral scene...
    {{gwi:704484}}

A couple of wild animals I found tearing down the above path....full of twigs and leaves...hehe
    {{gwi:704485}}

• cailinriley
    17 years ago

You get to take walks in the nicest places! Thanks for adding these great photos. I hope those two wild animals followed you home...they look ferocious, what with those teeth and all, but you could probably tame them!

• north53 Z2b MB
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here's a few pics from today's trip into a bog. It was quite a bright sunny day, not the best conditions for photography, but great for us.
    {{gwi:704486}}
    Heart leafed Alexander, slightly out of focus.
    {{gwi:704487}}
    Showy lady slipper
    {{gwi:704488}}
    The wild roses are just beautiful right now.
    {{gwi:704489}}
    Pitcher plant
    {{gwi:704490}}
    The bottom of the pitcher plant.
    {{gwi:704492}}
    The dragon mouth orchid

• north53 Z2b MB
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I forgot to include the round leaved orchid. This is the only reasonably clear picture I could get of them though.
    {{gwi:704494}}

• cailinriley
    17 years ago

All those great flowers make up for the mosquitoes, I guess! Lovely photos. Keep them coming!!

• northspruce
    17 years ago

How beautiful! I'm not a complete city slicker but I had no idea how many orchids we have right here in Manitoba. Thanks for posting, they're all amazing!

• mytime
    17 years ago

WOW! What awesome photos of such exotic (to me) flowers.
    Hunnerbun, your noid looks kind of like baneberry. It's difficult for me to judge depth in the photo, so I can't tell how tall the plant is.

Here is a link that might be useful: baneberry link

• ian_bc_north
    17 years ago

The wild orchids are beautiful!
    Here are some of my pictures of wild plants.
    Ian

Bunchberry
    {{gwi:704496}}

Cerastium arvense
    {{gwi:704497}}

QueenÂs cup
    {{gwi:704500}}

Anemone multifida with strawberry behind
    {{gwi:704502}}

DevilÂs club
    {{gwi:704504}}

• north53 Z2b MB
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The bunchberry is one of my favorites. So simple, but beautiful!
    I googled Queen's cup and found its latin name is Clintonia uniflora, and it says its range in from Alaska to California, but it isn't in any of my wildflower books. Another new one for me. I haven't heard of Devil's club either. It's interesting to see what grows in different areas.
    Anemone multifida and Cerastium arvense do grow here also.

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

{{gwi:704507}}

{{gwi:704510}}

Gaillardia aristata
    Blanket Flower

• hunnerbun
    17 years ago

Well I am back from my holidays in Riding Mountain Park. I took some pictures of a few flowers that were along the side of the road heading up to Lake Audy and the Buffalo enclosure.
    I also bought a wildflower ID book so I would know what they were when I posted the pictures!

Thistle...this is the largest thistle I have ever seen. The flower was about 3" in diameter!
    {{gwi:704513}}

Lily, these things were everywhere...even all along the highway on the trip down!
    {{gwi:704516}}

Gallardia, another prolific flower! Now wonder they are called Blanketflowers.
    {{gwi:704518}}

Wild flax
    {{gwi:704521}}

And the only on I couldn't find in my wildflower book...This was about 18" tall and didn't really have a flower per say, just the top bunch of leaves were pink, more like a bract then a flower. I don't know if they would open anymore then this, but these were in large clumps everywhere also.
    {{gwi:704524}}

And we did manage to see 1 lonely buffalo on the trip...he was HUGE! He was right beside us on the side of the road, you could have almost reached out and touched him!
    {{gwi:704527}}

{{gwi:704529}}

• cailinriley
    17 years ago

Always a treat to see additions to this thread.

Hunnerbun, I may be wrong, but I think your pink plant is an Indian Paintbrush (Catilleja miniata). Look at the linked photo and see what you think.

Doris

Here is a link that might be useful: Castilleja miniata

• hunnerbun
    17 years ago

Doris...you are exactly right. I googled the name and found a bunch more pics, and some of them look exactly like those.
    Funny it wasn't in my wildflower book!

• SeaOtterCove
    17 years ago

Great pictures Michele. Love the ones of the buffalo. The only time we see those here is on a farm.

Syreeta

• durtcom
    17 years ago

north53 - Your wildflower pictures are stunning. I have been cruising all the fabulous pictures here in the gallery as I am researching digital cameras. Would you mind telling me what camera you are using?

Thanks - Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: Digital Camera Conversation

• north53 Z2b MB
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Susan, I've been reluctant to respond to your query, since it will require admitting to my total ignorance about cameras. I purchased this camera, a Kodak EasyShare DX7630, simpy because it seemed a decent price at Costco last year. It came with a docking station and rechargeable battery. No research went into the purchase, totally an impulse buy. I was just looking for a basic digital, which I think it is.
    Lots of pictures aren't clear, but many are good. I am still finding it difficult to get decent pictures of white flowers. Sorry I can't be of more help.

• durtcom
    17 years ago

Thanks for the info. I usually impulse buy but am trying a new approach this time... :-) I think you have a good one there. The shots you have in this thread are so vivid and clear.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations