Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valleyrimgirl

Rock Star Iris blooming in my house!

valleyrimgirl
16 years ago

Laurie thought I should post a picture of my Rock Star Iris. So, here it is! It is blooming! I bought it last fall in the clearance sale at McFayden's store here in Brandon. It was too late to plant in the garden so it went on the windowledge in the house all winter.

Just starting to open...

{{gwi:704723}}

half open...

{{gwi:704725}}

almost open...

{{gwi:704728}}

And a fully opened bloom...

{{gwi:704731}}

And I didn't realize how fragrant the irises can be. This one smells wonderful! The blooms only have been lasting 3 days or so. But I am really enjoying them while they lasted. The iris bloomed just in time for me to take it along to Brandon to have at the hort day put on by the Westman Gardeners yesterday!

Brenda

Comments (12)

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

That is so lovely Brenda, I'm going to follow your indoor potting advice if I'm sent any late TB Irises this fall.

I don't see the rhizome, did you cover it?

Sharon

• Konrad___far_north
    16 years ago

This is beautiful Brenda! ..Thanks for sharing!
    Konrad

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

I was lucky enough to see it in person, and what a beauty it is! The scent of it reminds me of grapefruit......it was great! Of course, I've also got Rock Star in a pot from the same sale, but mine is only 2" high.

• valleyrimgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I had bought a few TB irises from the store and planted them all in a row in a windowledge planter. When one started to bloom I transplanted it (while fully in bloom)so that I could bring it to the hort day event on the 14th. I planted it below the surface of the soil so that it would be a little more stable in the pot. I will now expose the rhizome and let the iris recouperate from blooming.

Brenda

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Of course, I've also got Rock Star in a pot from the same sale, but mine is only 2" high.

Yeah but look it Laurie, you have a bigger 'Willy', be proud ;)

• CrazyDaisy_68
    16 years ago

Gorgeous... simply gorgeous!

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Oh Sharon you're soooo bad!LOL

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

What a beauty Brenda. It is on my want list. As you know, I too had Irises growing on my window sill last winter and have yet to see a bloom. But the last month they have put out an amazing amount of growth. So there is hope that some will bloom for me this spring too. I need to get out the fertilizer and give them a shot.??? I have stuck them out into my greenhouse outside to toughen up a bit before being planted outside.
    Shelley

• Pudge 2b
    16 years ago

Brenda, I've read that Iris make good cut flowers and will last a week in a vase (out of the sun) - maybe you can get a little more time of out them. Sure is purdy.

• valleyrimgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Rock Star ended up in having 4 flowers in total. Each of them bloomed 4 days with a few blooms overlapping so I got about 2 weeks of flowering out of it. Not bad for my $3 purchase. Just think...if I would have gone out for coffee I would have spent more than that and only enjoyed my $3 for a few minutes. Whereas here I got to enjoy it already for 2 weeks and again later when it blooms in my garden.

Brenda

• savona
    16 years ago

It is a beauty! And I agree, what a well spent $3..savona

• northspruce
    16 years ago

4 blooms is very good production for a young fan like that! I really like it Brenda, I love pink irises.

Sponsored
Your Source for Tailored Remodeling Solutions in Loudoun County