Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rock Star Iris blooming in my house!

Posted by valleyrimgirl 2b (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 15, 07 at 18:24

Laurie thought I should post a picture of my Rock Star Iris. So, here it is! It is blooming! I bought it last fall in the clearance sale at McFayden's store here in Brandon. It was too late to plant in the garden so it went on the windowledge in the house all winter.

Just starting to open...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

half open...

almost open...

And a fully opened bloom...

And I didn't realize how fragrant the irises can be. This one smells wonderful! The blooms only have been lasting 3 days or so. But I am really enjoying them while they lasted. The iris bloomed just in time for me to take it along to Brandon to have at the hort day put on by the Westman Gardeners yesterday!

Brenda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rock Star Iris blooming in my house!

That is so lovely Brenda, I'm going to follow your indoor potting advice if I'm sent any late TB Irises this fall.

I don't see the rhizome, did you cover it?

Sharon

o

This is beautiful Brenda! ..Thanks for sharing!
Konrad

o

I was lucky enough to see it in person, and what a beauty it is! The scent of it reminds me of grapefruit......it was great! Of course, I've also got Rock Star in a pot from the same sale, but mine is only 2" high.

o

I had bought a few TB irises from the store and planted them all in a row in a windowledge planter. When one started to bloom I transplanted it (while fully in bloom)so that I could bring it to the hort day event on the 14th. I planted it below the surface of the soil so that it would be a little more stable in the pot. I will now expose the rhizome and let the iris recouperate from blooming.

Brenda

o

Of course, I've also got Rock Star in a pot from the same sale, but mine is only 2" high.

Yeah but look it Laurie, you have a bigger 'Willy', be proud ;)

o

Gorgeous... simply gorgeous!

o

Oh Sharon you're soooo bad!LOL

o

What a beauty Brenda. It is on my want list. As you know, I too had Irises growing on my window sill last winter and have yet to see a bloom. But the last month they have put out an amazing amount of growth. So there is hope that some will bloom for me this spring too. I need to get out the fertilizer and give them a shot.??? I have stuck them out into my greenhouse outside to toughen up a bit before being planted outside.
Shelley

o

• Posted by pudge 2/3 Sask (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 24, 07 at 17:53

Brenda, I've read that Iris make good cut flowers and will last a week in a vase (out of the sun) - maybe you can get a little more time of out them. Sure is purdy.

o

Rock Star ended up in having 4 flowers in total. Each of them bloomed 4 days with a few blooms overlapping so I got about 2 weeks of flowering out of it. Not bad for my $3 purchase. Just think...if I would have gone out for coffee I would have spent more than that and only enjoyed my $3 for a few minutes. Whereas here I got to enjoy it already for 2 weeks and again later when it blooms in my garden.

Brenda

o

• Posted by savona z2bBCCanada (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 25, 07 at 15:20

It is a beauty! And I agree, what a well spent $3..savona

o

4 blooms is very good production for a young fan like that! I really like it Brenda, I love pink irises.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here