Houzz Logo Print
sazzyrose

Garden Pics- Week of May 20

sazzyrose
16 years ago

A new week of blooms.

{{gwi:704933}}

{{gwi:704935}}

Species Tulip Little Beauty. Lovely coloring and she is multi-flowering.

{{gwi:704937}}

Candy Club Tulip. I thought they would have more pink.

{{gwi:704939}}

Dwarf Artic Iris

{{gwi:704941}}

Cranesbill-Wargrave Pink

{{gwi:704943}}

Cranesbill Purple Pillows

{{gwi:704945}}

Creeping Phlox- this plant is over 20 years old.

That is it for now.

Shelley

Comments (26)

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Lookin good Shelley, I like the colours on that species tulip too!

Here are some more of mine... lots of white in the garden this week

Solomon's Seal (or False S.S.? anyone know?)
    {{gwi:704946}}

Lilies of the Valley... mmmmm so stinky.
    {{gwi:704948}}

Anenomes - again
    {{gwi:704951}}

A later tulip
    {{gwi:702704}}

And Alyssum saxatile. This is the first year it has bloomed. I think I would like it better if it wasn't exactly the same colour as dandelions >:0/ But it smells pretty!
    {{gwi:704953}}

• durtcom
    16 years ago

Hope everyone had a nice long weekend. It started raining here yesterday afternoon and continued all day today. I did manage to get a few pictures before the wet weather set in.

Bleeding Heart:
    {{gwi:704955}}

Crabapple:
    {{gwi:704958}}

'Macro' Forget-Me-Not:
    {{gwi:704961}}

Susan

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Very nice gals!

Gil, wow, nice patch, it looks like Smilacina stellata (Star-flowered False Solomon's Seal).

Sharon

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Love everyone's pictures! It's been a cold, dreary weekend here, but that seems pretty typical for May long. We had a yard sale on saturday, and there were a few flakes of sn** coming down. Oh well, it's not the first time I had to dig out my long underwear for the yard sale!LOL

Here's what's managed to bloom through the cold weather:

Dora Bielefeld pulmonaria
    {{gwi:704964}}

2 different lamiums getting cozy together.
    {{gwi:704969}}

Don't know the name of these lily tulips, but I like 'em!
    {{gwi:704972}}

Purple Sensation alliums
    {{gwi:704976}}

Bleeding Heart
    {{gwi:704980}}

The Thunderchild crab was a bit disappointing this year, as last year it was just smothered in flowers.
    {{gwi:704984}}

A closer shot of the best flowering branch.
    {{gwi:704987}}

I'm thrilled that my Japanese painted fern has come back with more than 2 fronds for a change.
    {{gwi:704990}}

And after whining that my epimedium was taking forever to come up, now it's blooming......talk about quick!
    {{gwi:704992}}

MDB Flirty Eye has it's first bloom.
    {{gwi:699662}}

This must be an historic iris, because it came from my parents-in-law's farm. A very tough and reliable iris, and I love how the buds look almost black. Too bad I don't know the name.
    {{gwi:704994}}

Close up.
    {{gwi:704996}}

Laurie

• sierra_z2b
    16 years ago

Hey, how come you got iris bloomin' already? Mine are still short and I don't see a bloom on a one yet...and I did check yesterday.

In my garden its tulip season!

{{gwi:704998}}

{{gwi:705000}}

{{gwi:705002}}

{{gwi:705004}}

{{gwi:705006}}

{{gwi:705008}}

{{gwi:705010}}

Enjoy,
    Sierra

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Sierra, your pictures always make me drool uncontrollably!lol But really, I LOVE that second pic of the white ones. Do you have a name for those?

Don't tell me that I'm going to have to send you a video on how to do the iris dance, am I? ;^)

• CrazyDaisy_68
    16 years ago

WOW great pictures everyone!

Here's what's new & blooming in my gardens
    {{gwi:705012}}
    This tulip came up out of no where and has different colouring then the other two that I have. Hmmmmm! LOL

{{gwi:705014}}
    This patch of Dwarf Irises are doing fantastic but my Standard Irises in another flowerbed are not doing so well (and have suspicious "dents" in the soil behind the patch.... Hmmmmm!)

{{gwi:705016}}
    I am wondering if this is the same as what Gil has? Star-flowered False Solomon's Seal??

{{gwi:705017}}
    This is some type of Spurge (?) that I got from a friend last fall. Not sure of the name.

{{gwi:705018}}
    This is Argyranthemum "Vanilla Butterfly" that I planted in a container yesterday. I totally LOVE this creamy colour!

{{gwi:705019}}
    Here's what I ended up doing with my "railing" containers. Mostly Impatiens, some Lobelia (fingers crossed on that one), some Ivy and some Silver Nettle Vine.

{{gwi:705020}}
    A foliage container I put together yesterday -- hoping it will fill in nicely.

I did a few more containers yesterday too so hopefully they will all fill in nicely!

Ang

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Ang, that looks the same as my False Solomon's Seal (thanks for clarifying that Sharon). I looked up the difference and real S.S. has paired flowers all down the stalk, not a bunch at the end like F.S.S. I like your railing containers, they're going to look great!

Sierra, I really like that white & green tulip too, do tell. Laurie, that sure is a nice black/purple iris!

• sierra_z2b
    16 years ago

Laurie, I don't think drool is good for your keyboard.... :)

Those white tulips have been in my garden for years....this year they seem to have more green colour in them. All my records say is double late tulips. There was 25 white and 25 yellow. The yellows I posted a pic of last week. They are very fragrant as well.

Well you might have to teach me that iris dance...but from previous years....the iris in my garden don't bloom for at least another month. There are lots of leaves and they are looking good so far.

My new garden bed has room for several more iris. hee hee.

Sierra

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have been eyeing up a white tulip with a green streak running through them called Spring Green Viridiflora Tulip.
    Could it be possible that this is what they are?

Check out the link from Botanus.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spring Green Viridiflora Tulip

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

"Laurie, I don't think drool is good for your keyboard...."

Don't I know it!!LOL

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

A couple more irises blooming today(sorry Sierra!)

First bloom on SDB Dragon's Den, and it polyed too. I wonder if this will be a common thing for this iris?
    {{gwi:705021}}

And this one I got from Brenda, who says she's given away loads of it to friends, so I've named it Brenda's Friendship iris.
    {{gwi:705022}}

There should be a couple more blooming irises in a day or two. The MDB's are done, except for French Wine, which is in bud, and the SDB's are getting into the act now.:)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    16 years ago

Shelley, i have "Spring Green" but it hasn't bloomed yet this year. I'm just going to post some pictures here so if it happens to be on Photobucket still, i'll add it here.

Things are still pretty slow in my yard with very little blooming yet. Also, my camera keeps telling me that my batteries are low even though they've been charged, so i haven't been taking as many pictures as i would otherwise. Do rechargeable batteries eventually run out? Bummer!

Here's "Spring Green" - found it right away:
    {{gwi:705024}}

Here's the new crabapple tree - a birthday gift from my kids:
    {{gwi:705026}}

More blooms on the Pulsatilla:
    {{gwi:705028}}

This bleeding heart always grows and blooms really quickly:
    {{gwi:705030}}

Tiarella 'Spring Symphony':
    {{gwi:705032}}

Sambucus 'Sutherland Gold'. I think i planted this too close to the house.
    {{gwi:705034}}

Here's everything still in the cold frame, waiting for spring!
    {{gwi:705036}}

And the containers all grouped together behind the cold frame so that they can be tarped all together on cold nights:
    {{gwi:705038}}

This is a weird year. Spring seems to come and go. It's apparently going again this weekend. My annuals are going to burst their containers! :O

• sierra_z2b
    16 years ago

Laurie,
    "A couple more irises blooming today(sorry Sierra!)"

Okay, LOL!!! ....if you have any more iris that bloom before mine bloom......you have to send them all to me. Or maybe just send me some warm weather......there was a heavy frost last night......and even the fountains couldn't be turned on this morning, they were full of ice.

---------------

The spring green tulips look like singles to me.....the ones I have are doubles.

Sierra

• savona
    16 years ago

ohhhh..what a bunch of lovely spring flowers everyone! Yep it was cold when I went to check the greenhouse stove at 5 am this moring it was -2 and the grass was frosty..that was the 5th morning in a row we had frost..enough is enough!
    New asiatic lilies this year potted in the greenhouse
    Grande Cru
    {{gwi:705040}}
    Cola
    {{gwi:705042}}
    mesembryanthemum "apricote tutu"
    {{gwi:705044}}
    double petunia baskets..a little slower then last year but coming along
    {{gwi:705046}}
    Lisianthus- echos mix in my plant room in the house..almost to bloom..so excited and cant wait
    {{gwi:705048}}
    Polar Bear willow leafing out
    {{gwi:705050}}
    and a few tulips
    {{gwi:705052}}
    {{gwi:705054}}
    {{gwi:705055}}
    savona

• verenap
    16 years ago

Well here are my pics for the week. I finally get to join in the fun!

A bleeding heart
    {{gwi:705056}}

Columbine (Playing with my macro :o)
    {{gwi:705057}}

Brayden helping me weed
    {{gwi:705058}}

Me and 'the bump' working on the fence (can't wait until it's all done!)
    {{gwi:705059}}

And then this morning...
    {{gwi:705061}}
    Saskatoons and lilies (6" under)
    {{gwi:705063}}
    The south flowerbed
    {{gwi:705064}}
    My poor martagons
    {{gwi:705065}}
    Everything back in the sunroom until all this S*** melts.
    {{gwi:705066}}

Well that's my fun for the week.

Verena

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Me and 'the bump' working on the fence (can't wait until it's all done!)

Are you talking about the bump or the fence, Verena ?LOL

I can't believe the snow that you have. I feel for your plants too. Hope it melts fast.

Shelley

• prairierose
    16 years ago

I wondered if you got it too, Verena. It doesn't look like as much as I got up on my hill, but still way too much. It's just plain old nasty for this time of year.
    Connie

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Wow Savona, look at the size of your baskets already, great job!

Verena, you're little guy is sure getting big, send him over here when he's finished weeding for you. What a cute house, are you building a picket fence?
    BTW, you sure got alot of *white* mold in your garden! ;)

Sharon

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Ugh, you got it too Verena... poor you. I was thinking the same thing as Sharon, Brayden's getting so big! What a cutie. :0)

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

{{gwi:705067}}
    Cerastium alpinum lanatum Wooly Cerastium

{{gwi:705069}}
    Phlox subulata 'Scarlet Flame'

{{gwi:699919}}
    Rhodiola rosea Rose Root

{{gwi:705072}}
    Lewisia 'Little Plum'

{{gwi:705074}}
    ORANGE DAQUARI SDB

{{gwi:705076}}
    AUTUMN JESTER SDB

{{gwi:705078}}
    BEING BUSY SDB

Enjoy!
    Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: More Spring Photos

• verenap
    16 years ago

Nice pics everyone!

Shelly, I was talking about the fence, but there are days... ;o)

Sharon, my little weeder-in-training is available on a 'work-for-plants' basis...but unfortunately there is no warranty for his work ;o)

Well our 'white mold' is all gone now, and today I was out painting the pickets for the fence. They're pretty fancy...a special spear head that takes 6 cuts and a bunch of sanding for each one...DH "It's a good thing I love you 'cause I'd tell anyone else to go..." ;o)

I'll post pictures when they're done and up. When it's all finished there will be flowerbeds on both sides of the fence all the way along, an arbor over the gate, and a 16'X8' deck at the front door (the cotoneaster is getting pulled). The house may be cute now, but you should have seen it when we bought it 3 years ago. The eves that were there were hanging off, it had old white (dented, paint dripped) aluminum siding, broken and cracked windows with rotten/peeling trim, and half of the seals gone, and a leaky roof. It's sure been fun seeing the results of all the work we've been putting into it (siding, roof and windows thanks to the hail storm last year :o) One of these day's I'll dig out an old photo from the first year we where here.

Verena

• prairierose
    16 years ago

Verena, your house and yard look great. It's amazing the difference TLC and sweat make, isn't it? Brayden looks like a real sweetie.

Connie

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Hey Sharon, nice patch eh? That was just a a little bit of it... this stuff gets around. It has a meeting coming up with Mr. Shovel. Just going to knock it back a little and plant something else too.

{{gwi:702491}}

Oh yeah it's all around the corner of the house too.

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Holy toodle Gil!

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh my Gillian. It does look nice planted in a mass though.

Shelley

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions