Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northspruce

Garden Pics - week of May 13

northspruce
16 years ago

I finally have a few to add... my garden is slow this year.

Crabapple tree

Plum Tree

Can't remember what these are called...

I didn't used to like ageratum - but I like this bicolour 'Bavaria Blue' I got from Stokes. It looks like psychedelic velcro.

The only tulips that didn't get eaten by the rabbit >:0(

{{gwi:702706}}

Comments (24)

• sierra_z2b
    16 years ago

Very pretty Northspruce.

Here is what is blooming here......

{{gwi:706950}}

{{gwi:706952}}

{{gwi:706954}}

{{gwi:706957}}

{{gwi:706961}}

the little guys
    {{gwi:706964}}

{{gwi:706967}}

{{gwi:706972}}

Blooming but not in the garden
    {{gwi:706975}}

osteo planter
    {{gwi:706977}}

{{gwi:706980}}

enjoy,
    Sierra

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    16 years ago

Which osteospermum is that, Sierra? Very pretty!

Things have also been fairly slow here. Maybe this rain will perk 'em up! Pulsatilla - its parent plant was blooming two weeks ago in Thunder Bay:

The pulmonaria is slowly blooming:

I'm not sure what this little flower is. It was planted last fall and i can't find mention of it in my records:

The Nanking cherry is in full bloom. I wish they'd last for more than a week.
    {{gwi:701249}}

Lamium aureum - the only one of my lamiums to come through the winter really well.

Snowdrops - brightening up the otherwise dull white bed:

Red and white petunias:

Yellow hyacinth (City of Haarlem):

I've never had any luck winter sowing alliums. Makes a person wonder why:

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

I just love your flowering trees girls.
    This is what is blooming new this week.

{{gwi:707002}}
    Muscari- Valerie Finnis

{{gwi:707004}}
    Zavina is starting to bless me with blooms.

{{gwi:707006}}
    Sara is still blooming. Her coloring is getting to be a bit more peach. Not new, but she is changing.

{{gwi:707008}}
    Bleeding Heart Bacchanal

{{gwi:707010}}
    Bleeding Heart Luxuriant

{{gwi:707012}}
    I have one lone one of these tulips left. Anyone know what kind it is?

{{gwi:707014}}
    Tulip Maytime. Now this is what I am talking about. I want more lily tulips next year.

{{gwi:707016}}
    Gaura. I just put some of these into pots this morning. I have high expectations for this one.

Shelley

• valleyrimgirl
    16 years ago

Gillian, the white flowers with the nodding heads are called anemone. They will self seed so deadhead if you don't want them everywhere.

Nice pictures everyone!

Brenda

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

There's getting to be more and more colour in the gardens as the weeks go by. Love it!

Here's what I've got,

A different type of creeping phlox compared to the one that was blooming last week.

I'm sure I planted more than one of this tulip.....not sure where the rest went.
    {{gwi:702743}}

The Double Flowering Plum is in it's full glory. Last year it didn't even have a quarter of this amount of blooms.

And the dwarf irises are coming in now.

Pixie Pirate
    {{gwi:701989}}

April Ballet

Laurie

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

MDB iris 'Grandma's Hat' opened up today.

Laurie

• northspruce
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Beautiful pics everyone! Laurie, I love your dbl plum, it looks like it has grown a lot since last year.

Brenda, thanks for the warning about the anenomes... I think they're already having a bit of a heyday. I'm going to thin them when they're done blooming.

• CrazyDaisy_68
    16 years ago

Great blooms everyone!

Laurie, your 'Grandma's Hat' Iris is gorgeous. The colours are incredible.

Spring has sprung for me too and I'm starting to get alot more colour over the past few days.

Cheerful Johnny's

I just noticed that the Iceland Poppy opened up today. There are buds everywhere so soon it will be a sea of Iceland Poppies again!

I couldn't resist getting a super macro shot of this one because it still looks so perfect!

These opened up on Sunday -- aporpriately on time for Mother's Day! LOL

I'm thinking that this is Solomon's Seal (?) or is it a False Solomon's Seal (?)

Both of my Solomon's Seals have some extra company. I know what is by the other one (a salvia) but this one is a mystery. Does anyone recognize it? Will these be OK this close? I'm thinking that since the SS is a spring plant and the other one is more a summer plant it may be OK but I'm not 100% sure on that!

First time for me to have chives blooming! I love the blooms -- by parents always had this in their gardens when I was growing up. Ahhhh the memories! :)

There are loads of buds on my Dwarf Iris but my other Iris doesn't look too good though. Hopefully it will pull through yet. Also loads of buds on my peony BUT the stocks are only maybe 6-8" tall yet. Hmmmmm..... I'm sure it was usually much taller and fuller before it budded out!

Gotta love this time of year!

Ang

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Love the macro shot of the poppy Ang!

Gillian, yeah, I think the plum has grown a bit too. How's your arm? Do ya think you could throw some of those anenomes Brandon way? Maybe with an east wind.;^) I had a fair size patch of them last year, but this year I'm down to only one plant. That sucks, because they sure are pretty!

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Great photos everyone!

Gil, must be so suprising for you to discover what you have in your new garden, I just love your crab!

Marcia, I think your other unknown is Puschkinia alba?

Laurie, I don't have any blooms on my new Irises that I planted last year, yours are just beautiful!

{{gwi:701043}}
    Muscari armeniacum Grape Hyacinths

Tulip Triumph 'Washington'

Tulipa tarda

Darwin Hybrid Tulip 'Daydream' - this year they are losing their peachiness.

Pulsatilla vulgaris Pasque Flower

{{gwi:701914}}
    Pulsatilla vulgaris Red Clock 'Rode Klokke' - I just love this one, the colour will knock your sock off in person.

{{gwi:707056}}
    Sempervivum arachnoideum 'Cobweb'

{{gwi:707058}}
    Sempervivum ÂGeorgetteÂ

{{gwi:707060}}
    Sempervivum ÂJungle FiresÂ

Pulmonaria 'Roy Davidson'

Lewisia 'Little Plum' - just starting to bloom.

{{gwi:707063}}
    Phlox subulata 'Scarlet Flame'

{{gwi:699586}}
    Anyone up for fried Fiddleheads?

Happy Gardening!
    Sharon

• valleyrimgirl
    16 years ago

Laurie,

When we were on the Westman Gardeners yard tours last night I should have given you a shovel and you could have dug out as many anemones as you wanted to from my holding garden. If you want some (or a lot), let me know ASAP or they will be zapped with roundup shortly.

Brenda

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    16 years ago

I planted some kind of anemone a couple of years ago and they were no-shows. :(

Sharon, i love that red pulsatilla. I winter sowed some 'rubra' seeds this year but nothing has come up so far. Oh, and that could be a puschkinia - i know i planted them, but some have come up in other places and i didn't notice the way they came up - these ones have a sort of stalk with buds on it and they almost looked like Solomon's Seal at first (before they grew the buds).

• prairierose
    16 years ago

My garden is so behind some of yours! My first hosta just poked through the ground, my biggest peony is 3" tall, and my nanking cherries are just starting to bloom. I'm turning garden-green with envy.
    Connie

• vrie
    16 years ago

I'm afraid to post pics- It's been such a warm spring, everything is almost 2 weeks ahead! I'll come back later and see if I can post-- right now I have to water and weed!

• savona
    16 years ago

You think you are lagging behind Connie..I truly am in zone brr..my first tulip has just opened (well closed up when I took this picture..lol)
    {{gwi:707064}}
    Wallcrest - arabis causica- "snowcap"
    {{gwi:707065}}
    and a couple bloomers in the greenhouse
    salpiglossis

Emilia
    {{gwi:707067}} and a couple in the house
    osteospermum- passion mix
    {{gwi:707069}}
    Dahlia- fireworks
    {{gwi:707071}}
    savona

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

Savona, did you start your osteospermum- passion mix or did you buy them? I tried starting them from seed, but had no luck what so ever.

Shelley

• north53 Z2b MB
    16 years ago

Because of the horrible weather forecast, I thought I'd better take a few pictures of the garden before it freezes.

These tulips are so cheerful. I love them.

Pulmonaria, another favorite for me.

The only Heiler hybrid pulsatilla that is going to bloom for me this year. I hope these will be survivors for my zone.

Most of my tulip clumps diminish in size, then disappear altogether, but this one is doing well.

I'm turning into an orange loving gardener!

• xtreme_gardener
    16 years ago

Sharon, your grape hyacinths look yummy enough to pluck!

Marie, your white/pink tulips look so fresh and light! I love them.

Savona, Emilia looks so unique and the color is very vibrant. Her frills remind me of a 20's flapper grl :^)

OK so this is how far behind I am...talk about your zone brrr.

Chionodoxia (Sorry this is a repeat, but I think it will be a trend with me :^( Its interesting to compare bloom times anyhoo.)
    {{gwi:707082}}

Tarda and Darwin tulips have buds but it'll be a bit before they open. Looking at your pics Marie, I'm starting to think I'm in zone 1 and not 1b.

• north53 Z2b MB
    16 years ago

Extreme, I'm not sure if the perennials are emerging earlier than usual or later here. We had a very early and extremely deep snow cover this winter, so that probably affected how deep the frost went. There's also the spring weather that would influence the growth rate of emerging perennials. But judging from pictures and complaints of other gardeners across the country we seem to have fared quite well.
    I haven't kept track of when the tulips start blooming. (The tulip tardas in my picture are almost finished now) I am always just excited to see anything coming up in the spring.
    Marie

• savona
    16 years ago

Shelley I started the osteospermum from seed on Feb 11..I got my seed from T+M. It was a packet of 10 seeds which only had 9 seeds in it, out of that 6 seeds germinated. One seed was a "bad" seed and was growing contorted so it got plucked. The seeds started to germinate on the 15th, four days later. I was hoping for at least 8 out of 10 seeds to sprout but will do them again because I am quite happy over the colour mix. A few years ago I was given an older package of "glistening white" osteospermum and it germinated very well that year but the next year I didnt get a single seed to sprout. I surfaced sowed the seeds with just a sprinkling of soiless mix over them and then close to the grow light with plastic wrap over the container to keep the moisture in..savona

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

Awesome pictures everyone.
    Sharon I just love your Lewisia. I had one for about 5 yrs but it never bloomed for me. This spring it is gone.
    Shelley

• durtcom
    16 years ago

Fabulous pictures everyone! I'm trying to add a few more bulbs every year so these photo threads are a great reference but they do make choosing difficult...

These are my first ever daffodils:

Susan

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Susan, love your pink tulips, do you have a name for them?

Sharon

• durtcom
    16 years ago

Sharon - I don't always keep good records but I do keep all my tags/labels and I think that that one is call Menton.

Susan

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!