Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
konrad___far_north

Summer visitors to the yard [part 2]

Konrad___far_north
16 years ago

Red - breasted Nuthatch are busy feeding the kids.

There are 2 to 3 pairs of American Goldfinches around, it looks like they are building a nest somewhere?

They seem to like the undisturbed environment, they love to eat Dandelion seed.

Konrad

Comments (24)

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Oh what beautiful shots Konrad, ever think of working for the National Geographic!

• xtreme_gardener
    16 years ago

I love how you catch the birds so busy doing something. Looks like those nuthatch babies are getting the full meal deal! That's quite a mouthful she/he's got.

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Very nice pics! If a nuthatch ever invites me over for dinner, remind me to say no.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    16 years ago

Konrad, i've been trying to get pictures of the American goldfinch that is around here, but haven't succeeded - not as spectacularly as you have! Thanks for that, and for the information that they like dandelion seeds. I have a good crop here to feed them!

• xtreme_gardener
    16 years ago

Well these were my guests(?) today. Not the most welcome guests, but they didn't stay long anyway :)
    {{gwi:707262}}

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    16 years ago

Ooh boy - you're lucky they DIDN'T stick around! We've been lucky so far this year - usually we have a couple of bear visits during the summer.

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

The little ones look so cute, I don't know about mama bear though, I wouldn't want to face her face to face!
    Toots, is that your fencing around your property!

Sharon

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Aw, they are so cute! But good thing they wandered off. It's good to have some distance from Mama bears.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all!

>> Konrad, ever think of working for the National GeographicAt times, I thought about it, but then, I think it would take more talent.
    It would be a nice retirement job, perhaps? but I'm not planning on it.

Thanks Toots, for sharing your encounter with Bears!....I'm sure, this could bring a little unexpected excitements.
    I'm surprised with your "fencing" too, some other pictures also showed some excellent fencing job, very nice!
    Konrad

• xtreme_gardener
    16 years ago

We raise cattle, hence the page wire and barb wire fencing. The fencing in the bear picture is part of a new area we've cleared and made into our calving pen and weaning pen, so no, its not around the whole property, just the barn yard. We also use it (but taller 8' stuff that deer, moose and elk can't jump) to fence in our hay bales. It makes a long lasting fairly economical fence and is also quick to put up. And the cows don't even think about going over or under when they want to have their calves under that certain tree three miles away!

Yes, those babies were fun to watch! They seem to roll and tumble along behind mama. I haven't seen them again, so hopefully they've moved on.

• xtreme_gardener
    16 years ago

Finally caught a glimpse of the Sapsucker baby. I think there is only one. Looks like he's outgrowing his bedroom.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Cute looking baby!..there could some smaller ones behind this guy.

The Least Flycatcher have fledged, I think about 4 of them.

A yellow Warbler I believe, has visited.

• CrazyDaisy_68
    16 years ago

Spectacular pictures! Very very interesting too I've been really enjoying this and learning lots! Maybe someday I'll actually recognize birds when I see them (besides the magpies...LOL)

Ang

• xtreme_gardener
    16 years ago

Those babies are adorable, Konrad! Great shots.

You're right there was another sapsucker baby in there that was much quieter and left the nest a few days later, too.

There are still babies in the tree swallow nest in the attic, they are taking much longer to leave than the sapsuckers.

Ang, I've been discovering all sorts of new birds just by photographing them, too. Its so much easier to ID them when you can zoom in then look at them on the computer.

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Well I don't know if I can call them visitors, as they were born and raised in my chimney, but the baby Chimney Swifts came down the chimney last night. Chimney swifts in a chimney? Who-da thunk it. They weren't good enough fliers to get up the chimney and escape so we caught them and put them outside and they both flew away. Not happy with us but unharmed. There were only 2 babies.

DH doing the transfer (flowered gardening glove is mine)

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

That's amazing Gillian! They're pretty lucky little guys that you rescued them. Who knows if they would have been able to fly out eventually or not. I'm not sure on the type of the bird, but a few years back, we had found a dead bird in our wood stove. Poor thing, if we had noticed it was there, we could have saved it, but we didn't know it was there until it was time to start up the fire in the fall.

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Oh sheesh, I think what we rescued last night were Mom & Dad, not the babies. This afternoon the babies are still cheeping at the top of their lungs in there. I guess I will have to keep an eye out for anyone else needing help. Mom & Dad must have got on the wrong side of the damper by accident. I can hear when they fly in and out so I will make sure to listen that they're ok and still coming back to their babies today. Hope everyone's ok! :0

Laurie, yes they are lucky I noticed them, I was just going to bed and DH noticed that the cat was going nuts in front of the fireplace, LOL. Maggie found them for us.

• northspruce
    16 years ago

A new theory - another swift showed up in the fireplace today and had to be taken outside. I think there were three babies and the last one left the nest (and got stuck) a day later. This would explain why there was still cheeping today. And there were three eggshells on the floor after they hatched so that makes sense. Darn swifts are lucky I'm a nature lover and don't go on holidays. :

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Ahhh Gil, you did a good deed....you deserve the Rescue Award of Merit!

A few years ago we found a dead bat in our wood stove, poor thing.

Great photos Konrad & Toots!

Sharon

• xtreme_gardener
    16 years ago

Way to go, Gil and DH and Maggie! Feels good, eh?

I know I was worried about the sapsuckers here and our cat because they were really wanting outta the nest and we had to be gone all day the next day so I didn't want to leave the cat locked up that long. Luckily, they waited til the next day though.

Konrad, is that Yellow Warbler missing a tail? Or maybe its a fledgling, too?

Here is a link that might be useful: Chimney Swifts

• savona
    16 years ago

Exciting pictures everyone.We had I believe are Eastern Kingbirds teaching their 2 babies how to fly..They were going from tree to tree down to the fence back and forth,stopping every once in a while to feed the babies. I could have watched them all day
    one of the babies

savona

• xtreme_gardener
    16 years ago

Oh lucky you, Savona! I bet that was fun to watch. Nice photos :)

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all!
    northspruce, thanks for posting your Chimney Swifts!....how nice!
    I never knew of these birds!

Savona, ..just lovely!!

Toots, you have a keen eye!...I never realized that the yellow warbler has no tail!
    I also think that it's a baby.
    Have posted it on the bird watching forum, ones the verdict is out, I'll post it here.
    Konrad

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The male Ruby- throated hummer has a mate!!!
    A late evening shot,..tonight.

A Female Baltimore Oriole

A male Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Konrad

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County