Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazy_gardener

Irises 2007

Crazy_Gardener
16 years ago

Shall we have a seperate album for Irises too ;)

{{gwi:707356}}
DIDGERIDO SDB

{{gwi:707357}}
LITTLE EPISODE SDB

{{gwi:707358}}
ROYAL OVERTIME SDB

{{gwi:707359}}
COUNTING SHEEP SDB

{{gwi:707360}}
GLENWILLOW MDB

{{gwi:707361}}
CANDY APPLE SDB

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: More Irises

Comments (81)

• northspruce
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I think that's KING, I will do some digging about the other one. It rings a bell. Dang girls you have some gorgeous irises!! I'm really liking the reds this year, especially Cranapple and Jungle's Gem. I also love Jilleroo still Brenda, I can't wait till the one you gave me blooms :0) It's growing nicely.

I have a few blooming now, here's AUTUMN CIRCUS (yet to be reclaimed from Mom's house)... this thing is huge. It's like 7" across.

Here's my KING... I think. Mine seems to have a little more white on the falls than Laurie's. I don't know if they are the exact same iris. They also look like Brenda's Honorabile.
    {{gwi:698830}}

This must be another historic, I see it around a lot. I really like the look of a clump of these. Anyone have a name?
    {{gwi:698832}}

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oooooooooh, I love your AUTUMN CIRCUS and your unknown historical too Gil! I'll go back to searching ;)

{{gwi:707466}}
    Here's a more clearer photo of my RHEIN NIXE Historical Iris (Goos and Koenemann, 1910).
    I'm going to delete the other photo, so if you see an X, you'll know why ;)

Sharon

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

I love Rhein Nixe. So elegant and yet so hardy. Another view.

{{gwi:707623}}

Shelley

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Sharon, it sure may be Gracchus. The colouring on mine is a little paler/washed out than the photos on that site, but maybe that could be due to soil and/or temperature? Or it also could be just the way the camera captured the colours. The colours on mine(on my monitor anyway) are what it really looks like to my eye anyway.

Gillian, that Autumn Circus is a real stunner too! You gotta love flowers that huge.:0) And I think I may have the same historic as in your last photo. I don't have a name for it yet either. Gee, if we can get that one named, I'll only be down to having one noid left, and from the looks of it, it may not even bloom this year.

Yes, there's something just so elegant and classy about Rhein Nixe isn't there Shelley?

Little Showoff finally opened up tonight......it took 2 days for this guy to unfurl......talk about testing my patience!LOL

Btw, Sharon,

"Well if you gals can wait a year or two, I should have some extra CRANAPPLE rhizomes ;) "

Can I hold you to that?!;^)

• valleyrimgirl
    16 years ago

Better get some more posted before I am feeling 100% and spend all day in the garden...

So, here are some more irises...

Klingon Princess (SDB). I love the frills around the outside of the falls, it's almost like a little skirt.

{{gwi:695483}}

Lime Mist (SDB)

Little Annie (SDB)

{{gwi:695808}}

Little Episode (SDB). Everyone comments on this one.

{{gwi:695810}}

Live Coals (SDB). After a rain the other morning.

Nancy Butterfly (MDB)

{{gwi:701262}}

Navy Doll (MDB) had one bloom this year for its first time. I like it!
    {{gwi:701264}}

Neutron (SDB). I like the frills around the falls on this one and how the falls are perfectly horizontal.

{{gwi:701267}}

Northern Exposure (SDB?) bloomed for the first time this year.

{{gwi:701269}}

Olive Garden (SDB)

{{gwi:701649}}

Over Easy (SDB)

{{gwi:701652}}

Party Animal. I like this picture of Party Animal (SDB).

{{gwi:702076}}

Pele (SDB) is a multicolored iris. Love the oranges in it.

{{gwi:702077}}

Pixie Pirate (MDB)

{{gwi:702079}}

Prince of Burgundy (IB) is one of my favorite irises. I am sharing/trading with friends on this one before I sell any at my perennial sale or at the farmer's market.

Raspberry Jam (SDB). I have 3 large clumps of this one.

{{gwi:699944}}

Rhein Nixe. I also like the contrast between the standards and the falls. The standards are so pure white and the purple on the falls is so rich looking.

Roanoke's Choice siberian iris.

Royal Bee (MDB). I like the large blue-violet spot on the falls.

Royal Overtime (SDB) is a very very dark iris. Love it!

{{gwi:699949}}

Ruby Eruption.

{{gwi:699951}}

Ruffled Velvet Siberian Iris has the richest velvet looking falls I have ever seen.

Hope you enjoyed these irises. More to come later again.

Brenda

• northspruce
    16 years ago

I have another NOID, I thought it was the same as the other I posted but the falls are a lot darker. It smells a little like black licorice.
    {{gwi:698828}}

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Gillian, check out 'Neglecta' and 'Edina' on the link below. On this same page they also have Gracchus, which I'm thinking is the one I have.

Here is a link that might be useful: Antique iris

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Also check out 'Perfection'

Here is a link that might be useful: Perfection

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Laurie, actually I was looking at 'Perfection' on another site and thought that could be it. There's too much veining on the falls of the other two.

There do seem to be a few that have that general colour scheme, but I can't find one that looks like my lighter one. Oh well!

Here is a link that might be useful: Another view of Perfection

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

I'm pretty sure your last noid is Perfection, Gillian. I found this webshots page. It's a guy named Rick, and he's got a lot of albums of iris pictures, and he's got a few just for historics. They're great pictures and his picture of Perfection is very close to yours, except his is taken in brighter lighting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rick's iris pictures

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Actually I'm gonna have to say it's not Perfection, unfortunately. Mine has a dark purple veined patch on each style arm - you can just see it behind the standard on my pic. I still haven't found any iris pic that looks like that. :0(

• valleyrimgirl
    16 years ago

I have some new irises blooming again. I took more pictures of each and they are in my album if you want to see other views of these irises.

Here is...

Aachen Elf (MTB)

Az Ap(IB). This one just got identified. I love it!

Bantam (SDB). This one also just got identified.

This one was just called Cherry. Since I could not find any other pictures to compare it to I will assume it is blooming correctly.

Kaleidoscope (MTB) is quite interesting.

{{gwi:695482}}

Merit(MTB)

Loreley (IB) blooming this morning...

Brenda

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Brenda, Kaleidoscope is indeed interesting!

• valleyrimgirl
    16 years ago

I was planting some perennials into one of the flowerbeds yesterday and found 3 bee pods on the irises in that bed. 2 on Party Animal (SDB orange with large red-brown spot on falls) and one on Little Episode (SDB dark violet with lighter violet edge).

The other irises in the same bed that bloomed at the same time are...
    French Wine (MDB dark purple)
    Gleaming Gold (SDB dark yellow)
    Joanne Taylor (MDB with white standard and falls with deep violet spot on falls)
    Olive Garden (SDB lime greeny yellow)

Could be quite interesting to see what kind of combination there would be from these parents.

For those who have never seen a bee pod of an iris, this is what they look like. This one is about 3" long.

Brenda

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Ahhh, so that's what they look like. Nope, I don't think I have any of those coming on any of mine yet.

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

I forgot to post the picture of Siberian iris 'Grandis' which is blooming today.
    {{gwi:707664}}

This is only it's second year, and it's got a ton of flowers on it. I'm sure it'll end up being one of my favourites for years to come.:0)

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

3", I wasn't expecting the pods to get that big Brenda.

• valleyrimgirl
    16 years ago

Shelley, hopefully a 3" long bee pod means lots of seeds, 'cause I really want to try the seeds off this one since it is from Party Animal.

Brenda

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

{{gwi:707665}}

Is this Iris sibirica GRANDIS as well?

Sharon

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

I don't know Sharon if it is. The falls on my Grandis appear to be wider than the ones in your picture. Brenda was telling me about another sib that she has blooming right now that looks a lot like Grandis. She said she had to have the flowers side by side to really be able to tell them apart, because the colouring and markings were so close. If my memory serves me right, the other maybe was called Painted Desert? Brenda was I right?

I have another iris blooming today, and from the pictures that I've found, as well as Gillian, I'm pretty certain that this one is historic TB Perfection.
    {{gwi:701982}}

So that brings me down to only having one noid iris in my yard, yaaayyyy! Yes, ok, I'm anal!;^)

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Oh that's pretty Laurie, it's similar colours to mine but I also forgot to mention, mine is not a TB, it's at least an SDB if not a MDB. I have been checking out the gardens around town (as always!) and I have seen some I'm sure are Perfection, they are quite tall.

• valleyrimgirl
    16 years ago

Sharon, I am not sure what you have there. I agree with Laurie, it is similar but the Grandis seems to have wider falls.

Here is a picture of Grandis

This is the iris, Painted Desert that Laurie was mentioning. I was having a hard time from a distance telling them apart. But when I inspected them closer the Painted Desert has a bluer coloring to it and the white spot in the center of the falls is not as large as Grandis. Also the yellow at the top of the falls is solid whereas the Grandis seems to only have it on the sides.

Also blooming today are two new ones in the yard...

Caesar's Brother Siberian Iris...

Dear Delight Siberian Iris...

Brenda

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank Brenda, mine sure looks like your Painted Desert. I'll have to look it up and compare with more photos. This sib was here when I moved here.

Wow, Caesar's Brother is sure blue! I saw that one at Extra Foods the other day, just might have to get that one too ;)

Sharon

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    16 years ago

Besides Rhein Nixe, this is the only iris i have blooming now:

It's a Siberian Iris from a mix i bought a couple of years ago - i think they're a mix of the same plant because they're all the same!

I keep forgetting to take a picture, but in one patch of Rhein Nixe, there's a renegade yellow and purple one. I'll have to get a picture tomorrow and maybe someone will know what it is.

• valleyrimgirl
    16 years ago

Ready for a few more iris pictures?

Here is Sheldon Butts

{{gwi:702598}}

Show me Yellow

{{gwi:702599}}

Skywings Light Siberian iris should be opening any day now.

Snow Queen Siberian Iris

{{gwi:702600}}

Sparkling Chablis

Sparks Fly

{{gwi:702601}}

Spartan

Spice is Nice

{{gwi:702602}}

Spot of Tea

{{gwi:702603}}

Spring Bonnet

{{gwi:702605}}

Stitch Witch

Summonded Spirit

Sweet Dalmation Variegated Iris. The foliage is variegated creamy yellow and green but the pale purple flower is nothing to speak of.

{{gwi:702607}}

Hope you enjoyed these pictures. More to come in a week or two to finish off the alphabet of the irises that have bloomed or are currently in bloom in my yard.

Like I have mentioned before you are welcome to just go to my album in Photobucket to see more pictures of irises (or lilies or daylilies or other perennials) at...

http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a184/valleyrimgirl/irises/

Brenda

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

{{gwi:707677}}
    ERAMOSA MISS BB (Chapman 98) M 24" light apricot pink standards; falls darker with lighter center; apricot beard; ruffled.
    A little beaten up from the rain last night ;)

Sharon

• savona
    16 years ago

Do any of you ladies have a clue what iris this one is? A friend gave me a piece of one she dug out of a compost heap...lol..it is 37 inches to the top of the highest bloom
    {{gwi:707679}}
    {{gwi:707681}}
    savona

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

One of my Siberians have started to put on a show.
    {{gwi:707682}}
    Siberian Sparkling Rose

Shelley

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

I love the veining on Sparkling Rose Shelley....very pretty!

Savona, that's a lovely iris, but I haven't seen anything quite like it before, sorry.

Here's pic of Buddha and species iris Setosa.

A close up of Setosa
    {{gwi:702568}}

Laurie

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Laurie I love your iris with the Buddha. He looks like he is meditating on it... LOL.

Here's my latest, BLUEBERRY ICE

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

I love your Buddha too Laurie.
    Blueberry Ice is stunning Gillian. I love irises with dark edgings. They are my favorites. It reminds alot of the Rare Treat that I have. I wonder how many there are that are similar.

Here is Spartan. It is hard to capture it's true colour.

{{gwi:707689}}
    Shelley

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    16 years ago

Immortality:
    {{gwi:698794}}
    After last night's rain and wind, it's lying a little flat. One bloom was shredded but there are two more buds. I planted this several years ago and it's the first time it bloomed, for some reason.

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Immortality is very pretty Marcia. I hear that some of those TB's can take awhile to settle in and bloom, so hopefully it'll bloom every year for you now.

Siberian 'Chilled Wine' opened up today.

I'm still waiting on one more siberian iris to bloom, and then after that, I think the iris season is all done for me.:(

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Budda looks so content, doesn't he.

{{gwi:707696}}
    CELEBRATION SONG TB (Schreiners1993) EL 37" Apricot-pink standards; lavender-blue falls; red beard. Freebie from Chuck.

Sharon

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

{{gwi:707697}}
    ENSIGN BB

Sharon

• valleyrimgirl
    16 years ago

To finish the alphabet from my yard...

A few from the A-S's that have bloomed recently...

Blue King, siberian iris. I love the rich dark blue falls on this first time bloomer.

Mother Earth, TB is still blooming in the yard. This is the first time it has bloomed here. I love it.

Now, for the T-Z's...

Tantara, SDB

{{gwi:702762}}

Tippy, SDB

{{gwi:702763}}

Toy Boat, SDB has a hint of blue in the white on the falls.

{{gwi:702765}}

Twilight Mood, SDB

{{gwi:702767}}

Velvet Toy, MDB

{{gwi:700617}}

Vintage Rose, SDB

{{gwi:700619}}

Vision in Pink, TB

{{gwi:700621}}

Wacko, SDB

What Again, SDB

{{gwi:700625}}

Wimple, SDB

{{gwi:700627}}

Windrose, SDB

Wizard of Hope, SDB

{{gwi:700631}}

Yankee Skipper, SDB

Yellow Flag, (I Pseudacorus)

{{gwi:703231}}

Yippy Skippy, SDB

{{gwi:703232}}

Still blooming in the yard...named irises...
    siberians...Painted Desert, Roanoke's Choice, Dear Delight, Ruffled Velvet and Skywings Light.
    TB's...Mother Earth, Breakers and Crimson Snow.
    Plus other noids.

But now, I am anxiously waiting for all the lilies to open. I have one open right now. I will post it on the lily thread tomorrow. I have 3 kinds of daylilies blooming. Of course, all the roses, alliums, sedums, poppies, peonies, gas plant, catmint, shasta and painted daisies, delphiniums, columbines, dianthus, spireas, lilacs, coralbells, masterwort, feverfew, etc are all blooming right now also. What a pretty picture. On Sunday morning, friends are coming over to have their family pictures taken in our yard. Perfect time of year...grass is green and flowers are blooming.

Brenda

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Two more TB's busted open today.

{{gwi:707712}}
    DARKSIDE TB

{{gwi:707713}}
    JURASSIC PARK TB

Sharon

• valleyrimgirl
    16 years ago

Love the color contrast on Jurassic Park, Sharon! Dark Side looks so rich with its ruffles and coloring.

Brenda

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

{{gwi:707714}}
    LORILEE TB, Schreiner, 1981, lavender rose-orchid self; white patch below gold beard.

{{gwi:707715}}
    {{gwi:707716}}
    I. sibirica 'Sparkling Rose'

Enjoy!
    Sharon

• valleyrimgirl
    16 years ago

My last iris to bloom is the Japanese iris, Picotee Wonder. Each year it has one or two blooms. This year only one, but, it is well worth waiting for. It is planted on the south side of my house, over top of the cistern and gets lots of snow cover in the wintertime. I bought it in 2003 and it seems to like it there, although it is a slow increaser of fans for me.

{{gwi:702078}}

Brenda

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

Brenda I picked up a Picotee Wonder at Wally World this spring. I hope it is as pretty as yours.

One of the TB irises that bought from Veseys last fall is blooming. It is mislabled. (Of course) It was supposed to be Wench but it looks alot like Violet Turner. The scent is divine.

{{gwi:707719}}

If anyone else has any ideas as to what it might be let me know.

Shelley

• valleyrimgirl
    16 years ago

Shelly, that is where I bought Picotee Wonder also.

No idea on your TB, but it is pretty. I love the orange beard against the dark purple falls.

I have one bloom left on one TB and that is on Breakers. Then they are all done until next year again. :(

Brenda

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

{{gwi:707722}}
    Iris sibirica Moonsilk

Sharon

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm quite shocked to see this blooming today. I purchased this one just this Spring.

COLOR BURST TB

Sharon

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Wow, what a great surprise Sharon! I'm sure TB's don't do that very often, do they?

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

I have another TB sending up a flower stalk too. It'll be interesting to see if this one is true to name.

Shelley

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Laurie, I'm not sure as I only had a few TB's in my garden, however this year I've collected quite a few ;)

Maybe this one is a rebloomer?

Sharon

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

Another TB Superstition.
    It is alot darker than I can capture with my camera.
    {{gwi:707729}}

Shelley

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Love the ruffles on Superstition, Shelley!

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living