Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valleyrimgirl

Campanulas 2007

valleyrimgirl
16 years ago

Since there are so many kinds of campanulas (bellflowers) I thought we could post the different kinds of campanulas we all have in our yards.

Peachleaf Blue. This one spreads by seeds, not too much by underground runners, but on the mulch it is very controllable.

I have now 4 campanulas that have huge bells on them. All stand between 12" and 18" in height and have similar looks to the plant although the leaves are all different. These all spread only by runners, but are very controllable.

Cherry Bells...

Korean (Takisenama)

Elizabeth (Thanks, Laurie. I love this one)

Sarasota. This one is listed as a zone 5 but last winter I had a little container of it that was divided off the main plant and forgotten about. It wintered on top of the ground and is growing just fine this year. That would make it about a zone 1 or 0 in my books.

{{gwi:702412}}

I have 2 that are similar in looks. This one is the Clustered bellflower (campanula glomerata) that lots of people have. Only spreads by underground runners, extreme spreading!

While this one, Caroline, looks similar but in the baby pink coloring. No reseeding, just underground runners, but controllable compared to the Clustered.

Blue Clips makes a nice little mound with its flowers above the foliage about 9-10". I do not find it reseeding, only its clump has gotten larger over the years. Next year I think I will divide it.

Bernice is my absolute favorite campanula. It does not reseed and its clump only slowly expands.

2 new purchases this year that Laurie and I shared (each paying half) were...

Milky Campanula by the name of Favorite which we got at Canadian Tire and has not bloomed yet.

And... Hot Lips. This one is blooming in its pot. The bells are about a third the size of Cherry Bells, Elizabeth etc and the plant will also not get as large. Laurie, is yours planted out and how is it...

Comments (2)