Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valleyrimgirl

Daylilies 2007

valleyrimgirl
16 years ago

My first daylily is blooming!!!

This is a Fulva daylily, I think. I love the dark coloring on the back of the daylily. I bought this daylily at a garage sale about 9 or 10 years ago. It is always the first daylily in my yard to bloom. Can anyone help out on its correct name?

{{gwi:709706}}

{{gwi:709709}}

I will be ading many more daylily pictures to my album this summer. For other pictures of my daylilies see my album at...

http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a184/valleyrimgirl/daylilies/

Brenda

Comments (60)

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

Stella is blooming.

I have scapes on 12 of my new daylilies already. Patience, patience.

Shelley

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Very nice Shelley! I also have problems with that patience thing too.;^)

My species dumortieri has been going strong for about a week now. I just love this golden yellow.

Up close.

Yes, the scapes are coming, the scapes are coming!! No, I'm not a bit excited.LOL

• valleyrimgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, the fasciation has its first bloom! It decided to twist upright and bloom facing upwards.

{{gwi:699608}}

If anyone is interested I spent a while the other night downloading over 100 pictures of daylilies that have bloomed in my yard (in 2005 and 2006) into my photobucket daylily album. I will be adding more pictures as new daylilies bloom for their first time in the yard.
    The address is...

http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a184/valleyrimgirl/daylilies/

Enjoy,

Brenda

• north53 Z2b MB
    16 years ago

I had planned to get rid of this daylily. It's been a very poor performer. I decided it was an inferior tissue culture plant. However this spring, the foliage was so healthy looking I relented. It surprised me with this bloom yesterday. Still I only see one scape, so it'd better do better than that if it wants to stay.

Blue Sheen

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Stella de Oro is putting on a real show now.

Close up.
    {{gwi:702564}}

And here's the second bloom on Strutter's Ball. I was away for the first bloom, so I'm not sure how this one compares, but the one petal on this one is kind of ratty. I do like the dark colour on it.

Laurie

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

Flava has been blooming for a while. I love the scent.

My first daylily that isn't yellow. You Angel You. I bought this one locally,so I don't know if it is true. The eye seems to be rather dark. Who knows the next blooms could be different.

Shelley

• valleyrimgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Shelley, my You Angel You has a red center. This picture was taken last summer. I have a number of daylilies with the purple eyezone and the creamy outer coloring on the petals but no double flowers like yours is. I love the purple coloring in yours though. Wonder what its real name is.

You Angel You...

{{gwi:703235}}

Today, my newest daylily to open is the Black Eyed Stella.

Brenda

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

My DM divided some of her daylilies this spring. I got 3 kinds. I'm not to crazy about this one and it needed a name so I'm calling it Fugly. I do not think that it will stay around in my yard to long.

• valleyrimgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Shelley, try googling 'Milk Chocolate' for your Fugly and see what you think.

Here is a picture of my Milk Chocolate, blooming for the first time last summer. It is the browny color of a Jersey Milk Bar. It is not that appealing but because of the color being different from all the other daylilies in my yard I am liking it more each year.

Brenda

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

A couple more opened up today!

Here's Prairie Blossom twins.
    {{gwi:701979}}

And Double Cutie

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

Laurie your Prairie Blossoms is really nice. I like the two tone colors.
    Brenda, I think my Fugly is Fulva. Here is a picture of it this morning. The color is more orange.

And my You Angel You could possibly be Roswitha. The color, height and size of the blooms match the description. Peach with a purple eye and green throat.A picture from this morning.
    {{gwi:709730}}

A new bloom on Anne Warner.

Shelley

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

Two more today.

Mary Reed

Strawberry Fields Forever. I bought this one from Botanus and worried that it would be a washed out TC. The color looks pretty good.

Shelley

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

It's the first year for my Mary Reed, and it's got a scape coming.....after seeing how rich the colour is on yours, I'm really excited to see it in person now!

SFF has wonderful colour! If it is a TC, it's a good one.....definitely a keeper!

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

Another two today. DM gave me this unknown one. It is a rich deep red.

Ruby Spider with a few too many petals. The flowers are huge.

Shelley

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

A couple more this morning.
    Helter Skelter

Always Afternoon

Shelley

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Wow, that Ruby Spider looks absolutely huge! And I bet that colouration really stands out in the garden too.
    Have you had Helter Skelter for very long? I love it's form.....so unusual.

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

Laurie, all of these daylilies are new this year.
    Last year all I had in my yard was
    Strawberry Candy
    Little Grapette
    Pardon Me
    Happy Returns
    Stella

Helter Skelter has huge flowers too. Here it is with Ruby Spider.

I see that purples are more color true in the afternoon on my camera. Or maybe they need sunlight to shine on them.

Shelley

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

I also really like the larger daylilies, as they seem to make such a statement when they bloom.

You sound a lot like me 3 years, as I only had about 5 or 6 daylilies, but in the last 2 years I've added 55 new ones, and also 35 of my own seedlings. The beds are starting to get fairly full now, so I'll have to slow down soon. It's a terrible addiction!;^)

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

You gals are so way ahead of me in bloom time, most of mine are just starting to bud. But I do have good news, finally, finally I have a blooming Stella! Those old ones will get dug up and composted since they have never bloomed for 6-7 years and are taking up space.

Shelley, I just LOVE your HS, although I really don't care for that name. LOL

Laurie, I was going to ask you how your seedlings are doing? I counted mine the other day and I have 51 seedlings. Some of them were albinos, or croaked from lack of watering or I accidentally got too close with the Round Up nozzle ;)

The beds are starting to get fairly full now, so I'll have to slow down soon.
    I've seen many acres in your photos! You got lots of room girl!

If this hot dry wind ever stops, then maybe I can take more photos ;)

Sharon

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Sharon, some of the seedlings are really doing great. One has shot out 2 new fans already, and when I planted them out, about 3 weeks ago, I was amazed at the size of the roots on some of them. Of course, there are a few that are still fairly tiny, but so far, even the littlest are putting on new growth.
    Ok, here's a pic of my healthiest seedling with 3 fans.

You know, I just checked out last years dl thread, and my daylilies are quite a bit slower than last year for blooming. It must have been the cool June we had, because I do have quite a few that are just sending up a scape now too. I've also noticed some of the leaves on a few are yellowing, and the odd scape that has formed are yellowing and the buds are browning on them. Mainly this is happening on the new this year dl's, but there are a couple from last year that are yellowing off too. I'm chalking it up to too much moisture, but I'm not 100% sure.

Yes, Sharon, the acres are there, but I'm not sure the energy is there!LOL I'm just thinking, that(I hope) I've got another 25 or 30 years of gardening left in me, but if I keep adding 25 daylilies each year, our 10 acres are going to get eaten up pretty quickly. And I'm not sure if I'll be able to afford the chiropractor bills after awhile!lol But, realistically I'm sure I'll find a couple of "absolutely must have, to die for" daylilies each year, and I do hope to keep dabbing some pollen just to see what I may end up with.;^)

• northspruce
    16 years ago

LOL at you guys hybridizing, it reminded me that I had a dream last night that I was pollenating daylilies and deciding what to cross with what. OMG I am a loser. LOL.

Here's my first DL of the year (besides a large patch of Fulva)... yours truly, Moi, the daylily named "Gillian"

The colour and form are a little funny but it's the first flower so I'm sure it'll settle in.

My DLs are slow this year too. Lots of scapes but this is the first bloom. Oh I am so excited, my Siloam Ethel Smith has like 8 scapes right now; this is its 3rd year and it's never bloomed before!

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Gillian, what gorgeous colour that one has! And it's going to have a spectacular edge on it once it's settled in from the looks of it.
    Hmmm, that's interesting about Siloam ES, mine's in its second year and there's no sign of any scapes either. Oh well, make sure you post lots of pics of her, so I can see what I'm missing!lol

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Thanks Laurie! The funny thing about Siloam ES is that it increased a LOT over the two years it never bloomed, now it's a big clump and has a lot of scapes. Weird.

Oh yeah I meant to point out that Gillian looks like a pollen slob. LOL. Look at it all over the place.

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Wow Laurie, you've got a good size seedling for its first year, hope its a winner!

Wowzy Gillian, you are so beautiful! I was going to say that she looks like she needs a bib ;)

Well by golly, this one surprised me today just after I wrote my last post. I bought this one last year and its blooming for the first time this year. The flowers are huge, I believe it was Marcia who made me order it ;)

SILENT SENTRY

Sharon

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    16 years ago

You all have beautiful daylilies! So far, i only have Stella D'Oro with blooms and there's a scape or two on some of the other daylilies. Laurie, i'm noticing a lot of yellowing on mine too and was wondering if it was due to all the rain.

Sharon, i'll post a picture when my Silent Sentry blooms - quite different from yours. Mine doesn't have the ruffled edges and the colour is a bit different. I can't remember where i got mine now - it was a few years ago. Probably Veseys. Where did yours come from?

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Marcia, I got mine from F&H, but apparently its no longer up at their website.

It looks pretty close to Tinker's photos. Just type the name into the Quick search bar.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tinker's

• valleyrimgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Gillian, what a pretty daylily! I think it will be a must have for my future wish list.

Love your Silent Sentry, Sharon. Mine bloomed for the first time last year. Yours is a purple and mine was a red. Interesting. When I google Silent Sentry, some sites say purple self for its coloring while others say a rich red or a brick red. Wonder why.

Here is mine from last year....

Here are a few blooming daylilies...

Bonanza

Popeye

{{gwi:702057}}

Siloam Tee Tiny

Siloam June Bug

{{gwi:702447}}

Exotic Echo

Chicago Picotte Lace

{{gwi:709749}}

Hyperion

Pixie Parasol

{{gwi:702055}}

Brenda

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

"Wow Laurie, you've got a good size seedling for its first year, hope its a winner!"

I'm thinking that because it's so vigorous, with my luck it'll turn out to be the ugliest daylily ever!lol

That's so weird about how different Silent Sentry is for everyone. Sharon's is almost identical to Tinker's first picture, yet in their last picture it's got a little more red in it, but nothing like Brenda's. Do you know where you got yours from Brenda? I'm just wondering if it may be a TC or not.

16 years ago

Sharon, i dug around and found a picture from last year that was still on Photobucket (which has been really slow lately).

I see the edges of mine are ruffled slightly - never noticed that before. The colour is much darker than yours. I remember that when i chose it, i wanted a red and yellow and even though i love it as it is, i was disappointed that it wasn't really red at all. Whatever catalogue it was showed it as red.

• northspruce
    16 years ago

I would say Sharon's vs. Marcia's is a normal colour variation, especially since the eyezone is the same. Brenda's doesn't look the same at all. Maybe it was mislabeled?

16 years ago

I can see a lot of differences in all three of them - besides the colour, the shape of the eyezones are different and the stamens are slightly different in colour in all three.

Brenda's is the colour i actually wanted!

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

I just love your daylily Gillian, Gillian. I feel like I am repeating myself. Let me know how it winters. Silent Sentry is on my wish list too.

I think that my daylilies are a bit earlier because I have them on the south side of the house. It's hot there and they seem to love it. I am having problems with one daylily's foliage turning yellow and the buds dropping off-Barbara Mithchel.

This one was open yesterday morning. I love it.
    Moonlit Masquerade.

These opened this morning.
    Ice Carnival

Another daylily from my mothers garden. Any ideas?

Blueberry Cream from Veseys of all places. I have to say very nice. And it is true to the color in their catalouge.

Shelley

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Wow if I saw Blueberry Cream in a catalogue I'd say - yeah right. It's beautiful Shelley.

I have a few new ones today...

Matt - thanks Laurie, I love it!
    {{gwi:701087}}

Gillian is in better form today - still got that pollen problem tho, LOL
    {{gwi:698121}}

Jerusalem - OMG the colour of this is unbelieveable.
    {{gwi:698961}}

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

Jerusalem is so bright.

Forgotten Dreams

Startle- TC. The color is so blotchy.

Shelley

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Just lovely DL's everyone!

Here's Bill, he is huge, thick and ruffled at the edges!

BILL NORRIS

Sharon

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Shelley, where did you get Startle from? Are you sure it's a TC? I've read somewhere that it can take a year to settle in and bloom properly. I've got a scape on mine, so it'll be interesting how it does bloom initially. Blueberry Cream is stunning too!
    Your Ice Carnival seems to be a lot more yellow than mine, but maybe it too needs time to settle in.
    Mine hasn't bloomed this year yet, but here it is from last year.
    {{gwi:696583}}

Gillian, I'm so glad that Matt bloomed for you already! Mine had it's first flower yesterday, but by the time I remembered to get a pic of it, the sun was way too low for a good shot. Matt was my first tet, and I'm sure noticing the difference in how slow they open up compared to the dips. The flowerbud on Matt first starting cracking at the tip on wednesday, and it took till saturday for it to open fully. Whereas, dips open the next day after the bud tip has split open a bit at the tip. How can you tell I'm not a patient gardener?lol
    Jerusalem kind of reminds me of that cheery yellow of a pumpkin flower.:0)

• valleyrimgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Shelley, I bought Startle from Jeffries Nursery in Portage 2 years ago. It bloomed the first summer just like yours, did not bloom last year but this year it has 3 fans, 2 having scapes. Hopefully it is not going to be blotchy like its first year. If so, I already talked to Jeffries and they will reimburse me for the money I paid for it as long as I bring in my receipt with me. But, Laurie and I ordered it in one of our orders this spring and that one should definitely be not tissue cultured (especially for the price we paid for it).

Silent Sentry was bought at Lindenberg's in 2004. It bloomed for the first time last year and I just assumed that it was the correct daylily. But when I google images all the images of SS look just like yours, Sharon. The yellow center in mine is even different than yours. Think I got a mislabelled one??? Guess I will have to wait until it opens this year and see what it looks like.

I love your Blueberry Cream and Forgotten Dreams, Shelley!! Whenever they are large enough to split.....want to trade???

These are some more daylilies blooming in my yard right now...

Spacecoast Gatoreye

Yellow Bouquet, bought last year. Reminds me of a miniature version of Double Cutie.

{{gwi:703234}}

Siloam Angel Blush

Raspberry Pixie has small flowers on 2 foot scapes.

{{gwi:699936}}

Purple Waters

Barbara Mitchell. I love this daylily.

Brenda

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

Laurie, I bought my Startle from the same place as Blueberry Cream-Veseys. You win some, you lose some. For the price I paid, it was worth a gamble. I can't wait to see what yours and Brenda's bloom like.
    Ice Carnival was bought from a private sale at the hort. plant sale. I paid a couple bucks for it. Who knows if it is true. Plus I took the picture early in the day. I'll pay more attention to the color on the next blooms. And next year as well.
    Brenda, sure I can trade my Blueberry Cream and Forgotten Dreams when the are larger.

Shelley

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

Another new one today.
    Fooled Me. Oh my it's bright.

Shelley

• valleyrimgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Shelley, Fooled Me is wow!!

More daylilies for me today...

Siloam Baby Talk

{{gwi:702433}}

Red Magic

{{gwi:699937}}

Double Cutie

Gretchen My Darling

{{gwi:698051}}

Lusty Lealand

Off to update the lilies....

Brenda

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

JERSEY SPIDER is loving this heat

EDGE OF DARKNESS tc

{{gwi:700568}}
    WILD HORSES - I'm so glad I ordered this one!

BLUE-EYED BUTTERFLY

Sharon

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Forgot this one....

BELA LUGOSI

Sharon

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Wild Horses is stunning Sharon!

Well, I have absolutely 'No Regrets' planting this one in my garden.;^)
    {{gwi:701235}}

It even had some carving on a couple of the petals, which I'm not sure if it was supposed to have.

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

Loving them all everyone.
    Daring Dilemma

Night Beacon

Shelley

16 years ago

Stella is blooming for me, but i missed a picture of it with several open flowers. Only one in this pic. :)
    {{gwi:698339}}

Here is Silent Sentry. It looks much the same as last year:

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

No kidding 'No Regrets' Laurie! I love that!

{{gwi:699911}}
    RADIANT GREETINGS

DRAGON SO

{{gwi:709800}}
    CHARMING HEART

Sharon

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

What an exciting morning for daylilies for me!

Here's the first flower ever on First Knight. I'm thinking I really do like chicken fat.;^)
    {{gwi:699657}}

First flower ever on Spiderman.
    {{gwi:702563}}

First flower ever on George Bingham.(Thanks Brenda!)

First flower ever on Asian Artistry.

Now for some just first flower of the season daylilies.

Morocco Red.....I love the black tinge in the red on this one.

Red Ribbons
    {{gwi:699881}}

Jersey Spider

And a noid that I think may be a TC Moonlight Mascarade.

• valleyrimgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Love the edges on First Knight, Laurie.

So many daylilies to post....

Here are a few new ones to bloom...

Mauna Loa

{{gwi:709808}}

Siloam Joy. Huge 5" flower on a 12" plant. Eventually it will grow to be 20" tall and have 5.5" flowers. But this year it is the first year blooming.

{{gwi:702445}}

Open Hearth

Dark Star

{{gwi:709810}}

Black Prince

Salieri

Bumblebee

{{gwi:709814}}

Bela Lugosi

{{gwi:709816}}

Eenie Weenie

George Bingham

Angel Artistry

Fatal Impact

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

Oh lots of nice ones to see.
    A couple new ones today.
    Designer Jeans. This one has really big flowers. I thought it was going to be a bit more of a clear pink. Maybe the heat has something to do with it like the other post suggests.

Another fugly one. This was supposed to be my El Desperado.
    I already wrote Betty about a mislabled daylily.

Maybe we should do a new August posting for Daylilies too. Before this one gets too big. I'm sure we all have lots more to come.
    Shelley

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Ok I will go start a new thread... I'm having a hard time loading this one too.

Shelley, your mislabeled orange looks like Sammy Russell or Autumn Red, perhaps.

Brenda, I have almost bought Mauna Loa a couple of times... I think I will have to do so next time! I like that one.