Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northspruce

Gardens week of June 13 2010

northspruce
13 years ago

Halfway though the week already - here's what's going on around here:

Giant Alliums:

Bridal Wreath Spirea and the corner of my yard that I'm trying desperately to make look better. It's such a mess.

'Rio Samba' rose, new this year. Will it be an annual? We shall see.

TB iris 'Hollywood Nights' This pic does it no justice. It's almost the size of my head and sparkly purple-black. Looks like the only TB that will bloom this year too. :(

And a nameless historic iris

Comments (11)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Very nice, Gil! I was going to say your irises are Rhein NIxe but they're more purple than white, so i guess not. Still pretty, though, and nice to have blooming this time of year.

13 years ago

Here are mine, finally, when it's almost time for a new week!

The container on the deck:

Aruncus:

Polemonium album blooming:

Tiarella 'Spring Symphony':

Columbine 'Music':

Heuchera:

Some different Siberian irises:

I can't remember the name of this iris, but i'm glad i got the picture when i did. Something (possibly one of the dogs) knocked it over and broke it right off. :(

Alchemilla - it's starting to self sow, and i've been moving it around and have some to give away as well. I really love it!

Petunia 'Burgundy Star':

Lupines:

An American goldfinch:

• xtreme_gardener
    13 years ago

Just georgous flowers! I've got my fingers crossed for your rose, Gil. It is very striking.
    I finally got out, not early enough to catch the best light though, and took some garden photos. We've been extremely dry untill 2 days ago and then a nasty -4 overnight last week has got me a little down, but we had a good rain since and things (and me :')) perked up.
    Not alot blooming, but the beds have filled in. The early iris's are over, but I had some freshly divided clumps put on a great display next to the shed.
    {{gwi:711442}}
    in the process of digging out quack from a new bed on the right...I'm thinking roses or peonies next year.
    {{gwi:711444}}
    {{gwi:711446}}

{{gwi:711448}}
    seashell peony really put out this spring and looks like alot of buds...yay!
    {{gwi:711450}}
    wild honeysuckle coming along and siberian iris

{{gwi:711451}}

{{gwi:711452}}
    some herbs planted out...sage, tarragon, cumin, basil(under the jugs)all wintersown and transplanted but for the basil I started inside.
    {{gwi:711454}}

{{gwi:711456}}
    some greens.
    {{gwi:711458}}
    loaded saskatoons...can't wait for these!
    {{gwi:711460}}
    pathetic winnipeg parks rose...the worst off but my morden blush is only about 8" high! not sure what happened. how long do these roses live if healthy?

• Laurie_z3_MB
    13 years ago

What great photos ladies! Gillian, Rio Samba is such a hot looking babe, I sure hope it over-winters for you!

It's been so long since I posted pics on here, I hope I remember how to do it...

Ok, so I moved into a new house this April and have done some new planting, but there were some plants here from the old owner. In the front of the house are a couple of peonies:

Anybody up for some ID's??
    Peony A

Peony B

An island bed in the front yard that I planted up a couple of weeks ago.

Our front yard faces east and has 2 huge elm trees shading it as well, so it's perfect for hostas.:)

Another island bed in the front yard that I planted 2 weeks ago

I added the hostas and veronica and mulch in this raised bed on the weekend. I sure hope they do ok through the winter in here.

And this is the other raised bed in front.

The front planters are looking decent.

Delphinium that came with the property.

So the front yard is looking pretty decent, but the back yard is a different story.:(

Shasta daisies everywhere!!

They are pretty, but they've reseeded so thickly that even the dandelions, chickweed, portulaca, spurge and cleavers are having a hard time getting through!:s

In the midst of the daisies, lies a rose, which is a beautiful, rich red and I think might even be Emily Carr, which would be wonderful!

A purple lupin plays "Waldo" amongst the daisies.

TB 'Dolce Acqua'

TB 'Spartan'. Marcia, could this be your mystery iris?

TB 'Sweet Musette'

And that's what's blooming in my yard for the time being.
    Laurie

• valleyrimgirl
    13 years ago

Gil, I love your rose too! Where did you find the TB Hollywood Nights? It reminds me of my Breakers which is blooming right now.

Marcie, is the picture of the dwarf bearded iris ... Little Annie?

Laurie, I am wondering if your second peony is Gay Paree? The first peony I have no idea. It is amazing how your backyard filled in with shasta daisies!!!!!! The front flowerbeds are looking wonderful. Give those hosta a few years to fill in and wow!

I will try to make some time to post pictures here shortly also.

Brenda

• Laurie_z3_MB
    13 years ago

Yeah, Brenda, the mosquitoes are loving hiding in among all the daisies!lol You could be right about Gay Paree, as I would imagine it would be a common peony.

• northspruce
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Brenda, I got Hollywood Nights from Chuck. It was new last fall and bloomed already this spring - bonus!

Laurie, is there any chance all those daisies are Scentless Chamomile? It can be a pretty invasive agricultural weed. The best clue is bruise a flower and smell it - shastas smell like sweaty feet and scentless chamomile is, well, scentless.

I'm jealous of everyone's beautiful lupines. I used to grow them at the old house but they just do not like it here.

• shazam_z3
    13 years ago

Peony B could definitely be Gay Paree, or perhaps Bowl of Beauty. Gay Paree is darker.

Peony A could be simply the ubiquitous unnamed 'Double Pink' peony.

13 years ago

Yes, Brenda, i thought after i had posted the pic that it was Little Annie i had taken a picture of, not one of the sibs. No edit feature here, though! And you're right, Laurie, that was the name of the iris. I had forgotten. I know i have tags somewhere, though!

Time to take more pictures!

• Laurie_z3_MB
    13 years ago

Hmm, I'll have to try bruising them Gil...maybe with a scythe!lol I brought a big bouquet of them into the house and thought the flowers smelled faintly like sweaty socks! But I'll try the bruising method and see. All I really need to know is if either one will be killed by roundup??;)

• maggiemuffin360
    13 years ago

This was taken a few weeks ago but I didn't get around to posting it.

Some visitors enjoying our back yard as much as we do!