Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marciaz3

Gardens, week of June 6th 2010

I have a faser computer this year, so i'm going to start posting weekly pics again. Everyone join in!

Here's my Shirley memorial bed, just the tulips blooming so far:

The irises are going nuts this year:

A rose my daughter gave me for Mother's Day:

A primula. This one may have been winter-sown:

Centaurea montana, not only blooming, but reseeding all over the place!

Clematis 'Pamela Jackman':

Trollius. I think i need another one!

Allium 'christophii', looking a little sparse this year:

Hesperis matronalis:

Comments (8)

• northspruce
    13 years ago

Yay, garden gallery time! Looking good Marcia! I need a trollius too...

Here are some of mine from the spring:

Jacob's Ladder, Polemonium caeruleum

Aquilegia flabellata, not a plant in a hurry. It was wintersowed 4 years ago, sprouted a year (!) later, finally decided to bloom.

Primula cortusoides, and our chipmunk named Mr. Chippy, who lives in a hole in the front lawn:

Tulip "Angelique"

New striped and fringed tulips from Costco - and like everything from Costco they were enormous. ;0)

Geum triflorum, also wintersown several years ago and just now flowering:

Crabapple

very seedy Columbines:

Clematis alpina, variety unknown

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Beautiful, Gil! Now i need one of those primulas! And a geum! And more tulips.LOL Your polemonium is further along than mine - the blue one, anyway. It's just starting. The white one has a few more blooms.

• northspruce
    13 years ago

I'll save you seeds Marcia. If Mr. Chippy has babies you can't have them though. ;0) My polemoniums just started blooming last week. My only complaint with them is they have a short bloom period.

Original Author
    13 years ago

That's okay about Mr. Chippy and his family. If they relocated here they'd just end up being dog food. :-/

I thought you were going to say that you'd send seeds if Mr. Chippy didn't eat them all! LOL I would love some of them! Only one of the ascelpias seeds you sent germinated - the container fell over, so that's probably why. The little petrohagia may have drowned - i'm keeping an eye on the container, but i think the tiny seedlings are gone.

• northspruce
    13 years ago

Dang, I don't know what was wrong with that Asclepias! I collected it wild in the fall, the pod was bursting, and I got zero germination from the ones I planted. Sorry!

I tried to save Primula cortusoides seeds last year but DH thought they were "dirt" and threw them out. The good news is they germinate perfectly many years later and I'm growing some new ones this spring from 2005 seed. Now those have a long bloom period, about 6 weeks in all. They are a great perennial.

• debbiecz3
    13 years ago

I love primula cortisoides! It is definately a great plant with a long period of bloom. I am trying to get it established all over the garden as it is one of my faves.

• xtreme_gardener
    13 years ago

Looking good, ladies :') I love the primulas. Marcia, did they WS well? I had one from a grocery store arrangement last at least 3 or 4 years and this year it never came back. I missed its early blooms.
    Hopefully I'll get some time to take some photos this week and share too :')

Original Author
    13 years ago

Marie, i have three primulas and two are from the grocery store!

It took a long time to come up from winter sowing, and when it did i wasn't sure that it was really a primula - i think only one seed ended up germinating. It was one of those things that i left for a year and then realized that it really was something. So i would say that it wasn't easy winter-sowing like some things.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?