Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northspruce

Gardens week of June 27, 2010

northspruce
13 years ago

Oops, I think we skipped a week! My roses are in full force right now and we're still getting a lot of rain.

My favourite rose, Mme. Plantier, aah she is lovely this year. :)

Used to be Rosamundi, has now almost completely reverted to R. Gallica versicolor

Sexy Rexy...

John Davis is about 6' tall and definitely going on an obelisk next year, he fell over:

Giant monster climber Polstjarnan - tons of little toonie sized flowers, pleasant light fragrance.

Peony Sarah Bernhardt or similar:

Comments (8)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    13 years ago

I was too busy to take pictures last week - finally did it today.

Peonies, first Shirley Temple, then Karl Rosenfeld and then Festiva Maxima:

Roses:
    Hansa

Henry Kelsey (Junior, son of the guy with the cowboy hat!)

Marie Bugnet:

Delicata and Clematis 'Durandi':

This is the first year blooming for this sib - Bridal Jig:

Lychnis 'Molten Lava'

Persicaria Polymorpha:

This basket of white petunias was awesome until the last rainstorm. Sigh...

Front bed:

• northspruce
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Argh, we need an edit feature! I meant R. Gallica versicolor is reverting back to R. Gallica officinalis.

Marcia, do you have your peonies backwards? The first one looks like Festiva. I do like that anemone form white though!

I think my mislabelled Sarah Bernhardt might be Karl Rosenfeld - what do you think?

13 years ago

Definitely looks like Karl Rosefeld to me!

I can't remember offhand where i got Shirley Temple, so i hope it wasn't mislabeled! And since it's in my Shirely memorial garden, it had better be Shirley Temple!

I just googled it, and i don't know for sure now. I'd better find out where i got it from...

Here is a link that might be useful: Images of Shirley Temple peony

• northspruce
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't know what Shirley Temple is supposed to look like - it's your Festiva Maxima that doesn't look right to me. It's supposed to be a big solid bomb type, not a cup with little petaloids in the middle. This is what I've been calling Festiva - it's very tall with big heavy flowers. Sometimes it has more red, sometimes none at all.

Well whatever peonies you have, they are beautiful! I like the anemone form ones myself.

• Laurie_z3_MB
    13 years ago

Ahhh, your roses are lovely Gil! I love Sexy Rexy, how long have you had it?

Marcia, I'm wondering if my unidentified rose could be Henry Kelsey? Is yours a true red? and how big does the bush and flowers get? I really should take a sample flower around to some of the greenhouses to try and id it. Here's a pic of it.

I'm thinking that they are shasta daisies Gil as there isn't much scent to the flower at all, bruised or not. Oh well, their days are numbered whatever they are...(insert evil laugh here) ;)

This is some type of milkweed I think.

Mounds of sedum.

A very pretty and delicate looking columbine.

Maybe a Marie Victorin? Just a guess...

Of course there's a daylily 'Stella d'Oro' in my new yard, depending on space, she maybe looking for a new home soon...

Now one of the previous owners was huge into lilies and there are lilies everywhere here, so it will be interesting to see what kinds they are and how many of them I will keep and which ones will be hittin' the road.

This one's a keeper, it's small, only about 20-22 inches high and my guess would be 'Spirit' as it looks very similar to the 'Spirit' at my old place.

A yellow one...undecided whether he'll stay or not yet.

He's not a lily, but this guy's definitely a keeper!;0)

That's all that's blooming for me now, that aren't weeds anyway. :P

Laurie

13 years ago

Laurie, Henry Kelsey is a climber and no, he's not a true red. Champlain is, but yours looks like a H. tea shape, and Champlain isn't.

Your columbine could be 'Music' - looks like the one i have. It's pretty! I've recently seen a yellow one that i need. :)

• northspruce
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Laurie, I have had Sexy Rexy about 5 or 6 years now I guess. It's reliable but a small plant with fairly small roses and little shiny leaves.

Maybe your red is Hope for Humanity, or Emily Carr? It definitely looks shrub to me as opposed to HT. How wonderful to buy a house with a nice garden and not just full of goutweed and invasive daylilies...

• Laurie_z3_MB
    13 years ago

Ahh, Hope for Humanity could be it Gil. I had Emily Carr at the old place and these flowers are a bit smaller than I remembered, but it's close to that shade of red anyway. If Henry Kelsey is a climber then it's not a possibility for this one either as it's only about 25" tall.

No, there's no goutweed thank goodness or invasive daylilies but there's purple bellflower galore and those daisies and countless other weeds in the beds in the back yard. I'm feeling very overwhelmed by them at the moment. I'm not sure if it was just the lack of attention from the last owner that had the place for two years, or if she had some extremely terrible top soil brought in that was filled with every weed imaginable or what, but it's going to take me most of the summer to gain some kind of control over things.:( I've got about 80 or so pots of plants that I brought with me sitting and waiting for a permanent spot and I don't know when that's going to materialize. Oh well, baby steps, right?lol