15 years ago

And they are starting.

Madelines Choice

I love the buds.

Shelley

Comments (40)

• Laurie_z3_MB
    15 years ago

Ooooo, very pretty, Shelley! Those buds are really cute looking too. It'll be awhile before I have flowers, as the buds are still pretty tiny. On the other hand, they are calling for some fairly hot weather for the next week, so that may get them growing in a hurry.

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Prairie Peace has finally opened a flower. It is loaded with buds again this year.

Shelley

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I missed this rose earlier today.

Felix Leclerc. The next blooms only will get better. The color is really hard to capture. It glows when you see it in person.

Shelley

• debbie_z2
    15 years ago

Your roses are lovely Shelley! Can't wait till my little Prairie Peace roses get like yours!
    Deb

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm really liking this one. The color is lovely and probably because it is early.

Definitely a nicer picture of Madelines Choice.
    FYI Madelines Choice and Prairie Peace are both bred by Erskine.

Deb,PP is a monster. She keeps getting bigger every year.

Shelley

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

FFO Wasagaming.
    I planted this one in 2007.
    It has a similar fragrance to Theresa Bugnet.

Shelley

• debbie_z2
    15 years ago

My Morden Sunrise started blooming over the weekend. I love this rose so much, I bought another this spring.
    It is a race between Emily Carr & Morden Blush for the next ones to bloom.
    New this year is Bonica...oh my, she is soooo pretty! I sure hope she makes it!!
    And I hope my PP gets a good size Shelley...I planted two at my back chain link fence.

Debbie

• leo_prairie_view
    15 years ago

Shelley, Thanks for the pictures. My wife is visiting our grand children so I don't have a camera. This is the first year for Wasagaming fo me too and it is magnificent. Huge clusters of very full blooms. Suzanne was the first to bloom and was covered from top to bottom. 'Prairie Magic' is just starting to bloom and makes a very refined impression, not so blowzy or "wild" as the 'Prairie Peace' and Suzanne.

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I love Bonica Deb. I planted it this spring too. I can't wait to see it in person.

Leo I wish you had your camera. I'd love to see your Suzanne and Prairie Magic. I purchased both of them this spring too.

My Marie Bugnet is blooming. It is in bad need of a shot of iron. She has a severe case of chlorosis this year. And the weevils are at it already.

Shelley

• garden_chicken
    15 years ago

I can finally contribute! Here is an Austrian Copper that I put in a couple weeks ago, it came from the garden center loaded with buds.
    I only hope I can encourage it to bloom like this in years to come.

Shocking!
    {{gwi:711963}}

• debbie_z2
    15 years ago

Does Marie smell like Theresa Shelley?
    and that Austrian Copper is adorable! How big will it get?
    Another new rose for me this year is Rugelda Pavement and I think I may really, REALLY like this rose.
    Does anyone else have it and if so, how does it winter over? and how big does it normally get? Tag says 3ft high x 2 1/2ft wide,which will be perfect for where I planted it.

Debbie

• shazam_z3
    15 years ago

What?!? There's a yellow pavement rose? I was looking at the foxi pavement rose at the garden centre a couple of days ago, the blooms are HUGE and the fragrance amazing. If rugelda pavement is like that...

• Crazy_Gardener
    15 years ago

Debbie, no I don't have Rugelda Pavement but its on my wish list now ;)

Here's a link to my 2008 roses, Suzanne is in there.

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: Sharon's Roses 2008

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Marie does smell, but not like Theresa.
    I've had Rugelda for a couple years now. She can grow quite big. I love her too. Mine wasn't sold as a Pavement rose though. I find that she dies right down to the ground. But bounces back well.

Thanks for the picture Sharon.

I love Austrian Coppper. I remember looking at that one once upon a time.

Shelley

• Happy2BeeME
    15 years ago

Rugelda is listed on help me find at US zone 5b. Does that sound right? How does that compare with where you are?

also says it's 6-7' tall x 4' and bushy a bit different than the tag Debbie has. If it dies back to the ground it can grow that much?

The pictures are very nice. Might be something I will need.

Karyn

• shazam_z3
    15 years ago

The helpmefind.com zone ratings are mostly wrong.

• prairierose
    15 years ago

My MIL had a beautiful Austrian Copper rose. It was very tall - 6-8 feet - right beside the house on the south side. You could look directly at the blossoms through the kitchen window above the sink. I tried growing one, but it was in a bad spot and struggled to reach 3 feet. I'll have to try it again in a better place.

Connie

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My Rugelda probably grows 5 ft tall or so. It isn't blooming yet and but the colors look right. Here is a photo from last year.

I'm zone 2. So it is hardier than a zone 5.

Shelley

• leo_prairie_view
    15 years ago

Here is Prairie Magic

I tried to get a picture of 'Suzanne' but it is clear that I am no equal to Shelley when taking rose photos and I just couldn't get its delicate colours.

• Crazy_Gardener
    15 years ago

Rugelda is gorgeous Shelley!

Therese Bugnet

Agnes

{{gwi:696904}}
    Harrison's Yellow

Sharon

• Happy2BeeME
    15 years ago

Thanks Shelly-- That photo is beautiful :) I'm very glad to hear this rose does well for you.

There's my Theresa, thanks Sharon. Yours has a great shape to it and looks very happy.

I haven't got any great roses like you all do but here is my Distant Drums from a few days ago before the buckets of rain....

And this one is an Austin don't remember the name, it has been limping along for 3 years...This is about as tall as it is.

{{gwi:243793}}

Keep those beautiful rose pictures coming....

Karyn

• Happy2BeeME
    15 years ago

Had to get outside some today.

The tag said iceburg but i'm not sure, it will be almost as tall as the hosta by the end of summer. But I like it.

An unknown rose and peony

Karyn

• shazam_z3
    15 years ago

And so it goes...

William Baffin

Prairie Joy. Absolutely stunning

Morden Amorette about to open

Therese Bugnet, more Hansa, Hunter, George Vancouver, and Turbo are about to open.

Lambert Closse and Topaz Jewel are going to be a little later, it seems.

• debbie_z2
    15 years ago

oh boy, where to start with "I like"
    Suzanne & Prairie Magic are tops!
    Love Karyn's unknown rose and so glad I planted Theresa where I did, after seeing Sharons!!!
    And I toy'd with William Baffin for two years...I hear he can be one thorny "monster"...is that true?
    and forsure, am on pins n needles waiting for my Prairie Joy to bloom, she is loaded:)
    My Rugelda opened up fully like your pic Shelley and my tag says it is a compact growing shrub with masses of blooms from summer through early fall. Zone 3 ~ 3' x 2.5'
    I hope mine stays close to that size (especially the width)
    and lastly, I think I just spent the best $7 (and change) with the following rose. NOW I can totally appreciate why many of you work so hard to winter over a David Austin rose.
    This is Graham Thomas starting to open
    Deb
    who I struggled to lug into the house tonight while a wicked storm hit:(

• Happy2BeeME
    15 years ago

Hi there Debie,

That's a keeper & for $7!...I love the shape of the flowers, now I have to hunt for one again. I had wanted the GT but the day I had a chance to look around the nursery without my 2 year old granddaughter, I only could find the GC and a Teasing Georgia, so they both came home with me. I might be sorry as I think these are grafted and not own root.

Shazam,
    Morden Amorette look at that bud! Do they all look like that? I have had my eye on William. I'm a bit iffy about trying a climber, never had one.

:) Karyn

• CrazyDaisy_68
    15 years ago

Oh WOW all these roses are amazing! My Morden Belle is loaded with buds that promise to open very soon **I hope** Everything is so late or making sparse showing this year but seeing my rose so full of buds the other day actually snapped me back into gardening-mode (and having time off from work for the next few weeks sure helps too! LOL)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    15 years ago

The only bud i've seen so far is on Delicata in spite of the fact that it has ended up behind some monster hollyhocks. I'll be stalking that bud with my camera now. :)

• debbie_z2
    15 years ago

GT is grafted, so won't even attempt to winter it over...unless any of you think it "could" in my dirt basement? (basically a pit that houses the furnace/waterheater,etc) Deb

• Laurie_z3_MB
    15 years ago

Oh, so many beauties out there! My roses are so far behind everyone else's this year....but I do have one that opened up the other day.:)

Henry Hudson is just loaded with buds, and I can hardly wait for it to be smothered in blossoms.

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Leo. I love Prairie Magic.
    I have to try more Austins. A project for next year.

Prairie Peace is putting on the show again.

William Baffin. New this year and quite pleased with the color.

Frontenac

Emily Carr.

A much nicer picture of Marie Bugnet.

Same with Felix Leclerc. I cannot capture the vibrant color.

Shelley

• northspruce
    15 years ago

LOVE that Prairie Peace Shelley!!

My first rose for the year is AGNES, it's really beautiful in its second year, thanks for the recommendation Sharon.

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am going to have to try Agnes next year. She is such a nice soft yellow.

Winnipeg Parks

Morden Sunrise

Shelley

• shazam_z3
    15 years ago

My Turbo, George Vancouvers and Morden Amorette all bloomed. However, I took pictures today and they were awful. It was too sunny. I'll have to try again tomorrow morning.

• debbie_z2
    15 years ago

Morden Blush started yesterday, and Emily Carr is opening today. Prairie Joy which is new for me this year, just exploded in the afternoon heat! LOLS...but was much too bright out to get a decent pic
    Deb

Morden Sunrise has been going for a few days

another new one for me, is Pink Grootendorst (pic taken awhile back on a cloudy day)

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

A few more opened up today.

Cuthbert Grant

Frau Dagmar Hastrap

Prairie Joy

J.P. Connell

And my favorite...Honeysweet.

Shelley

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    15 years ago

Delicata opened yesterday:

• xtreme_gardener
    15 years ago

Shelley, your picture of Cuthbert Grant makes it look like its made of red velvet...nice!

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cuthbert Grant has a lovely sheen. So does Felix Leclerc, but I cannot capture it.

• shazam_z3
    15 years ago

Cuthbert Grant is lovely. I finally saw it in bloom this week at the garden center and I will have to find a place for it. Also, it has a nice shape even when open.

Here we go:

George Vancouver. Depending on your monitor this may look extremely weird:

Full bush shot. These stay quite compact:

My other George Vancouver:

Morden Amorette. Beautiful when fully opened. Really frilly, which was a nice surprise. Again, another bush that stays compact.

Therese Bugnet:

Turbo. These blooms are quite large:

William Baffin going koo-koo:

Hansa:

Prairie Joy, again, just because it's so beautiful:

• ostrich
    10 years ago

Pardon me for reviving this thread! I have been looking for information on Rugelda and there is so much conflicting information on the internet about this rose! Then I found this thread.... ;-)

Since I saw that at least Debbie and Shelley have had this rose now for a few years now, I am wondering how it is still doing? How big has it got for you? I hope that it stays compact because I don't have a lot of space here...

As for disease resistance, how do you rate it? Is it susceptible to black spot and other diseases?

Thanks!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES