Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sazzyrose

Lilies

sazzyrose
17 years ago

Today I bought a camera. I thought that I'd start a thread with lilies. Here is a picture of my Purple Reign. This one is so pretty

{{gwi:712202}}

Shelley

Comments (115)

• cailinriley
    17 years ago

My lily wish list is getting unmanageably long!!! I love the ones with eyes and splashes. I HAVE to get 'Kentucky'--what a beauty!!

Here are a couple of mine. More to come when Photobucket starts cooperating.

{{gwi:712418}}
    'Grand Cru', I believe.

{{gwi:712421}}
    'Latvia'; the top flower and the others are from two different vendors. I think I like the softer one the best, although the others are quite dramatic. You can just make out one 'Suncrest' flower peaking behind the softer 'Latvia'.

I think I'll go to bed, now. ;-)
    Doris

• north53 Z2b MB
    17 years ago

Just had to share a couple more from today. Sharon, that
    LA 'Kentucky' is gorgeous!
    I'm so excited to see this LA hybrid 'Suncrest' finally blooming this year. It only has two buds, though.

I don't have the name for this yellow, but it's a very good performer.

• northspruce
    17 years ago

Awesome lilies everyone, I love looking at them! I have added 'Embarassment' to my list. And I love 'Grand Cru' too but it might be a little too similar to my Cheops to bother ordering...

Here's my 'Modern Style', it is scented as someone mentioned. It's very short though, only about 18". Can't remember how tall it was supposed to be.
    {{gwi:697380}}

This is my unknown Yellow that I bought at a nursery when I was 16 and it has been with me ever since. It was my first perennial :0) LOL
    {{gwi:697597}}

• northspruce
    17 years ago

Oh, I meant to ask you ages ago, Brenda, do you know the name of the pink & white lily that Laurie thanked you for on the 16th? I really like it!!

I also forgot to say how much I like Sierra's L. rubrum (sp?), wow what great colours!

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Gillian, was it the last picture of a pink and white lily with spots? If that's the one you're asking about, the name is 'Something Else'. It was hybridized by the people who started the Lily Nook. I love it too. I can hardly wait until it's a huge clump!

• cailinriley
    17 years ago

A few more today:

{{gwi:712432}}
    I think this one is 'Impact'--a gift from a generous gardener. I love purple and orange together!!

{{gwi:712435}}
    'Amarone'--the fragrance of this one, in the afternoon, is heavenly. I have several bulbs planted together (bought at Costco last year--large bulbs for a great price!), so the perfume is VERY noticeable when you're close to the flower bed. A nicer fragrance, IMO, than Orientals.

{{gwi:712437}}
    An overachieving 'Lollipop'--10 petals, or sepals, or tepals, or whatever they're called!!

• cailinriley
    17 years ago

Laurie, you'll have to tell us if 'Fancy Crown' survives the winter. I love the colours--actually, there are very few lilies I DON'T like...

Here are a couple more of my favourites:

{{gwi:712439}}
    Red Velvet

{{gwi:712441}}
    Tiger Babies

• SeaOtterCove
    17 years ago

Great lilies everyone. Many of these had now made it onto my 'Must Have' list. Here are a few from my yard.

Syreeta

• sierra_z2b
    17 years ago

Syreeta....Does that last one have a name? I am going to search for that one! I love the colour!

Gil, your yellow lily looks like citronella, I think.

Sierra

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

{{gwi:712452}}
    {{gwi:712454}}
    OA 'Fancy Crown' Lily, they just keep blooming and blooming!
    I have Coreopsis tinctoria 'Dwarf Red' as a filler along with these lilies, really picks up the red in the petals.

{{gwi:700722}}
    'Tabasco', a powerful orange that will knock your socks off when seen in person.

{{gwi:697507}}
    Asiatic 'Starburst'

{{gwi:712457}}
    Asiatic 'Black Velvet', I thought these would be more black.

{{gwi:712459}}
    LA 'Presto' Lily

Sharon

• northspruce
    17 years ago

Oooooh... aaaaah! Those Crowns! Wow!

Laurie, Something Else, LOL! LOL! LOL!!! I thought you just didn't know what it was. LOL some more...

Well whaddya know... I was out looking at my unknown yellow this evening, and it has bulblets on the stems! For the life of me I have never noticed them in all these years. So I guess that means it's a yellow variant of the tiger lily (??) Or does L. auratum 'Citronella' have bulblets too?? Guess what I'm harvesting this fall...

• SeaOtterCove
    17 years ago

Sierra, I can't tell you what it is. It is one of those oops from Botanus. I'd have to check my records for the name but I do remember it was suppose to be pink and white. I like it better than what I was suppose to get.

Syreeta

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Sharon, I see that your Fancy Crown has an extra little petal too. Do any more of the flowers have this? On mine the first two had 3 of those extra swirly petals, and then on the third flower it only had one extra.

Gillian, sorry I should've put apostrophes around Something Else. But it is a good way to keep you on your toes!LOL

Syreeta, I really love the colour of that last lily! I bet it glows in the moonlight.

• valleyrimgirl
    17 years ago

Gillian, sorry I didn't respond earlier. "Something Else" is a Barry Strohman lily. I have had it for 5 years now and get a lot of comments on it. It is one of my favorite lilies. Barry has quite a few lilies of his own. He quite often names them after favorite people...like his mom, his wife, etc.

Brenda (who is still trying to catch up in the yard and will post pictures in the lily and daylily thread sometime, hopefully soon)

• cailinriley
    17 years ago

Gil, I was browsing through Valley K's lily catalogue this evening. They sell 'Tinos', and this is what they say in the description:

"Starting with pale green in the throat, shading to vivid deep red, then orange-yellow and cream...We found in extreme heat there was no red present, but what a stunning lily under normal growing conditions!..."

You can't control the weather, but I wonder if the lilies would have more red on them if grown in semi-shade? I moved 'Granny' to semi-shade, since her colour faded very quickly in sunshine, and she looks so much better. It could be worth a try.

Doris

• northspruce
    17 years ago

Wow Doris, that is so interesting! I wondered if it was a cultural fault. But I don't know if I could grow it in more shade, I already have it in part shade and actually wondered if that was the problem. Maybe if I bury the bulb a little deeper? Hmmm.

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Orienpet 'Boogie Woogie'

I love the scent on this one!

• sierra_z2b
    17 years ago

"Or does L. auratum 'Citronella' have bulblets too"

Yes Gil Cintronella does have bulblets too. Basically its a yellow tiger lily.

Sierra

• sierra_z2b
    17 years ago

Syreeta, Do I win the prize of a baby bulb (when they multiply), if I can name all your other lilies. tee hee

Going to visit the Botanus catalogue again. LOL!

Sierra ;-)

• SeaOtterCove
    17 years ago

Sierra, sure I'll give you some when they multiply. Right now I have 5 bulbs.

Syreeta

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

Laurie, love your 'Boogie Woogie', mine should be opening soon too.

Sharon, I see that your Fancy Crown has an extra little petal too. Do any more of the flowers have this? On mine the first two had 3 of those extra swirly petals, and then on the third flower it only had one extra. Laurie, they seem to be random, all I know is that this lily just keeps ticking and ticking, as you can see in this photo, there is more blooms yet to come. I think I'll be ordering 'First Crown' this fall and see how that one performs.
    {{gwi:712463}}
    OA 'Fancy Crown'

{{gwi:712465}}
    Asiatic ÂCappuccino Tango, kind of looks like the Purple Reign, eh Shelley?

{{gwi:696575}}
    LA 'Iceberg'

{{gwi:700340}}
    LA 'Royal Cinnabar'

I just noticed too that the Starburst Lily that I posted last evening is not Starburst according to my label and invoice, it's HoneyBee according to their catalogue. Starburst is supposed to be red with black markings! Veseys has screwed up agian, here I go to write another letter folks. These mislabels are starting to get pathetic.

Sharon

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Looks like Purple Reign to me Sharon. LOL. At least you got your Dot Com. I'm crossing my fingers on that one .
    Shelley

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    17 years ago

More Centrefold - i love it!

A pink oriental whose name is lost in the mists of time:

Orienpet - 'Northern Carillon', i think:

Dot Com - she's pretty!

I'm not sure what this little one is or where it came from. It grew in a spot where i don't think i would have planted it - perhaps it's a migrated bulblet of something else that was in the same bed. The flowers are small, only about three inches across. It's cute, though.

• cailinriley
    17 years ago

Sharon, I love the colour of 'Royal Cinnabar'. And I most definitely have to get Dot Com next year!

Here's LA 'Aladdin's Sun'. It's a very pretty yellow--pale with a hint of chartreuse. I'm going to have to get it away from the gold heliopsis growing in the background! {{gwi:712481}}

{{gwi:712483}}

I'm wondering if my 'Amarone' is really 'Fangio'. I found a description and photo of 'Fangio' that really matches my lily--and it even mentions the fragrance. Who would have thought that bulbs bought at Costco could have been mislabelled? ;-)

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Here's Casablanca looking just splendid and smelling wonderfully :o)

I love white lilies!

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

Casablanca is gorgeous Laurie!

{{gwi:700005}}
    A good ol' gal called 'Shirley', never get tired of her.

{{gwi:697619}}
    Lilium pardalinum

{{gwi:700008}}
    LA 'Suncrest'

Sharon

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

'Shirley' is certainly lovely!

I was terribly excited this morning when I saw that orienpet 'Altari' had finally opened up. It was love at first sight!LOL It's got huge 7" blooms that smell divine.

Laurie

• northspruce
    17 years ago

OMG Laurie that is awesome!! It looks as big as my head! I love pink & white on lilies - 'Shirley' is beautiful too. My lily list is growing and growing.

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

'Altari' is now on my wish list! Love it!

{{gwi:712494}}
    Pink Tiger

{{gwi:712497}}
    LA 'Dazzle'

{{gwi:712500}}
    Another mislabel, this was supposed to be Lady Alice from Botnus, anyone know what it could be. It looks like Orienpet Easter Morn?

Sharon

17 years ago

Here are some white Orientals that are blooming this week. I think they could be "Olivia":

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Ooo, I felt a little 'Dizzy' when I saw this beauty!lol

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

Beautiful Orientals Marcia & Laurie, mine shouldn't be too long to open.

{{gwi:712505}}
    Orienpet 'Boogie Woogie'

{{gwi:700183}}
    Pink Tiger

{{gwi:712506}}
    Asiatic 'Sally'

{{gwi:712507}}
    Asiatic 'Pamela Jean

Sharon

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

I still find it amazing as to how many gorgeous different kinds of lilies there are out there. I just love everyone's pics!

Here's my last lily to bloom. This is 'Red Dutch' orienpet, that I picked up at the Lily Nook at last month's tour. Isn't it a beauty?
    {{gwi:700365}}

All the asiatics are done, just the orientals and orienpets are still blooming. Won't be long now before lily season is over :(

• northspruce
    17 years ago

Boooo! My Red Dutch didn't come up :0( Yours is beautiful Laurie. I hope it turns up when I dig up the bed to move...

I'm really loving everyone's Orientals. Just beautiful, all of them!!

• maggiemuffin360
    17 years ago

Oh, my - I'm in awe of all the beautiful lilies you folks are growing.

Realized I have two projects lined up for when win**r arrives - 1) figure out what I need to plant to have continuous blooming lilies (yahoo, that means shopping :-) and 2) do a sketch of what is growing where in each of the beds so that I'm not planting them on top of each other.

Yikes, that means I better get organized soon and take lots of photos.....

Casablanca and Lollypop are blooming profusely in my garden - just realized what a wonderful scent Lollypop has.

Margaret

17 years ago

Laurie, my Red Dutch bloomed today (no pics yet), but it's tiny! I wonder why. Pretty, though!

Margaret, i have one bed pretty much devoted to bulbs. It was going to be all lilies but i wanted bloom from spring on, so there are crocuses and daffodils in it too. There's a big bloom gap, though, so i think i'll put some alliums in there this year. I usually put glads in there to carry on the bloom time a little longer but i never got around to planting any this year.

• sierra_z2b
    17 years ago

Uhhhhhhhh Marcia.....I planted enough glads for both of us. LOL. Lets just say...."I GOT GLADS" errrr EVERYWHERE! Them along with my 'kelvin floodlight' dinner plate dahlia...seem to be stopping traffic going by. LOL!

Do tubers and rhizomes count as bulbs...do you have a dahlia, and iris in there....they will help extend the blooming period. I'm letting my one kind of alliums self-seed in the perennial bed....I planted 3 bulbs...but want more now.....so hopefully this will work. Ohhhh and since this is the lily thread...some species lilies bloom late.

Sierra ;0)

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Margaret, are you sure you've got Lollipop lilies blooming now? Mine have been done blooming for 3 weeks now, and they weren't scented. They're usually the first ones to bloom for me.

Here's a pic of my Lollipops.
    {{gwi:697588}}

Are yours the same?

Laurie

• maggiemuffin360
    17 years ago

Laurie,
    I thought they were Lollipop; however, given my admitted propensity for less than accurate recording of plant names, anything is possible.
    And now that I look at the photo, no way is that Lollipop.....???

Margaret

Â Â

• maggiemuffin360
    17 years ago

Also blooming this week....

Â Â

Margaret

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Margaret, they look definitely like some type of oriental lily. Personally, I think yours are much prettier than the asiatic Lollipop anyway!

Is your second lily a Golden Stargazer maybe? Sure is lovely!

17 years ago

Sierra, i haven't had much luck with dahlias this year. Two bloomed in late June or early July, but that was it. And those two haven't kept on blooming. Iris is a good idea. I'm sure one or two of them could find their way into that bed. My alliums haven't seeded for me. I collected seed from them and tried WSing them, but no luck. I'll just have to get more!

Margaret, i thought your lily looked more like 'Starfighter'. And if that's a golden stargazer, i can't wait for mine to bloom!

• maggiemuffin360
    17 years ago

Marcia - looks like it could be 'Starfighter'. Going to dig through all my records and see if I can find out.

Laurie - I do like them. They are in the garden that is right along the street, so the neighbours are enjoying them too..lol!

I planted 'Golden Stargazer' a couple of years ago, but thought I had lost it. However, this lily is quite a soft colour - more buttery and the flowers face downward. Thought Golden Stargazer had upward flowers...

Margaret

17 years ago

Another of my first Orientals, so i don't know the name of it either:
    {{gwi:712517}}

My little Red Dutch:
    {{gwi:712520}}

American Journey - only one bloom and it's facing the wrong way! LOL I had to hold back another stalk of lilies to get this picture:
    {{gwi:712522}}

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

Dang, why didn't I order 'Red Dutch' this year! It's gorgeous!

{{gwi:712524}}
    {{gwi:701322}}
    It turns out that have 2 tones of Oriental 'Dizzy', perhaps one is mislabeled? hmmm

{{gwi:700007}}
    Oriental 'Stargazer'

{{gwi:712528}}
    Orienpet 'American Dream'

Sharon

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

{{gwi:712529}}
    Oriental 'Expression'

{{gwi:712531}}
    Oriental 'Black Beauty'

{{gwi:700436}}
    Trumpet ÂAfrican QueenÂ

Sharon

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

Some late bloomers....

{{gwi:697620}}
    L. henryi

{{gwi:700718}}
    L. tigrinum

Sharon

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Ahhhh, what a lovely stroll down memory lane this was.

• brett.edholm
    10 years ago

I'm new to lilies. Contrary to the little info I've found so far, today when I opened one of my lily seed pods i found pea sized black balls instead of seed "flakes". Can anyone explain?

10 years ago

The "flakes" come from the bulbs that are in the ground. They're like little bulblets that will eventually produce a plant. The seeds will too, but i'm not sure if they'll come true. The "flakes" would, though.

Come over to the Discussions page - lots of great people and good advice there!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?